Mailing List Archive: Linux Virtual Server: Users

[lvs-users] Infinite timeout of a long TCP session?

Linux Virtual Server users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

malcolm at loadbalancer

Jul 28, 2011, 11:45 AM

[lvs-users] Infinite timeout of a long TCP session?

OK, so if you have an application with long TCP sessions you can
increase the TCP timeout:
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.services.general.html#tcpip_idle_timeout

That works great.

But what if you want the ability to stay connected to the same server
forever? (I think the current limit is two weeks).

Now obviously it would gradually leak memory for ever as well....

But what if LVS sent an ACK to the client when the TCP timeout was
about to expire? ( a bit like a fake keepalive, and assuming that the
client would accept it )
And yes I know its the application that needs fixing and not LVS :-).

I think F5 call it require keepalive ack or something...

Not really expecting a solution but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks.

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779