Mailing List Archive: Lucene: Java-User

Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

vfunstein at gmail

Jul 30, 2012, 8:11 PM

Lucene 4.0 GA time frame

Given that the Alpha is out, are there any more or less definitive
guidelines on when 4.0 will be officially released? Hopefully, someone
probably has a ballpark estimate on this, give or take a few months? We are
trying to get an idea so the 4.0 migration effort could be better aligned
with its release. Thank you.

erickerickson at gmail

Jul 31, 2012, 6:46 AM

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame [In reply to]

My guess is in the September/October time frame. Things are actually
moving along pretty quickly, and there's considerable sentiment to get
it out the door...

Best
Erick

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM, Vitaly Funstein <vfunstein [at] gmail> wrote:
> Given that the Alpha is out, are there any more or less definitive
> guidelines on when 4.0 will be officially released? Hopefully, someone
> probably has a ballpark estimate on this, give or take a few months? We are
> trying to get an idea so the 4.0 migration effort could be better aligned
> with its release. Thank you.

jack at basetechnology

Jul 31, 2012, 7:12 AM

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame [In reply to]

Erick's estimate is right in line with the chatter I have heard. There is
some talk of a Beta release in August, but there is some concern that too
many people are on vacation in August to get much feedback.

My guess is for a Beta no later than the middle of September and a release a
month later. It seems reasonable to expect the 4.0 release by mid-October.
I'd be surprised if the release slipped beyond November.

FWIW, I haven't seen any "the index format has changed; you must re-index"
messages in at least a few weeks, so at least some level of stability has
already been achieved.

The SolrCloud stuff seems to still be in a state of flux (from the issue
traffic I have seen), so I'm not sure if that is ready enough for imminent
release, although it may be getting close.

I am disturbed with the large number of frequent Jenkins test failures. I
feel a little uncomfortable recommending use of code whose test system fails
so frequently. We need some stability there, although it may be at least
semi-reasonable to discount those test failures as the need for improving a
complex test system rather than a judgment about the quality of the
underlying Lucene/Solr code.

The bottom line is that Lucene/Solr 4.0 GA in the fall (before December) is
a reasonable expectation, based on the code's current trajectory.

-- Jack Krupansky

wrote:
> Given that the Alpha is out, are there any more or less definitive
> guidelines on when 4.0 will be officially released? Hopefully, someone
> probably has a ballpark estimate on this, give or take a few months? We
> are
> trying to get an idea so the 4.0 migration effort could be better aligned
> with its release. Thank you.

sausarkar at ebay

Sep 14, 2012, 10:05 AM

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame [In reply to]

Now that the BETA is out for a while any clue when the GA release wil take
place?

jack at basetechnology

Sep 14, 2012, 4:14 PM

Re: Lucene 4.0 GA time frame [In reply to]

My personal estimate is that it will likely be within a week or two, but
there is no official date.

-- Jack Krupansky