Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC...

 

 

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


tim at samoff

Mar 27, 2011, 2:55 PM

Post #1 of 15 (1600 views)
Permalink
Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.

This meeting ended up being almost two-hours long (one hour longer than
intended and an hour after I had to leave). This being said, I don't
know if I adequately included all of the important points from the
meeting below. If you're interested, it would be best to read the
meeting transcript[1] yourself.

In Attendance...

Outgoing Council:
* Andrew Flegg (Jaffa)
* Tim Samoff (timsamoff)
* Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC

Incoming Council:
* Alan Bruce (qole)
* RM Bauer (SD69)
* Felipe Crochik (fcrochik)
* Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC

Agenda/Notes:
1. Introductions

* Call for new Council to choose a Chair (this will be accomplished this
week via the council@ email address).

2. What was done during last term

* The legal ownership of maemo.org was handed over to the community,
with Nemein (Henri Bergius as main point of contact) managing it on our
behalf. There are now only three members of the maemo.org team, all
part-time. X-Fade (Niels Breet) webmaster; Andre Klapper (andre)
bugmaster; Reggie Suplido (Reggie) talkmaster. Nemein have further
budget which equates to one full time person.

* The Council was involved in the sponsorship of people for the MeeGo
Conference from a "handset" background.

* The Council sponsored the Maemo 5 Community SSU; providing support &
advice to MohammadAG; dealing with the thread on bugs.maemo.org and
helping triage the bugs (j.mp/communityssu-bugs).

* Passed on a refresh license change request queue request from
DocScrutinizer & jonwil to Quim.

* Asked Tero (tekojo) about maemo.org funding, given the concern voiced
from the community after Feb 11th.

* Held a brainstorm redux meeting with the maemo.org team to work out
how the Maemo Brainstorm items were progressing.

* More work on community bug reporting process, liaising with Qt
maintainers around Qt versions in Extras-devel, and liaising with Forum
Nokia folks who are doing Qt hotfixes.

* Ramped up efforts to keep Council visible via Council blog on m.o.

3. What was not done during last term

* Getting a handle on the maemo.org staff & Nemein. Despite committing
to come up with a community involvement process (to help lighten their
workload), it's often a black hole. Problems need to be chased sometimes
to support [at] nemein email address to raise a ticket in their internal
system.

* Andre is still doing lots of work in Bugzilla triaging bugs both for
the CSSU and Extras projects.

* Niels is still helping to set up the Community OBS which can be used
for MeeGo, Fremantle and Harmattan; but there's no clearly communicated
plan for transitioning to it from the autobuilder, but the committed-to
donations system for maemo.org/downloads hasn't been worked on at all;
nor is there any documentation about the structure (AFAICT) of maemo.org.

* Council/Community should have a root access process concerning admin
and maintenance of maemo.org, but the details are still up in the air.

* Council isn't involved in MeeGo Conf sponsorship decisions for SF in May.

* Justify the Council (the new Council needs to figure out of they are
the last Council or not; how the Q2 Council may differ from preceding ones).

4. Past Council reflections/comments

* There's increasing pressure from the MeeGo community, and some
Intelians, that Nokia *don't* get an exception to call Harmattan MeeGo.
This might put a big spanner in the works for the Harmattan community.

* Development and marketing of the CSSU needs to ramp up and become much
more organized.

* Thoughts about the Maemo Community shrinking over the next year or
so... So, the Council will have to be quite vocal in organizing
community efforts (site maintenance, app dev, etc.).


5. New Council comments/questions

* Many questions about Council Chair, m.o root access, funded employees
of m.o, CSSU, etc. Most of these questions are, as yet, unanswered.

* Questions about "friendliness" and cooperation between Maemo and
MeeGo, of which the outgoing Council answered "yes."

* Talk of the Community OBS. X-Fade and lbt are the folks involved, and
there've been some comms about it on meego-* mailing lists.

* Comments about the Council taking on a bridging role between
forum.meego.com and talk.maemo.org.

