Mailing List Archive: Linux Virtual Server: Users

[lvs-users] SCTP support on real server monitoring tools

Linux Virtual Server users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

krishna.sirigiri at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 4:12 AM

[lvs-users] SCTP support on real server monitoring tools

Hi,
I was exploring options available to monitor real servers in LVS cluster.
Our requirement is that the real severs can be on TCP or SCTP; and they
don't run the web servers like HTTP or FTP or any regular services. They
listen on any configured port; basically service is proprietary application
on tcp or sctp.
With this back ground, I realized that recent LVS has SCTP support and I am
happy on this;and came across 3 real server monitoring tools 1) Ldirectord
2)Keepalived 3) mon.

These are my questions
1) Does any of the above 3 methods support real server monitoring on SCTP (
I am sure all three support TCP)

2) I think all 3 methods support checking some proprietary real service
checks other than the standard services like HTTP/LDAP/FTP etc..(I think
all 3 have a simple connection check mechanism). Please confirm if my
understanding is correct?

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Prasad.

david at davidcoulson

Mar 2, 2012, 4:57 AM

Re: [lvs-users] SCTP support on real server monitoring tools [In reply to]

We don't use SCTP specifically, but I utilize ldirectord with external
check scripts to monitor weird proprietary applications (most of which
use UDP). I have also used mon for the same purpose, although we have
since deimpleted that in favor of ldirectord.

David

On 3/2/12 7:12 AM, krishna prasad wrote:
> Hi,
> I was exploring options available to monitor real servers in LVS cluster.
> Our requirement is that the real severs can be on TCP or SCTP; and they
> don't run the web servers like HTTP or FTP or any regular services. They
> listen on any configured port; basically service is proprietary application
> on tcp or sctp.
> With this back ground, I realized that recent LVS has SCTP support and I am
> happy on this;and came across 3 real server monitoring tools 1) Ldirectord
> 2)Keepalived 3) mon.
>
> These are my questions
> 1) Does any of the above 3 methods support real server monitoring on SCTP (
> I am sure all three support TCP)
>
> 2) I think all 3 methods support checking some proprietary real service
> checks other than the standard services like HTTP/LDAP/FTP etc..(I think
> all 3 have a simple connection check mechanism). Please confirm if my
> understanding is correct?
>
> Any help on this is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Prasad.

krishna.sirigiri at gmail

Mar 4, 2012, 8:32 PM

Re: [lvs-users] SCTP support on real server monitoring tools [In reply to]

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:27 PM, David Coulson <david [at] davidcoulson>wrote:

> We don't use SCTP specifically, but I utilize ldirectord with external
> check scripts to monitor weird proprietary applications (most of which use
> UDP). I have also used mon for the same purpose, although we have since
> deimpleted that in favor of ldirectord.
>
> David

Thanks for the response. So in conclusion I can use ldirectord with
external check scripts to monitor my sctp based applications? Forgot to
mention, some of our real servers can be on SCTP and some can be on TCP; so
I think the ldirectord can monitor tcp and sctp (using scripts) real
servers simultaneously.

Also, is there any comparison or advantages/disadvantages of using
ldirectord vs mon vs keepalined?