Mailing List Archive: Lucene: Java-User

ToParentBlockJoinQuery - Faceting on Parent and Child Documents

jayendra.patil.001 at gmail

Jul 25, 2012, 4:37 AM

ToParentBlockJoinQuery - Faceting on Parent and Child Documents

Thanks Mike for the wonderful work on ToParentBlockJoinQuery.

We had a use case for Relational data search and are working with
ToParentBlockJoinQuery which works perfectly as mentioned @
http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/searching-relational-content-with.html

However, I couldn't find any examples on net or even in the JUnit
testcases to use Faceting on the Parent or the Child results.

Is it supported as yet ??? Can you provide us with any examples ??

martijn.v.groningen at gmail

Aug 3, 2012, 4:50 AM

Re: ToParentBlockJoinQuery - Faceting on Parent and Child Documents [In reply to]

Hi Jayendra,

This isn't supported yet. You could implement this by creating a
custom Lucene collector.
This collector could count the unique hits inside a block of docs per
unique facet field value. The
unique facet values could be retrieved from Lucene's FieldCache or doc
values (if you can use Lucene 4.0
in your project).

In general I think this would be a cool addition!

Martijn

On 25 July 2012 13:37, Jayendra Patil <jayendra.patil.001 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks Mike for the wonderful work on ToParentBlockJoinQuery.
>
> We had a use case for Relational data search and are working with
> ToParentBlockJoinQuery which works perfectly as mentioned @
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2012/01/searching-relational-content-with.html
>
> However, I couldn't find any examples on net or even in the JUnit
> testcases to use Faceting on the Parent or the Child results.
>
> Is it supported as yet ??? Can you provide us with any examples ??

lucene_list at iconparc

Aug 3, 2012, 5:26 AM

Re: ToParentBlockJoinQuery - Faceting on Parent and Child Documents [In reply to]

Hi Jayendra,

we use facetting and blockjoinqueries on lucene 3.6 like this:

- Create the FacetsCollector
- For facetting on Parent documents, use ToParentBlockJoinQuery, for
facetting on children ToChildBlockJoinQuery (if needed, add additional
query clauses using a Booleanquery)
- Use searcher.search(query,null,facetCollector)

This seems to work fine.

Best regards,
Christoph Kaser