* Has there been discussion about open source activities around next
Nokia device? Not yet. There are two schools of thought - it's a
dead-end, don't bother OR we can make it such a success that Nokia's
board reconsiders their medium-term plans...

* It will be tricky getting a centralized forum for the Harmattan
community. It was hard enough with t.m.o. and the mailing lists, and no
one has a clear vision about a "Harmattan Community." Should maemo.org
just assume to be the place for the Harmattan community forum? Meego.com
forums are a no-go, at least that was dawn/quim's stance a while back.
The question is why exactly do we need another forum? Just because of
the name? It might also become obvious once it's clear if harmattan will
be "marketed" as Maemo 6, meego or something completely new.

* Do we have any "hard figures" on how the community has changed since
the beginning of Mmeego?

* More questions about the maemo.org infrastructure and how it will
continue. Neiman will play an important role in this.

[1]
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclog/%23maemo-meeting.2011-03-26.log.html
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


texrat at ovi

Mar 27, 2011, 8:30 PM

Post #2 of 15 (1557 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

> ----- Original message -----
> From: "Tim Samoff‎" <tim [at] samoff>
> To: "List for community development‎" <maemo-community [at] maemo>
> Subject: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC...
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:55:13 -0700
>
>
>Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
> attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
> are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
> appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.
>
> This meeting ended up being almost two-hours long (one hour longer than
> intended and an hour after I had to leave). This being said, I don't
> know if I adequately included all of the important points from the
> meeting below. If you're interested, it would be best to read the
> meeting transcript[1] yourself.

Thanks VERY much for your time and effort on this, Tim. And again, very sorry I was unable to make it; I had worried that being on call this weekend would be an issue and unfortunately that turned out to be the case.

It's obvious the last council had a great mix of people and provided an immeasureable service to the community. Hopefully we can maintain much of the momentum.

Randy


--------------------------------------------------------------
Ovi Mail: Making email access easy
http://mail.ovi.com

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Mar 28, 2011, 2:24 AM

Post #3 of 15 (1557 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 02:55:13PM -0700, Tim Samoff wrote:

Hello!

I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
forward is through Debian.

Debian has the advantage of being non-commercial and completely open
from beginning to end. It hosts infrastructure, build farms, mailing
lists and IRC which maemo.org can use. Most importantly, decisions
made in Debian will not be undermined by shifting commercial interests
that do not take into consideration the investment of individual
developers.

Many Debian developers have N900s and would be happy to see more Maemo
devs in their midst. There are also Debian developers who have joined
Maemo and contributed directly to Maemo since Maemo is buit on Debian,
so the two communities are linked. To strengthen that link, I'd like
to ask everyone on this list to participate here:
http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Maemo

That is the entry place for Debian developers and users to get
involved in Maemo. I think the council has a responsibility to make
sure that page is up to date and well taken care of. I'm currently
listed as the contact person, but I think someone from the council
would be much better at that position. I kindly request that the council
consider taking on this responsibility.

I'd also like to ask the council members, in fact everyone from the
Maemo community, to consider joining the Debian-derivatives mailing
list. You can do so by going to the Debian Derivatives Front Desk:
http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I'm on that mailing list as is the current Debian Project Leader who
has worked very hard with other Debian Developers to create a vibrant
resource for derivatives to contribute to Debian and for Debian to
contribute to derivatives. This cooperation is very important and
works to enocurage the health of the overall Debian community.

Thanks for caring about Maemo and Open Source software in general and
I hope to see everyone on debian-derivatives.


