Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Council nomination.

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ivgalvez at gmail

Council nomination.

Hi all,

I volunteer to the Concil for this next year. I'm pretty sure I won't have
too much spare time but I can promise I won't leave without notice or move
to any other platform in the years to come.

Regards
--
Iván Gálvez Junquera

andrew at bleb

Re: Council nomination. [In reply to]

On 3 April 2012 11:57, Iván Gálvez Junquera <ivgalvez [at] gmail> wrote:

> I volunteer to the Concil for this next year. I'm pretty sure I won't have
> too much spare time but I can promise I won't leave without notice or move
> to any other platform  in the years to come.

Could you expand on your vision for the community?

What are your thoughts on integrating Harmattan and potentially even
Meltemi into the Maemo community and maemo.org?

As you're aware, there's a discussion on TMO[1] which touches upon
many of the things which will be important in this election. Do you
agree there's been a breakdown in communication between Nokia, Nemein
and the council; and the council and the community? If so, how do we
fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1187362#post1187362

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew [at] bleb  |  http://www.bleb.org/

ivgalvez at gmail

Re: Council nomination. [In reply to]

Hi,

I think I have already provided my vision on most of the subjects in
different TMO threads, but clarify I'll try to summarise some points:

I would agree that a merge between communities (and not only those tied to
Nokia but any others related to open mobile devices in general) could be
beneficial and I would try to encourage it, specially to share resources
and servers.

But honestly, considering the extremely difficulties we have seen to push
things such as CSSU, KP, maintenance of orphaned packages and improvement
on testing process I wonder if that would be more problematic than
beneficial in the long run. The Maemo community needs more administrative
privileges for its trusted members to actually do things, instead of depend
on Nokia, Nemein or whatever contractor could do the job in the future. And
that would be my first priority.

I agree in that the communication between Nokia and the Community Council
and members have been extremely difficult, but I only see one of the parts
ignoring the other. You can argue that communication always involve two
parts and it's true that there is always steps that can be done, but I have
experienced myself the lack of response and is very difficult to
communicate only in one direction. I hope this situation could be improved
soon, now that Quim is again to have responsibilities on that matter.

However I haven't seen any communication problem between the Council and
the community. The only problem here is that the only visible and active
member has been SD69 (Rob) which is obviously not enough. I hope that more
people could be active during next term to improve that visibility.

Regards

2012/4/3 Andrew Flegg <andrew [at] bleb>

> On 3 April 2012 11:57, Iván Gálvez Junquera <ivgalvez [at] gmail> wrote:
> >
> > I volunteer to the Concil for this next year. I'm pretty sure I won't
> have
> > too much spare time but I can promise I won't leave without notice or
> move
> > to any other platform in the years to come.
>
> Could you expand on your vision for the community?
>
> What are your thoughts on integrating Harmattan and potentially even
> Meltemi into the Maemo community and maemo.org?
>
> As you're aware, there's a discussion on TMO[1] which touches upon
> many of the things which will be important in this election. Do you
> agree there's been a breakdown in communication between Nokia, Nemein
> and the council; and the council and the community? If so, how do we
> fix it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andrew
>
> [1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1187362#post1187362
>
> --
> Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew [at] bleb | http://www.bleb.org/

Iván Gálvez Junquera

vivainio at gmail

Re: Council nomination. [In reply to]

One concrete outcome of these discussions could be a consolidated list of
things community wants out of Nokia in order to be able to work effectively
(e.g. on stuff like cssu)