Mailing List Archive: Linux Virtual Server: Users

[lvs-users] Set Up an LVS

Linux Virtual Server users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

anubhav914 at gmail

Mar 15, 2012, 2:34 AM

[lvs-users] Set Up an LVS

Hi

I am CS student of IIT Roorkee, I have been a given a project by my
Networking professor to configure a network with client server model and
perform load balancing using LVS. I have read introduction on the site
www.linuxvirtualserver.org and understood the theory. But I am still unable
to start any thing.
Can anyone please tell me how to begin, which softwares to install, how to
configure the network

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Anubhav Agarwal
(B.Tech,CSE,IIIrd,Year,
IIT Roorkee)

malcolm at loadbalancer

Mar 15, 2012, 3:46 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

Anubhav,

Maybe go back to your professor and ask for something more simple?
Or try reading the excellent documentation again.
Then come back to the list with actual questions:

Rather than "can you do my project for me?"

On 15 March 2012 09:34, anubhav agarwal <anubhav914 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am CS student of IIT Roorkee, I have been a given a project by my
> Networking professor to configure a network with client server model and
> perform load balancing using LVS. I have read introduction on the site
> www.linuxvirtualserver.org and understood the theory. But I am still unable
> to start any thing.
> Can anyone please tell me how to begin, which softwares to install, how to
> configure the network
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Anubhav Agarwal
> (B.Tech,CSE,IIIrd,Year,
> IIT Roorkee)

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

dporter at optixconsulting

Mar 15, 2012, 4:02 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

LOL - superb reply :-)

On 15 Mar 2012, at 11:46, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:

> Anubhav,
>
> Maybe go back to your professor and ask for something more simple?
> Or try reading the excellent documentation again.
> Then come back to the list with actual questions:
>
> Rather than "can you do my project for me?"
>

> On 15 March 2012 09:34, anubhav agarwal <anubhav914 [at] gmail> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am CS student of IIT Roorkee, I have been a given a project by my
>> Networking professor to configure a network with client server model and
>> perform load balancing using LVS. I have read introduction on the site
>> www.linuxvirtualserver.org and understood the theory. But I am still unable
>> to start any thing.
>> Can anyone please tell me how to begin, which softwares to install, how to
>> configure the network
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anubhav Agarwal
>> (B.Tech,CSE,IIIrd,Year,
>> IIT Roorkee)

> Regards,
>
> Malcolm Turnbull.
>
> Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
> Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
> http://www.loadbalancer.org/

enno+lvs at groeper-berlin

Mar 15, 2012, 5:56 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

Hi,

Am 15.03.2012 10:34, schrieb anubhav agarwal:
> Hi
>
> I am CS student of IIT Roorkee, I have been a given a project by my
> Networking professor to configure a network with client server model and
> perform load balancing using LVS. I have read introduction on the site
> www.linuxvirtualserver.org and understood the theory. But I am still unable
> to start any thing.
> Can anyone please tell me how to begin, which softwares to install, how to
> configure the network
LVS is already included in modern kernels and distributions. There is
not much to install nowadays.
For your loadbalancer you could start with an easy to install debian stable.
The you should install ldirectord or at least ipvsadm to configure the
loadbalancer.
man ipvsadm or man ldirectord should give you enough information to
create a simple setup.
To decide which packet-forwarding-method is the best for you, you should
read the documentation on linuxvirtualserver.org.

HTH
Enno
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

enno+lvs at groeper-berlin

Mar 15, 2012, 6:38 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

Hello Malcolm,

Am 15.03.2012 11:46, schrieb Malcolm Turnbull:
> Or try reading the excellent documentation again.
No offense, but in my opinion the documentation is far from being excellent.
Especially the information about what to do to get a working setup
("which software to install?") for the loadbalancer node is pretty
outdated and obscure.
The LVS-mini-HOWTO starts with compiler versions and how to patch your
standard kernel (in section 3 you can read, that this is not needed
anymore for a 2.6 kernel).
What's excellent is the documentation about the different packet
forwarding methods and possible drawbacks.

My 2 Cents,
Enno
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

jmack at wm7d

Mar 15, 2012, 8:07 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Enno Grper wrote:

> Hello Malcolm,
>
> No offense, but in my opinion the documentation is far
> from being excellent. Especially the information about
> what to do to get a working setup ("which software to
> install?") for the loadbalancer node is pretty outdated
> and obscure.

As the original HOWTO documenter for the LVS project, I
agree that most of my material is out of date.

I started documating the project when I saw that the project
was useful, but no-one could get it going from the original
documentation. Because the networking rules have been
changed, LVS doesn't behave as expected and there are many
pitfalls in getting an LVS up. I saw that this good project
would go nowhere unless people could have a reasonable
expectation that they could set it up.

The documentation I produced, was based on my own testing
and from postings to the mailing list which I then tested
myself. At the time my work supported what I was doing with
LVS, which took about 2hrs/day, answering postings and
testing useful info. Even so I only had enough time to dump
the output from the postings and my testing to the HOWTOs. I
never had time to rewrite it - people had to sort through
the postings in cronological order, many of which were now
irrelevant. The HOWTO needed a rewrite, but I thought it
would take about 6mo full time to do this, testing
everything as I went. There was no chance of doing this and
I didn't attempt it.

Then work changed their interest and I no longer had the
time to work on LVS. I just dumped reasonable looking
postings into the HOWTO. Then I stopped updating the HOWTO
at all. Anything that's happened to LVS in the last 5yrs or
so hasn't been incorporated; so virtualisation of LVS and
ipv6 are not documented.

I still think LVS is a great project, but I need to feed
myself etc, and LVS isn't on that path. I don't expect I'm
going to be updating the HOWTO much any more.

I expect that a new HOWTO, started from scratch, is needed.
I'm happy for anyone to take over the HOWTO I have.

Joe

leon at linux

Mar 20, 2012, 12:10 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 15:07 +0000, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I expect that a new HOWTO, started from scratch, is needed.
> I'm happy for anyone to take over the HOWTO I have.

How about a wiki? A certain amount of people with write access to it
would be good, I think. LVS is a huge topic and I don't think a single
person would volunteer now to take up the task by him/herself.

Léon

timo.schoeler at riscworks

Mar 20, 2012, 12:17 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Set Up an LVS [In reply to]

On 03/20/2012 08:10 AM, thus L.S. Keijser spake:
> On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 15:07 +0000, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>> I expect that a new HOWTO, started from scratch, is needed. I'm
>> happy for anyone to take over the HOWTO I have.
>

> How about a wiki? A certain amount of people with write access to it
> would be good, I think. LVS is a huge topic and I don't think a
> single person would volunteer now to take up the task by
> him/herself.

+1

Do we already have some space for a wiki? If not, I'd be happy to
provide it.

> Léon

Timo