Regards,

Jeremiah



> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
> attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
> are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
> appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.
>
> This meeting ended up being almost two-hours long (one hour longer than
> intended and an hour after I had to leave). This being said, I don't
> know if I adequately included all of the important points from the
> meeting below. If you're interested, it would be best to read the
> meeting transcript[1] yourself.
>
> In Attendance...
>
> Outgoing Council:
> * Andrew Flegg (Jaffa)
> * Tim Samoff (timsamoff)
> * Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC
>
> Incoming Council:
> * Alan Bruce (qole)
> * RM Bauer (SD69)
> * Felipe Crochik (fcrochik)
> * Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC
>
> Agenda/Notes:
> 1. Introductions
>
> * Call for new Council to choose a Chair (this will be accomplished this
> week via the council@ email address).
>
> 2. What was done during last term
>
> * The legal ownership of maemo.org was handed over to the community,
> with Nemein (Henri Bergius as main point of contact) managing it on our
> behalf. There are now only three members of the maemo.org team, all
> part-time. X-Fade (Niels Breet) webmaster; Andre Klapper (andre)
> bugmaster; Reggie Suplido (Reggie) talkmaster. Nemein have further
> budget which equates to one full time person.
>
> * The Council was involved in the sponsorship of people for the MeeGo
> Conference from a "handset" background.
>
> * The Council sponsored the Maemo 5 Community SSU; providing support &
> advice to MohammadAG; dealing with the thread on bugs.maemo.org and
> helping triage the bugs (j.mp/communityssu-bugs).
>
> * Passed on a refresh license change request queue request from
> DocScrutinizer & jonwil to Quim.
>
> * Asked Tero (tekojo) about maemo.org funding, given the concern voiced
> from the community after Feb 11th.
>
> * Held a brainstorm redux meeting with the maemo.org team to work out
> how the Maemo Brainstorm items were progressing.
>
> * More work on community bug reporting process, liaising with Qt
> maintainers around Qt versions in Extras-devel, and liaising with Forum
> Nokia folks who are doing Qt hotfixes.
>
> * Ramped up efforts to keep Council visible via Council blog on m.o.
>
> 3. What was not done during last term
>
> * Getting a handle on the maemo.org staff & Nemein. Despite committing
> to come up with a community involvement process (to help lighten their
> workload), it's often a black hole. Problems need to be chased sometimes
> to support [at] nemein email address to raise a ticket in their internal
> system.
>
> * Andre is still doing lots of work in Bugzilla triaging bugs both for
> the CSSU and Extras projects.
>
> * Niels is still helping to set up the Community OBS which can be used
> for MeeGo, Fremantle and Harmattan; but there's no clearly communicated
> plan for transitioning to it from the autobuilder, but the committed-to
> donations system for maemo.org/downloads hasn't been worked on at all;
> nor is there any documentation about the structure (AFAICT) of maemo.org.
>
> * Council/Community should have a root access process concerning admin
> and maintenance of maemo.org, but the details are still up in the air.
>
> * Council isn't involved in MeeGo Conf sponsorship decisions for SF in May.
>
> * Justify the Council (the new Council needs to figure out of they are
> the last Council or not; how the Q2 Council may differ from preceding ones).
>
> 4. Past Council reflections/comments
>
> * There's increasing pressure from the MeeGo community, and some
> Intelians, that Nokia *don't* get an exception to call Harmattan MeeGo.
> This might put a big spanner in the works for the Harmattan community.
>
> * Development and marketing of the CSSU needs to ramp up and become much
> more organized.
>
> * Thoughts about the Maemo Community shrinking over the next year or
> so... So, the Council will have to be quite vocal in organizing
> community efforts (site maintenance, app dev, etc.).
>
>
> 5. New Council comments/questions
>
> * Many questions about Council Chair, m.o root access, funded employees
> of m.o, CSSU, etc. Most of these questions are, as yet, unanswered.
>
> * Questions about "friendliness" and cooperation between Maemo and
> MeeGo, of which the outgoing Council answered "yes."
>
> * Talk of the Community OBS. X-Fade and lbt are the folks involved, and
> there've been some comms about it on meego-* mailing lists.
>
> * Comments about the Council taking on a bridging role between
> forum.meego.com and talk.maemo.org.
>
> * Has there been discussion about open source activities around next
> Nokia device? Not yet. There are two schools of thought - it's a
> dead-end, don't bother OR we can make it such a success that Nokia's
> board reconsiders their medium-term plans...
>
> * It will be tricky getting a centralized forum for the Harmattan
> community. It was hard enough with t.m.o. and the mailing lists, and no
> one has a clear vision about a "Harmattan Community." Should maemo.org
> just assume to be the place for the Harmattan community forum? Meego.com
> forums are a no-go, at least that was dawn/quim's stance a while back.
> The question is why exactly do we need another forum? Just because of
> the name? It might also become obvious once it's clear if harmattan will
> be "marketed" as Maemo 6, meego or something completely new.
>
> * Do we have any "hard figures" on how the community has changed since
> the beginning of Mmeego?
>
> * More questions about the maemo.org infrastructure and how it will
> continue. Neiman will play an important role in this.
>
> [1]
> http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclog/%23maemo-meeting.2011-03-26.log.html
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


