Mailing List Archive: Lucene: c-dev

Using Lucene, longitude-latitude, and interacting on "search"

Lucene c-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

joetomgo at gmail

Using Lucene, longitude-latitude, and interacting on "search"

I'd like to save longitude and latitude data points in my lucene index for
businesses, churches, etc. Is the obvious way to store the longitude values
as keywords in the format "00.000". Then on the search phase I can compare
the "derived" mathematical location for say a registered users lat/long home
address from my registered user database and compare with search results?
...and based on LUCENE IN ACTION example, I can boost search results based
on proximity from point "index" to point "search."

Thanks for any help. For some context, this is a newspaper web site.

Tim Archambault
Bangordailynews.com <http://Bangordailynews.com>
Bangor, ME

rooneg at electricjellyfish

Re: Using Lucene, longitude-latitude, and interacting on "search" [In reply to]

Tim Archambault wrote:
> I'd like to save longitude and latitude data points in my lucene index for
> businesses, churches, etc. Is the obvious way to store the longitude values
> as keywords in the format "00.000". Then on the search phase I can compare
> the "derived" mathematical location for say a registered users lat/long home
> address from my registered user database and compare with search results?
> ...and based on LUCENE IN ACTION example, I can boost search results based
> on proximity from point "index" to point "search."
>
> Thanks for any help. For some context, this is a newspaper web site.

I think you probably wanted to send this to java-dev [at] lucene,
not c-dev [at] l

-garrett

Lucene c-dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded