Mailing List Archive: Lucene: General

Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help

Lucene general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

colm_rice at hotmail

Jul 11, 2012, 7:34 AM

Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help

Hi,

Can you help me please? I need a bit of help more with Eclipse IDE and its
intetraction with Solr. First, some background. I am going to make a
contribution to Solr (or Lucene or whatever). I have the algorithm that I
want to contribute all ready to go with tests in Java. I converted it from
C# (my native language). I have downloaded the Solr/Lucene source code to
C:\trunk from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk

My problem is I'm a bit unfamiliar with Eclipse and how to open the trunk
folder/project or import it or whatever you do ie get it into Eclipse, get
it running, add my code, rebuild, rerun test etc...

Can someone please take me by the hand and go through this in pedantic
point format for a lepton like me? Visual Studio has me spoilt :-)

What I have on my box is the following: Eclipse IDE version Indigo Service
Release 2 and I also installed Jetty for some reason and as mentioned
previously I have the lucene truck at C:\trunk.

I need granularity like:

1. Eclipse -> New Project -> etc...
2. File -> import -> something
3. Do something else important
4...

n. Run -> project compiles successfully (yipee)

n+1. Now add your Java class & tests... (time for the real work!)
N+2. I can take it from there (Jira task, etc...)

Thanks in advance,
Jellyman.

erik.hatcher at gmail

Jul 11, 2012, 7:59 AM

Re: Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help [In reply to]

I think everything you need is spelled out here: <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToConfigureEclipse>

Erik

On Jul 11, 2012, at 10:34 , jellyman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you help me please? I need a bit of help more with Eclipse IDE and its
> intetraction with Solr. First, some background. I am going to make a
> contribution to Solr (or Lucene or whatever). I have the algorithm that I
> want to contribute all ready to go with tests in Java. I converted it from
> C# (my native language). I have downloaded the Solr/Lucene source code to
> C:\trunk from http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/trunk
>
> My problem is I'm a bit unfamiliar with Eclipse and how to open the trunk
> folder/project or import it or whatever you do ie get it into Eclipse, get
> it running, add my code, rebuild, rerun test etc...
>
> Can someone please take me by the hand and go through this in pedantic
> point format for a lepton like me? Visual Studio has me spoilt :-)
>
> What I have on my box is the following: Eclipse IDE version Indigo Service
> Release 2 and I also installed Jetty for some reason and as mentioned
> previously I have the lucene truck at C:\trunk.
>
> I need granularity like:
>
> 1. Eclipse -> New Project -> etc...
> 2. File -> import -> something
> 3. Do something else important
> 4...
>
> n. Run -> project compiles successfully (yipee)
>
> n+1. Now add your Java class & tests... (time for the real work!)
> N+2. I can take it from there (Jira task, etc...)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jellyman.

colm_rice at hotmail

Jul 11, 2012, 9:12 AM

Re: Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help [In reply to]

Thanks Eric,

I have loaded it successfully. Yipee. Inside the "Package Explorer"
window i can see solr at the top underneath there are many sub-projects.
My question now becomes how do I build the solution and run some if its
basic existing tests?

Nearly there,
jellyman

colm_rice at hotmail

Jul 11, 2012, 9:21 AM

Re: Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help [In reply to]

Actually I'm seeing a lot of red underline errors like: "the import
org.apache.lucene cannot be resolved"

What's going on. I pointed the project to C:\trunk\solr

Slightly worried,
jellyman

uwe at thetaphi

Jul 11, 2012, 9:44 AM

RE: Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help [In reply to]

Hi,

To compile your own project based on Lucene as library, you don't need to
import the whole Lucene source code. Just download the distribution JAR
files of Lucene by adding Maven or Ivy-dependencies (lucene-core.jar) to
your project.
Downloading and installing the source distribution of Lucene is not for own
projects, it is for "developing of Lucene/Solr itself".

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
> Actually I'm seeing a lot of red underline errors like: "the import
> org.apache.lucene cannot be resolved"
>
> What's going on. I pointed the project to C:\trunk\solr
>
> Slightly worried,
> jellyman

colm_rice at hotmail

Jul 12, 2012, 1:16 AM

RE: Just getting started with Eclipse & lucene source code -- please help [In reply to]

Hi Uwe,

Thanks a million for your reply/advice. I'd love to be able to do that
with Maven or Ivy or whatever but I'm pretty ignorant of _how_ to do that.
can you lay out the steps in point format as how to do that please?

For example where do I get the lucene jar files I have the source code
already)? What is Ivy? Where do I get it? etc, etc...

Thanks in advance,
jellyman