Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Graduate Open Source Jumpstart; London, 17th April

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

andrew at bleb

Mar 22, 2010, 2:16 PM

Graduate Open Source Jumpstart; London, 17th April

Hi,

An ex-colleague, and a current colleague, of mine are involved in the
Graduate Development Community. They're running an event to get
graduates and soon-to-be-graduates interested in open source, before
they enter the big scary world of the job market.

--------8<--------
Graduate Open Source Jumpstart London 2010
http://www.graduatedevelopmentcommunity.co.uk/

Through discussions on the London Graduate Development Community
mailing list, it became clear that there are many students and
recent graduates) who would like to contribute to Free / Open
Source Software but don't know how to get started. A group
of us are organizing an event to give these graduates the
confidence to engage with FOSS projects.
-------->8--------

The idea is to give groups of 4-6 students a day of experience
contributing to an open source project; whether by coding, writing
documentation, triaging bugs, testing or whatever.

I'm looking for volunteers who have in mind a project which is
Maemo/MeeGo oriented and could occupy the students for a day in
London; and who can attend to look after/mentor the students on their
tasks.

Fredrik Wendt and I may propose a Hermes[1]-oriented project:
finishing the refactor and hacking on new plugins (although we'll need
to sort VMware images containing Scratchbox and a runtime environment,
as the attendees will have their own laptops, but not necessarily
N900s!), and so a couple of other volunteers to run either a specific
project or a Maemo/MeeGo corner (bug de-duping, wiki maintenance, doc
writing) would be welcome.

The projects themselves can still be a bit vague (and we might be able
to have a couple of slots) at the moment, but names of mentoring
attendees are needed by 17:00 UTC on Tuesday, 23rd March.

Let me know ASAP if you're interested and with any ideas you've got.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

[1] http://hermes.garage.maemo.org/

--