Mailing List Archive: Lucene: General

are Lucene indexing and search components thread-safe?

Lucene general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

izavorin at caci

are Lucene indexing and search components thread-safe?

Hi All,

I am looking for a definitive source on which Lucene core components involved in indexing and search are thread safe. I did some google searches and found discussions of this here and there but they don't give me a complete picture and are sometimes even contradictory. I am currently using version 3.4 so is there a source of info on this topic for this version?

Thanks much,

Ilya Zavorin

simon.willnauer at googlemail

Re: are Lucene indexing and search components thread-safe? [In reply to]

short answer is: yes! common search and indexing classes are
threadsafe! IndexWriter & IndexReader (IndexSearcher) can be shared
between threads. Any other particular class you are in doubt with?

simon

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Ilya Zavorin <izavorin [at] caci> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for a definitive source on which Lucene core components involved in indexing and search are thread safe. I did some google searches and found discussions of this here and there but they don't give me a complete picture and are sometimes even contradictory. I am currently using version 3.4 so is there a source of info on this topic for this version?
>
> Thanks much,
>

> Ilya Zavorin

izavorin at caci

RE: are Lucene indexing and search components thread-safe? [In reply to]

Simon,

Below is the list of all Lucene packages that I import in my code. Any of these are not thread safe?

org.apache.lucene.analysis.Analyzer;
org.apache.lucene.analysis.miscellaneous.PatternAnalyzer;
org.apache.lucene.analysis.PerFieldAnalyzerWrapper;
org.apache.lucene.analysis.standard.StandardAnalyzer;
org.apache.lucene.analysis.WordlistLoader;
org.apache.lucene.analysis.XX.ArabicAnalyzer;
org.apache.lucene.document.Document;
org.apache.lucene.document.Field;
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldInfo.IndexOptions;
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader;
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter;
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriterConfig.OpenMode;
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriterConfig;
org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
org.apache.lucene.index.TermFreqVector;
org.apache.lucene.index.TermPositionVector;
org.apache.lucene.index.TermVectorOffsetInfo;
org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException;
org.apache.lucene.queryParser.QueryParser;
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher;
org.apache.lucene.search.Query;
org.apache.lucene.search.ScoreDoc;
org.apache.lucene.search.TopDocs;