I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low level
structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across the
Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if there are
any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
solution?

Thanks in advance,
Ákos Tajti

erickerickson at gmail

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

What kind of hiding are you interested in? Solr does a lot
of this...

Best
Erick

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Akos Tajti <akos.tajti [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low level
> structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across the
> Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if there are
> any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
> solution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ákos Tajti

akos.tajti at gmail

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

As far as I know Solr is a search server and the communication eith it
is done through a RESTful API. What I need is a Java API that I can
use programmatically.

Ákos Tajti

On 2012.04.16., at 19:58, Erick Erickson <erickerickson [at] gmail>
wrote:

> What kind of hiding are you interested in? Solr does a lot
> of this...
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Akos Tajti <akos.tajti [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low
>> level
>> structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across
>> the
>> Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if
>> there are
>> any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ákos Tajti

erickerickson at gmail

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

To do what? You're asking very general questions that are
hard to answer simply because of the lack of any detail,
use cases, etc.

You might review:

Best
Erick

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Tajti Ákos <akos.tajti [at] gmail> wrote:
> As far as I know Solr is a search server and the communication eith it is
> done through a RESTful API. What I need is a Java API that I can use
> programmatically.
>
> Ákos Tajti
>

> On 2012.04.16., at 19:58, Erick Erickson <erickerickson [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> What kind of hiding are you interested in? Solr does a lot
>> of this...
>>
>> Best
>> Erick
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Akos Tajti <akos.tajti [at] gmail> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low level
>>> structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across the
>>> Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if there are
>>> any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
>>> solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Ákos Tajti

gang.liu at cubead

Re:Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

you can use solrj as java client api for solr server. it's simple and powerful.

--
gang liu
email: liugangc [at] gmail

At 2012-04-17 02:14:25,"Tajti Ákos" <akos.tajti [at] gmail> wrote:
>As far as I know Solr is a search server and the communication eith it
>is done through a RESTful API. What I need is a Java API that I can
>use programmatically.
>
>Ákos Tajti
>

>On 2012.04.16., at 19:58, Erick Erickson <erickerickson [at] gmail>
>wrote:
>
>> What kind of hiding are you interested in? Solr does a lot
>> of this...
>>
>> Best
>> Erick
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Akos Tajti <akos.tajti [at] gmail>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for a solution that hides the complexity and the low
>>> level
>>> structure of Lucene (to make it much simpler to use). I came across
>>> the
>>> Compass Project which looks pretty good. I just want to know if
>>> there are
>>> any comparable solutions (I didn't find any). Do you know about such
>>> solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Ákos Tajti

>For additional commands, e-mail: java-user-help [at] lucene

akos.tajti at gmail

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

Erick,

we have a web application in which searching is a very iportant feature.
Through the years we added a few custom analyzers. Beside that, we
post-process the results returned by lucene (we hide those documents that
are not visible to the current user according to permissions). So to keep
it short: we need a higher-level api which makes the use of lucene much
easier and we can keep are custom code.

Ákos Tajti

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson [at] gmail>wrote:

> To do what? You're asking very general questions that are
> hard to answer simply because of the lack of any detail,
> use cases, etc.
>
> You might review:

> Best
> Erick
>
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Tajti Ákos <akos.tajti [at] gmail> wrote:
> > As far as I know Solr is a search server and the communication eith it is
> > done through a RESTful API. What I need is a Java API that I can use
> > programmatically.
> >
> > Ákos Tajti
> >

> > On 2012.04.16., at 19:58, Erick Erickson <erickerickson [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> >
> >> What kind of hiding are you interested in? Solr does a lot
> >> of this...
> >>
> >> Best
> >> Erick

> are

erickerickson at gmail

Re: a higher-level layer above lucene [In reply to]

I really think you want to consider Solr.

First, it's pretty easy to incorporate your custom
analyzers as plugins.

Second, the "no cache filter" (see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2429)
was designed for ACL calculations. Using it
will also keep things like document counts
and facet counts accurate.

Third, you have a server/servlet environment
already, you're not introducing anything new.

Really, one of the things Solr does is abstract
the Lucene layer, while allowing you to still
do the under-the-cover things people often want
via plugins.

But to answer your question, no, there's no
simple abstraction layer over Lucene that I
know of OOB.

Best
Erick