Mailing List Archive: Linux Virtual Server: Users

[lvs-users] Setting Max Connections

Linux Virtual Server users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

eric.robinson at psmnv

Jun 14, 2011, 1:06 AM

[lvs-users] Setting Max Connections

Is it possible to specify a maximum number of connections that LVS will
direct to a realserver? Suppose I have two load-balanced servers, each
capable of handling 150 users, and both are 75% full. If one crashes,
the users will lose connection and try to log back in, and LVS will
direct them to the surviving server. The only problem is that the
surviving server can only handle maybe 50 more users. If all 300 users
try to use it, the server was slow to a crawl. How do I specify a max
limit of, say, 200 users? Better to have some users not be able to use
the system than none of them.

--Eric

Disclaimer - June 14, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for lvs-users [at] linuxvirtualserver If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

horms at verge

Jun 14, 2011, 4:47 PM

Re: [lvs-users] Setting Max Connections [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 01:06:49AM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> Is it possible to specify a maximum number of connections that LVS will
> direct to a realserver? Suppose I have two load-balanced servers, each
> capable of handling 150 users, and both are 75% full. If one crashes,
> the users will lose connection and try to log back in, and LVS will
> direct them to the surviving server. The only problem is that the
> surviving server can only handle maybe 50 more users. If all 300 users
> try to use it, the server was slow to a crawl. How do I specify a max
> limit of, say, 200 users? Better to have some users not be able to use
> the system than none of them.

Hi Eric,

ipvsadm allows each real-server to have an upper and lower connection
threshold, as described in the ipvsadm man page.

Unfortunately this isn't always exposed by higher-level tools
(to my shame I believe it is still missing from ipvsadm!).

eric.robinson at psmnv

Jun 15, 2011, 12:21 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Setting Max Connections [In reply to]

> ipvsadm allows each real-server to have an upper and lower
> connection threshold, as described in the ipvsadm man page.
>
> Unfortunately this isn't always exposed by higher-level tools
> (to my shame I believe it is still missing from ipvsadm!).

Hi Horms - Believe it or not, I did read the ipvsadm man page before
posting this question and I totally missed that. Okay, I guess I SKIMMED
the man page. Thanks for your gracious reply.

I confess to being a little confused, though. Your comments above say
that you can do it with ipvsadm, but then you said that it is missing
from ipvsadm? You mean it is missing from ldirectord?

--Eric

Disclaimer - June 15, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Simon Horman,lvs-users [at] linuxvirtualserver If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

horms at verge

Jun 15, 2011, 12:54 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Setting Max Connections [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:21:44AM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:

> > ipvsadm allows each real-server to have an upper and lower
> > connection threshold, as described in the ipvsadm man page.
> >
> > Unfortunately this isn't always exposed by higher-level tools
> > (to my shame I believe it is still missing from ipvsadm!).
>

> Hi Horms - Believe it or not, I did read the ipvsadm man page before
> posting this question and I totally missed that. Okay, I guess I SKIMMED
> the man page. Thanks for your gracious reply.
>
> I confess to being a little confused, though. Your comments above say
> that you can do it with ipvsadm, but then you said that it is missing
> from ipvsadm? You mean it is missing from ldirectord?

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant.

eric.robinson at psmnv

Jun 15, 2011, 3:15 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Setting Max Connections [In reply to]

> > from ipvsadm? You mean it is missing from ldirectord?
>
> Yes, sorry, that is what I meant.

Since it is missing from ldirectord, do you have any thoughts on how one
might implement it? I guess I could write a separate script that runs
ipvsadm -Ln as a cron job and if it detects that a server has gone down,
it could set the max connections on the surviving servers. Not sure how
that would work with ldirectord also trying to manage the same surviving
servers.

Disclaimer - June 15, 2011
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

horms at verge

Jun 15, 2011, 6:14 AM

Re: [lvs-users] Setting Max Connections [In reply to]

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:15:12AM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> > > from ipvsadm? You mean it is missing from ldirectord?
> >
> > Yes, sorry, that is what I meant.
> >

> Since it is missing from ldirectord, do you have any thoughts on how one
> might implement it? I guess I could write a separate script that runs
> ipvsadm -Ln as a cron job and if it detects that a server has gone down,
> it could set the max connections on the surviving servers. Not sure how
> that would work with ldirectord also trying to manage the same surviving
> servers.

If you are using ldirectord then the I think the best
thing to do would be to add support to ldirectord.