leader at debian

Mar 28, 2011, 2:40 AM

Post #4 of 15 (1561 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:24:26AM +0200, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
> forward is through Debian.

AOL! Thanks Jeremiah for this introduction mail.

> I'm on that mailing list as is the current Debian Project Leader who
> has worked very hard with other Debian Developers to create a vibrant
> resource for derivatives to contribute to Debian and for Debian to
> contribute to derivatives. This cooperation is very important and
> works to enocurage the health of the overall Debian community.

Absolutely yes. I'm a N900 owner and user myself although I confess I've
never took the time to look under the hood at the packaging level to
check how much it's close to Debian or not. Nonetheless, if Maemo folks
are interested in giving back some of their changes to Debian, be it for
making their maintenance activities easier or for benefiting other users
of Debian-based distro, please talk to us. The debian-derivatives
mailing list is the right place where you can find advice on who to
contact to better integrate your changes into Debian proper.

Thanks for your interest in Debian,
Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -o- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} -<>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere
ti resta John Fante -- V. Capossela .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)


steffen_moeller at gmx

Mar 28, 2011, 4:06 AM

Post #5 of 15 (1559 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On 03/28/2011 11:24 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 02:55:13PM -0700, Tim Samoff wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
> forward is through Debian.

This sounds all great to me.

We have the GSoC project preparations now. If there is an idea
for a Debian+Maemo-associated project looming in the back of
your minds somewhere, please consider formulating it on
http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Applying
if you can also mentor it :)

Best,

Steffen

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Mar 28, 2011, 4:43 AM

Post #6 of 15 (1557 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Mar 28, 2011, at 13:06, Steffen Mller wrote:

> On 03/28/2011 11:24 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 02:55:13PM -0700, Tim Samoff wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
>> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
>> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
>> forward is through Debian.
>
> This sounds all great to me.
>
> We have the GSoC project preparations now. If there is an idea
> for a Debian+Maemo-associated project looming in the back of
> your minds somewhere, please consider formulating it on
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2011/Applying
> if you can also mentor it :)

Yeah, that's a great idea Steffen. I'll see if I can brainstorm with others and come up with something that has a big slice of its Venn diagram Maemo-Debian. :-)

Jeremiah
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jfwfreo at tpgi

Mar 29, 2011, 1:43 AM

Post #7 of 15 (1560 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
> forward is through Debian.
Whilst I applaud your proposal, unless key parts of the operating system
are either open-sourced by Nokia or replaced with open alternatives, I dont
see a future for Maemo beyond the N900.
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Mar 29, 2011, 2:17 AM

Post #8 of 15 (1550 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Mar 29, 2011, at 10:43, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

>> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
>> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
>> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
>> forward is through Debian.
> Whilst I applaud your proposal, unless key parts of the operating system are either open-sourced by Nokia or replaced with open alternatives, I dont see a future for Maemo beyond the N900.

Which "key parts" are you referring to?

