Mailing List Archive: Lucene: Java-User

ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight cannot explain match on parent document

lucene_list at iconparc

ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight cannot explain match on parent document

Hello all,

I try to calculate score explanations for a query that contains a
ToParentBlockJoinQuery and get the following exception:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException:
org.apache.lucene.search.join.ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight
cannot explain match on parent document
at
org.apache.lucene.search.join.ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight.explain(ToParentBlockJoinQuery.java:222)

at
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight.explain(BooleanQuery.java:236)

I can understand that the ToParentBlockJoinQuery cannot explain the
scores of this document's children, but would it be possible not to
throw an exception but to simply output the score this document got from
its children? This would allow me to analyze the score obtained from
other parts of the complete query, and if needed, I could still get an
explanation on the childquery itself with a specific child id.

Should I open an issue for this, or is it impossible to output any kind
of explanation (even a dummy explanation) in BlockJoinWeight?

Regards,
Christoph

martijn.v.groningen at gmail

Re: ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight cannot explain match on parent document [In reply to]

Hi Christoph,

You can open an issue for this. I think we can use the child score as
an explanation of why a parent doc is scored the way it is.

Martijn

On 25 May 2012 13:20, Christoph Kaser <lucene_list [at] iconparc> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I try to calculate score explanations for a query that contains a
> ToParentBlockJoinQuery and get the following exception:
>
> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException:
> org.apache.lucene.search.join.ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight cannot
> explain match on parent document
> at
> org.apache.lucene.search.join.ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight.explain(ToParentBlockJoinQuery.java:222)
> at
> org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight.explain(BooleanQuery.java:236)
>
> I can understand that the ToParentBlockJoinQuery cannot explain the scores
> of this document's children, but would it be possible not to throw an
> exception but to simply output the score this document got from its
> children? This would allow me to analyze the score obtained from other parts
> of the complete query, and if needed, I could still get an explanation on
> the childquery itself with a specific child id.
>
> Should I open an issue for this, or is it impossible to output any kind of
> explanation (even a dummy explanation) in BlockJoinWeight?
>
> Regards,
> Christoph

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen

lucene_list at iconparc

Re: ToParentBlockJoinQuery$BlockJoinWeight cannot explain match on parent document [In reply to]

Hi Martijn,

thank you for your response.

I created the following issue:

Christoph