Mailing List Archive: Lucene: Java-User

incrementally indexing

victormr at usal

Jul 4, 2012, 4:09 AM

incrementally indexing

Hello,

First ask your pardon for my poor English.

I am making an application in Java using Lucene 3.6 for indexing the hard
drive, and I've read that you can index incrementally, but not like
putting that option, because every time I indexed the hard disk overwrite
the existing index and makes me again, with the consequent expenditure of
time in making such indexing.

If someone could help me.

Regards and thanks in advance

erickerickson at gmail

Jul 5, 2012, 12:18 PM

Re: incrementally indexing [In reply to]

Hmmm, it's not quite clear what the problem is. But let's
say you have indexed your hard drive. Somewhere you'll
have to keep a record of what you've done, say the timestamp
when you started looking at your hard drive to index it.

Next time you run, you simply only index files that have changed
since the last timestamp, assuming you want any changed
documents on your disk to reflect those changes. That's usually
what's meant by "incremental indexing", you only add new/changed
data to your index.

Hope that helps
Erick

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 7:09 AM, <victormr [at] usal> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First ask your pardon for my poor English.
>
> I am making an application in Java using Lucene 3.6 for indexing the hard
> drive, and I've read that you can index incrementally, but not like
> putting that option, because every time I indexed the hard disk overwrite
> the existing index and makes me again, with the consequent expenditure of
> time in making such indexing.
>
> If someone could help me.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance

tmcao at me

Jul 5, 2012, 12:30 PM

Re: incrementally indexing [In reply to]

If you want to index your hard drive, you'll need to keep a copy
of the current file system's directory/files structure. Otherwise, you
won't be able to remove from your index files that have been deleted.