Mailing List Archive: Maemo: Community

Graduate Open Source Jumpstart; London, 17th April

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

andrew at bleb

Mar 22, 2010, 2:16 PM

Post #1 of 1 (284 views)
Graduate Open Source Jumpstart; London, 17th April

An ex-colleague, and a current colleague, of mine are involved in the
Graduate Development Community. They're running an event to get
graduates and soon-to-be-graduates interested in open source, before
they enter the big scary world of the job market.

Graduate Open Source Jumpstart London 2010

Through discussions on the London Graduate Development Community
mailing list, it became clear that there are many students and
recent graduates) who would like to contribute to Free / Open
Source Software but don't know how to get started. A group
of us are organizing an event to give these graduates the
confidence to engage with FOSS projects.

The idea is to give groups of 4-6 students a day of experience
contributing to an open source project; whether by coding, writing
documentation, triaging bugs, testing or whatever.

I'm looking for volunteers who have in mind a project which is
Maemo/MeeGo oriented and could occupy the students for a day in
London; and who can attend to look after/mentor the students on their

Fredrik Wendt and I may propose a Hermes[1]-oriented project:
finishing the refactor and hacking on new plugins (although we'll need
to sort VMware images containing Scratchbox and a runtime environment,
as the attendees will have their own laptops, but not necessarily
N900s!), and so a couple of other volunteers to run either a specific
project or a Maemo/MeeGo corner (bug de-duping, wiki maintenance, doc
writing) would be welcome.

The projects themselves can still be a bit vague (and we might be able
to have a couple of slots) at the moment, but names of mentoring
attendees are needed by 17:00 UTC on Tuesday, 23rd March.

Let me know ASAP if you're interested and with any ideas you've got.

Thanks in advance,

[1] http://hermes.garage.maemo.org/

Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew [at] bleb | http://www.bleb.org/
maemo-community mailing list
maemo-community [at] maemo

Maemo community RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded