Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Lucene: General

Something for a beginner

 

 

Lucene general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


alok0412 at gmail

Feb 6, 2012, 7:27 AM

Post #1 of 4 (440 views)
Permalink
Something for a beginner

Hi there,

I am a new to the lucene-dev list and also to the world of open source
development. I am really interested in working under the lucene's hood.

I was looking for some easy headway into the development side by
trying to solve a bug etc., but wasn't quite able to figure out stuff.
I am good in programming using Java, Python and C. And I have some
experience in socket programming as well.

Can someone please suggest or hand me out some beginner level
project/assignment which will help me know lucene better and also
contribute to it.

Cheers,
Alok Upadhyay


rcmuir at gmail

Feb 6, 2012, 8:06 AM

Post #2 of 4 (409 views)
Permalink
Re: Something for a beginner [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Alok Upadhyay <alok0412 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am a new to the lucene-dev list and also to the world of open source
> development. I am really interested in working under the lucene's hood.
>

Welcome!

>
> Can someone please suggest or hand me out some beginner level
> project/assignment which will help me know lucene better and also
> contribute to it.
>

I believe Steven Rowe picked a few tasks and placed them under the
"Getting your feet wet: where to begin?" of this page:

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute

There are a couple tasks linked there, if none seem appropriate please
let us know, we can try to poke around through JIRA and tag some more
issues... I know there are more sitting out there.

--
lucidimagination.com


alok0412 at gmail

Feb 12, 2012, 5:37 AM

Post #3 of 4 (380 views)
Permalink
Re: Something for a beginner [In reply to]

Thanks for that warm welcome, Robert! But I have been scouring through
the source only to end up taking a lot of time understanding the
system altogether. Since, understanding the whole system is essential
for making fixes which don't conflict the very nature of the
module/portion concerned.

Doesn't this project have any graphical tools like
UML diagrams, Architecture diagrams etc.( which can greatly reduce the
getting-to-know-time, in my case particularly)?
Or if not, can you please suggest me some better(quicker) way of understanding
the different parts of the source.


Thanks,
Alok

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir [at] gmail> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Alok Upadhyay <alok0412 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am a new to the lucene-dev list and also to the world of open source
>> development. I am really interested in working under the lucene's hood.
>>
>
> Welcome!
>
>>
>> Can someone please suggest or hand me out some beginner level
>> project/assignment which will help me know lucene better and also
>> contribute to it.
>>
>
> I believe Steven Rowe picked a few tasks and placed them under the
> "Getting your feet wet: where to begin?" of this page:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute
>
> There are a couple tasks linked there, if none seem appropriate please
> let us know, we can try to poke around through JIRA and tag some more
> issues... I know there are more sitting out there.
>
> --
> lucidimagination.com


rcmuir at gmail

Feb 13, 2012, 7:07 AM

Post #4 of 4 (384 views)
Permalink
Re: Something for a beginner [In reply to]

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Alok Upadhyay <alok0412 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Thanks for that warm welcome, Robert! But I have been scouring through
> the source only to end up taking a lot of time understanding the
> system altogether. Since, understanding the whole system is essential
> for making fixes which don't conflict the very nature of the
> module/portion concerned.

Hmm, I think most of the tasks are intended to be fairly
self-contained, so that hopefully you don't need to do this.
It would be too overwhelming if you had to understand everything to
make any contributions.

For example, you don't need to understand the details of the indexer
to make contributions to queryparsers.

>
> Doesn't this project have any graphical tools like
> UML diagrams, Architecture diagrams etc.( which can greatly reduce the
> getting-to-know-time, in my case particularly)?
> Or if not, can you please suggest me some better(quicker) way of understanding
> the different parts of the source.
>
>

I think http://lucene.apache.org/core/old_versioned_docs/versions/3_5_0/api/core/overview-summary.html
is a good start at introducing what the different pieces and parts do.
Also you can probably find some introductory articles on google, and
of course there are books (Lucene in Action) that go into even more
detail.

--
lucidimagination.com

Lucene general RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.