Mailing List Archive: Lucene: ruby-dev

Flare plugin (with Ruby Solr library and acts_as_solr plugin)

Lucene ruby-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

vincent.peres at gmail

Flare plugin (with Ruby Solr library and acts_as_solr plugin)

Hello,

I'm looking for informations about this plugin (Flare).
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Flare/
Is it a final plugin? Can we use it on final production application?
Have you some documentation / tutorial about it? I don't find anything !

I would be grateful to your help that you bring to me.
Vincent

erik at ehatchersolutions

Re: Flare plugin (with Ruby Solr library and acts_as_solr plugin) [In reply to]

Vincent -

Flare is currently not what I'd consider production ready, but it all
depends on your needs. It is a simple plugin that ties Solr to RoR
for faceted browsing, full-text search, and Ajax suggest. It's what
I'd call a hack / proof-of-concept.

There isn't any additional documentation about it. But there isn't
much code that comprises it either, so it's quite approachable,
though a bit ugly in parts. You'll find the plugin here:

<http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/solr/trunk/client/ruby/flare/
vendor/plugins/flare/>

A couple of directories up is an actual Rails application using that
plugin.

The Blacklight team has been working on a more sophisticated version
of Flare. You can browse around their repository to track down what
they've done: http://blacklight.rubyforge.org

Erik