Mailing List Archive: Linux Virtual Server: Users

[lvs-users] ldirectord and tomcat cluster

Linux Virtual Server users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mrv at tuv

Dec 21, 2010, 7:34 AM

[lvs-users] ldirectord and tomcat cluster

Hello list,

I hope you can help all users who share this same problem:

I use a 2 cluster node running on each tomat with session replication
because I need load balancing (ldirector/ipvs) and on each node the same session information.

I configured tomcat like described here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

It seems to work well if I do not use ldirectord for balancing.
(actually it checks port 80 [apache] )

virtual=10.10.11.139:80
checktype=negotiate
fallback=127.0.0.1:80
protocol=tcp
real=10.10.11.137:80 gate
real=10.10.11.138:80 gate
receive="Still alive"
request="/test.html"
scheduler=wlc
service=http

But if I activate ldirectord for port 8080 (tomcat) then I get in my web applications
lots of "page can not be displayed" messages.

Can anybody explain me why this happens or show how to configure it correctly?

Thank you.

Best regards
Andreas Mrvka

Darren.Mansell at opengi

Dec 21, 2010, 7:51 AM

Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord and tomcat cluster [In reply to]

Hello Andreas.

I don't do session replication with Tomcat, I found it not to work very
well. Instead I just set anything you need sessions on to be source hash
scheduler.

Darren

[...]

Dec 21, 2010, 8:06 AM

Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord and tomcat cluster [In reply to]

Hi Darren, again ;-)

what you do is .... check the source IP and route it always to the same tomcat node?
It this is true - what's about fail-over? This does not work then.

In my scenario the webapps store lots of information in memory and share it between each nodes.
So I am freed during a breakdown.
Isn't it better this way?

Whishing you a happy new Year!
[...]

Dec 21, 2010, 8:39 AM

Re: [lvs-users] ldirectord and tomcat cluster [In reply to]

During failover, you will lose sessions from the node that has gone
away. New connections will be sent to the remaining real server(s).

I asked the same thing 3 months ago ;)
http://lists.graemef.net/pipermail/lvs-users/2010-September/023555.html

Happy new year to you too.

Darren