Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Council Meeting

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]

Hi

19. huhtikuuta 2012 12.43 Andrew Flegg <andrew [at] bleb> kirjoitti:

> On 11 April 2012 15:01, robert bauer <nybauer [at] gmail> wrote:
> > There will be a Council meeting (IRC - #maemo-meeting) at 15:00 UTC on
> > Tuesday April 17. Preliminary agenda is as follows:
> >
> > Preliminary Agenda:
> > 1. Welcome (back) to QGil/Update from Nokia(?)
> > 2. Community OBS
> > 3. Council Election voting
> > 4. Left-over topics from last council meeting (if timely)
> > A. Qt style license agreement for maemo
> > B. Co-maintainership for CSSU repo
>
> Will minutes, and a link to the full log, be circulated (preferably
> published on the Council blog) for those who couldn't attend but want
> to see the outcome?

yes. please. I missed the meeting and been waiting for the logs and minutes
to be published.

-Timo

> --
> Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew [at] bleb | http://www.bleb.org/

maemo at subs

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 03:21:38PM +0100, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> 3) Get a permanent licence grant for maemo.org to ship Nokia binaries
> (e.g. flasher, firmware) and use them in the build process (SDKs in
> autobuilder and COBS).

I think these two issues should be kept separate.

A redistribution licence for closed binaries is something extremely
unlikely to happen, time to accept that and move on.

On the other hand, use of nokia-binaries in builders should be already
covered by the existing licence[1]. The only problem areas that I can
see (IANAL etc disclaimers apply) are:

A. backups (only one copy permitted),
B. no legal entity to become the "Licensee",
C. agreements between licensee and "employees" (build service admins etc)

A is an annoyance, but we could probably jump through some hoops and
live with it as the bits in question are pretty much static. A possible
answer to B & C might be:

> 1) Create a self-governing, non-profit legal entity for maemo.org. It is
> unclear (to me), what this would accomplish.

Other options would be along the lines of another party such as Mer or
Nemein being the licensee and managing access.

L.

[1] Fremantle version: <http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/eula/index.php>.
The Diablo version in my scratchbox instance lacks clause 3.2 but is
otherwise identical.

maemo at subs

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 01:31:30PM -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> I sent a first question to the Nokia legal team and I got a first
> answer. They need to know the exact list of packages, with a special
> attention of any proprietary binary coming from third parties.

Here is a list of all 'nokia-binaries' packages that are build
dependencies of packages in Diablo[1] extras-devel/free:

libgpsbt
libgpsbt-dev
libgpsmgr
libgpsmgr-dev
liblocation-dev
libosso-abook-dev
libosso-rtcom-accounts-dev
osso-help-ui
osso-mission-control

That's just 9 packages out of a total of 72 (and a few of these look
like run-time dependencies accidentally also entered as build-time
ones).

8 of these declare (C) Nokia in their debian/copyright files. The only
exception is liblocation-dev which lacks any copyright/licence
information. This just looks like bad packaging, and the actual header
files all state (C) Nokia Corporation, but someone should check that
anyway.

However the real question for the legal team is whether anything more
than the current EULA is required for a /build service/, ie a situation
where the binaries are only present on a system in order to build packages
for Maemo devices (the "Purpose") and no redistribution is required or
intended.

L.

[1] I don't have the necessary marbles here to extract equivalent
Fremantle or Harmattan lists, but it should be just a matter of
extracting build dependencies out of the source repo's Sources file,
getting a list of packages in the nokia-binaries repository, sorting
both and running "comm -12" on them.

twilight312 at gmail

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]

On śro 18 kwi 2012 21:34:06 CEST, Quim Gil <quim.gil [at] nokia> wrote:

> I'm not holding my breath. Third party components might have been
> developed by subcontractors under certain premises, making things even
> more complicated. Aging tech also means older contracts handled by
> people not around, making it very easy to get gray answers defaulting to
> silence or nope-sorry in a situation like this.
>
> --
> Quim

And what about more important part of woody's mail, about possibility of using current license (that made components in question into SDK on the first place)? Is there man power in Nokia "law" team to determine that?

/Estel

nybauer at gmail

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Lucas Maneos <maemo [at] subs> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 03:21:38PM +0100, Andrew Flegg wrote:
> > 3) Get a permanent licence grant for maemo.org to ship Nokia binaries
> > (e.g. flasher, firmware) and use them in the build process (SDKs in
> > autobuilder and COBS).
>

> Other options would be along the lines of another party such as Mer or
> Nemein being the licensee and managing access.
>
> L.

Actually, this proposal started with Mer. They saw MeeGo OBS was going
away and asked if maemo was interested in it. They are resource
constrained so it looks as if maemo will bring some desired resources as
its contribution to the cOBS. The working premise AIUI is that the cOBS
will be in a separate legal entity from Mer project but the usual suspects
will be maintaining it.

Rob

timop.harkonen at gmail

Re: Council Meeting [In reply to]