Jeremiah

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jfwfreo at tpgi

Mar 29, 2011, 2:44 AM

Post #9 of 15 (1551 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

> Which "key parts" are you referring to?
The telephony stack for one.
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


a.grandi at gmail

Mar 29, 2011, 3:13 AM

Post #10 of 15 (1553 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

Hi,

On 27 March 2011 23:55, Tim Samoff <tim [at] samoff> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
> attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
> are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
> appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.

I'm really sorry, but I completely forgot about the meeting :(

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


dneary at maemo

Mar 29, 2011, 3:20 AM

Post #11 of 15 (1548 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

Hi,

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>> Which "key parts" are you referring to?
> The telephony stack for one.

Why would this stop someone usefully using Maemo on something which
wasn't a phone, for example? All the world is not a smartphone.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Email: dneary [at] maemo
Jabber: bolsh [at] jabber

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Mar 29, 2011, 3:22 AM

Post #12 of 15 (1552 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Mar 29, 2011, at 11:44, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

>> Which "key parts" are you referring to?
> The telephony stack for one.


Can you be more specific? Which libraries do you see as blockers?

If you're referring to the "Cellular" section in this document: http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/Maemo_5_Developer_Guide/Architecture/Top_Level_Architecture

Then that can be bypassed. That document is also surely out of date with the coming of MeeGo and it points to the main reason why development should be done in Debian: Nokia doesn't understand how Open Source works.

The basic point is Nokia is not going to keep Maemo.org on life support much longer. What happens to all the software? It can find a home in Debian where there are people who will look after it and develop it.

Regards,

Jeremiah

_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


andrew at bleb

Mar 29, 2011, 3:35 AM

Post #13 of 15 (1545 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22, Jeremiah Foster
<jeremiah [at] jeremiahfoster> wrote:
>
> The basic point is Nokia is not going to keep Maemo.org on life support
> much longer. What happens to all the software? It can find a home
> in Debian where there are people who will look after it and develop it.

To clarify, because this is important, this very much depends on your
value of "much [longer]". See the meeting log for more details, but
short version:

* At least 12 months
* For the foreseeable future

However, if the Debian Project were willing to provide autobuilders,
web space and support in the event Nokia's funding was to be
withdrawn, I'm sure that'd be great.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew [at] bleb | http://www.bleb.org/
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


jeremiah at jeremiahfoster

Mar 29, 2011, 4:35 AM

Post #14 of 15 (1546 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

On Mar 29, 2011, at 12:35, Andrew Flegg wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:22, Jeremiah Foster
> <jeremiah [at] jeremiahfoster> wrote:
>>
>> The basic point is Nokia is not going to keep Maemo.org on life support
>> much longer. What happens to all the software? It can find a home
>> in Debian where there are people who will look after it and develop it.
>
> To clarify, because this is important, this very much depends on your
> value of "much [longer]". See the meeting log for more details, but
> short version:
>
> * At least 12 months
> * For the foreseeable future
>
> However, if the Debian Project were willing to provide autobuilders,
> web space and support in the event Nokia's funding was to be
> withdrawn, I'm sure that'd be great.

Thanks Andrew, I'm glad you clarified because I was being purposefully vague.

I'm also glad to hear Nokia is going to support Maemo for at least a little while longer, they really ought to keep the GPL sources available for five years after distribution however, it might be a GPL violation if they decide to shut down the repos completely within five years of the last release of a product with GPL sources. Nokia will want to look at their obligations under the GPL closely before they wind the maemo.org web site down.

Debian of course uses a set of autobuilders which anyone is free to use, even to clone and use locally if they wish, but they are different from the Nokia autobuilder. I suspect they are not significantly different but rather add Nokia blobs and other secret sauce but I've not looked at the source code for the Nokia autobiulders. Debian also already offers a resource like the maemo.org garage called Alioth. Alioth is one of Debian's servers and hosts a version of source forge (I guess its called "fusion forge" now), so developers can move or start new projects there, you don't have to be a DD to use it either.

