Mailing List Archive: Lucene: Java-User

Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated)

vineet at architexa

Feb 29, 2012, 2:19 PM

Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated)

Hey guys,
We have been getting great feedback from people on this list and wanted to
let you guys know of major updates that we have made to the Lucene
Architecture/Documentation site that we have been building. We would love
more feedback when you guys get the chance.

You can find the site here: http://www.codemaps.org/c/Lucene

You will be able to browse the source of the latest release as well as find
architectural diagrams there. Our intention is to help you explore the
Lucene codebase to figure out parts that you might care about. You will
notice that you should be able do that easily online.

When you get the change, we would love to hear what you guys think of the
site? If there any features that we can add to help you guys understand
the Lucene code faster? Or if we should we just extend the site for more
projects?

Regards,
Vineet
--
Founder, Architexa - www.architexa.com
Understand & Document Code In Seconds

fancyerii at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 7:21 PM

Re: Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated) [In reply to]

great website. though I used to Eclipse and it provide good tools for
reading codes, it may be useful when I haven't development environment
outside the office.
a problem, there is no searching function like eclipse's ctrl+shift+t which
searching classes that supporting query like '*Reader'
another one is ctrl+shift+g to see who used this method or object.
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.2.9/ is a similar website. it can find a
function is used by who.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Vineet Sinha <vineet [at] architexa> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> We have been getting great feedback from people on this list and wanted to
> let you guys know of major updates that we have made to the Lucene
> Architecture/Documentation site that we have been building. We would love
> more feedback when you guys get the chance.
>
> You can find the site here: http://www.codemaps.org/c/Lucene
>
> You will be able to browse the source of the latest release as well as find
> architectural diagrams there. Our intention is to help you explore the
> Lucene codebase to figure out parts that you might care about. You will
> notice that you should be able do that easily online.
>
> When you get the change, we would love to hear what you guys think of the
> site? If there any features that we can add to help you guys understand
> the Lucene code faster? Or if we should we just extend the site for more
> projects?
>
> Regards,
> Vineet
> --
> Founder, Architexa - www.architexa.com
> Understand & Document Code In Seconds

vineet at architexa

Feb 29, 2012, 7:39 PM

Re: Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated) [In reply to]

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Regarding the Code Tab:
Yes. Eclipse provides a lot of the features of the on the tab. We just
wanted to make it easy so that people can send links to one another easily
such as in this mailing list. LXR was a large part of the inspiration of
the inspiration here.

Ctrl+Shift+T: We have found that the browsers Ctrl+F works well enough for
us. Did that not work for you?

Ctrl+Shift+G: When you click on on a method, you will see a drop-down with
a list of callers to it.

We are thinking of adding a small feature so that people can add comments
on parts of the code that they don't understand. So that the project
committers can either explain or just improve the documentation. Would this
be something you would be interested in?

Regarding the other tabs: Did you try them? In particular the Diagrams tab?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Vineet
--

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM, Li Li <fancyerii [at] gmail> wrote:

> great website. though I used to Eclipse and it provide good tools for
> reading codes, it may be useful when I haven't development environment
> outside the office.
> a problem, there is no searching function like eclipse's ctrl+shift+t which
> searching classes that supporting query like '*Reader'
> another one is ctrl+shift+g to see who used this method or object.
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v3.2.9/ is a similar website. it can find a
> function is used by who.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Vineet Sinha <vineet [at] architexa> wrote:
>
> > Hey guys,
> > We have been getting great feedback from people on this list and wanted
> > let you guys know of major updates that we have made to the Lucene
> > Architecture/Documentation site that we have been building. We would love
> > more feedback when you guys get the chance.
> >
> > You can find the site here: http://www.codemaps.org/c/Lucene
> >
> > You will be able to browse the source of the latest release as well as
> find
> > architectural diagrams there. Our intention is to help you explore the
> > Lucene codebase to figure out parts that you might care about. You will
> > notice that you should be able do that easily online.
> >
> > When you get the change, we would love to hear what you guys think of the
> > site? If there any features that we can add to help you guys understand
> > the Lucene code faster? Or if we should we just extend the site for more
> > projects?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Vineet
> > --
> > Founder, Architexa - www.architexa.com
> > Understand & Document Code In Seconds

fancyerii at gmail

Feb 29, 2012, 7:55 PM

Re: Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated) [In reply to]

ctrl+F don't support fuzzy searching. sometimes I can't remember the whole
long class name. I need something like *MergePolicy instead of
LogByteSizeMergePolicy. it's better if it can tolerate some typo errors

Feb 29, 2012, 8:08 PM

Re: Lucene Architecture/Documentation Site (updated) [In reply to]

Good point. We will add that to our todo list.

-Vineet