Regards,

Jeremiah
_______________________________________________
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community


sunnyb7532 at gmail

Mar 29, 2011, 4:36 AM

Post #15 of 15 (1542 views)
Permalink
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [In reply to]

Jeremiah,

Thanks for your message and invitation. The new Maemo Council will consider
your comments and we'll get back to you soon.

Rob Bauer

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:24 AM, Jeremiah C. Foster <
jeremiah [at] jeremiahfoster> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 02:55:13PM -0700, Tim Samoff wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to say to the Maemo Council, old and new, that there is an
> excellent way to move Maemo forward. Not just as a legacy operating
> system for Nokia devices, but even for newer devices. That way
> forward is through Debian.
>
> Debian has the advantage of being non-commercial and completely open
> from beginning to end. It hosts infrastructure, build farms, mailing
> lists and IRC which maemo.org can use. Most importantly, decisions
> made in Debian will not be undermined by shifting commercial interests
> that do not take into consideration the investment of individual
> developers.
>
> Many Debian developers have N900s and would be happy to see more Maemo
> devs in their midst. There are also Debian developers who have joined
> Maemo and contributed directly to Maemo since Maemo is buit on Debian,
> so the two communities are linked. To strengthen that link, I'd like
> to ask everyone on this list to participate here:
> http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Maemo
>
> That is the entry place for Debian developers and users to get
> involved in Maemo. I think the council has a responsibility to make
> sure that page is up to date and well taken care of. I'm currently
> listed as the contact person, but I think someone from the council
> would be much better at that position. I kindly request that the council
> consider taking on this responsibility.
>
> I'd also like to ask the council members, in fact everyone from the
> Maemo community, to consider joining the Debian-derivatives mailing
> list. You can do so by going to the Debian Derivatives Front Desk:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk
>
> I'm on that mailing list as is the current Debian Project Leader who
> has worked very hard with other Debian Developers to create a vibrant
> resource for derivatives to contribute to Debian and for Debian to
> contribute to derivatives. This cooperation is very important and
> works to enocurage the health of the overall Debian community.
>
> Thanks for caring about Maemo and Open Source software in general and
> I hope to see everyone on debian-derivatives.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Jeremiah
>
>
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
> > attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
> > are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
> > appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.
> >
> > This meeting ended up being almost two-hours long (one hour longer than
> > intended and an hour after I had to leave). This being said, I don't
> > know if I adequately included all of the important points from the
> > meeting below. If you're interested, it would be best to read the
> > meeting transcript[1] yourself.
> >
> > In Attendance...
> >
> > Outgoing Council:
> > * Andrew Flegg (Jaffa)
> > * Tim Samoff (timsamoff)
> > * Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC
> >
> > Incoming Council:
> > * Alan Bruce (qole)
> > * RM Bauer (SD69)
> > * Felipe Crochik (fcrochik)
> > * Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC
> >
> > Agenda/Notes:
> > 1. Introductions
> >
> > * Call for new Council to choose a Chair (this will be accomplished this
> > week via the council@ email address).
> >
> > 2. What was done during last term
> >
> > * The legal ownership of maemo.org was handed over to the community,
> > with Nemein (Henri Bergius as main point of contact) managing it on our
> > behalf. There are now only three members of the maemo.org team, all
> > part-time. X-Fade (Niels Breet) webmaster; Andre Klapper (andre)
> > bugmaster; Reggie Suplido (Reggie) talkmaster. Nemein have further
> > budget which equates to one full time person.
> >
> > * The Council was involved in the sponsorship of people for the MeeGo
> > Conference from a "handset" background.
> >
> > * The Council sponsored the Maemo 5 Community SSU; providing support &
> > advice to MohammadAG; dealing with the thread on bugs.maemo.org and
> > helping triage the bugs (j.mp/communityssu-bugs).
> >
> > * Passed on a refresh license change request queue request from
> > DocScrutinizer & jonwil to Quim.
> >
> > * Asked Tero (tekojo) about maemo.org funding, given the concern voiced
> > from the community after Feb 11th.
> >
> > * Held a brainstorm redux meeting with the maemo.org team to work out
> > how the Maemo Brainstorm items were progressing.
> >
> > * More work on community bug reporting process, liaising with Qt
> > maintainers around Qt versions in Extras-devel, and liaising with Forum
> > Nokia folks who are doing Qt hotfixes.
> >
> > * Ramped up efforts to keep Council visible via Council blog on m.o.
> >
> > 3. What was not done during last term
> >
> > * Getting a handle on the maemo.org staff & Nemein. Despite committing
> > to come up with a community involvement process (to help lighten their
> > workload), it's often a black hole. Problems need to be chased sometimes
> > to support [at] nemein email address to raise a ticket in their internal
> > system.
> >
> > * Andre is still doing lots of work in Bugzilla triaging bugs both for
> > the CSSU and Extras projects.
> >
> > * Niels is still helping to set up the Community OBS which can be used
> > for MeeGo, Fremantle and Harmattan; but there's no clearly communicated
> > plan for transitioning to it from the autobuilder, but the committed-to
> > donations system for maemo.org/downloads hasn't been worked on at all;
> > nor is there any documentation about the structure (AFAICT) of maemo.org
> .
> >
> > * Council/Community should have a root access process concerning admin
> > and maintenance of maemo.org, but the details are still up in the air.
> >
> > * Council isn't involved in MeeGo Conf sponsorship decisions for SF in
> May.
> >
> > * Justify the Council (the new Council needs to figure out of they are
> > the last Council or not; how the Q2 Council may differ from preceding
> ones).
> >
> > 4. Past Council reflections/comments
> >
> > * There's increasing pressure from the MeeGo community, and some
> > Intelians, that Nokia *don't* get an exception to call Harmattan MeeGo.
> > This might put a big spanner in the works for the Harmattan community.
> >
> > * Development and marketing of the CSSU needs to ramp up and become much
> > more organized.
> >
> > * Thoughts about the Maemo Community shrinking over the next year or
> > so... So, the Council will have to be quite vocal in organizing
> > community efforts (site maintenance, app dev, etc.).
> >
> >
> > 5. New Council comments/questions
> >
> > * Many questions about Council Chair, m.o root access, funded employees
> > of m.o, CSSU, etc. Most of these questions are, as yet, unanswered.
> >
> > * Questions about "friendliness" and cooperation between Maemo and
> > MeeGo, of which the outgoing Council answered "yes."
> >
> > * Talk of the Community OBS. X-Fade and lbt are the folks involved, and
> > there've been some comms about it on meego-* mailing lists.
> >
> > * Comments about the Council taking on a bridging role between
> > forum.meego.com and talk.maemo.org.
> >
> > * Has there been discussion about open source activities around next
> > Nokia device? Not yet. There are two schools of thought - it's a
> > dead-end, don't bother OR we can make it such a success that Nokia's
> > board reconsiders their medium-term plans...
> >
> > * It will be tricky getting a centralized forum for the Harmattan
> > community. It was hard enough with t.m.o. and the mailing lists, and no
> > one has a clear vision about a "Harmattan Community." Should maemo.org
> > just assume to be the place for the Harmattan community forum? Meego.com
> > forums are a no-go, at least that was dawn/quim's stance a while back.
> > The question is why exactly do we need another forum? Just because of
> > the name? It might also become obvious once it's clear if harmattan will
> > be "marketed" as Maemo 6, meego or something completely new.
> >
> > * Do we have any "hard figures" on how the community has changed since
> > the beginning of Mmeego?
> >
> > * More questions about the maemo.org infrastructure and how it will
> > continue. Neiman will play an important role in this.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclog/%23maemo-meeting.2011-03-26.log.html
> > _______________________________________________
> > maemo-community mailing list
> > maemo-community [at] maemo
> > https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
> >
> _______________________________________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community [at] maemo
> https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community
>

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.