Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

netwarrior863 at gmail

Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question

Hi There

I configured heartbeat to failover an IP address , if I for example
shutdown one node, the other takes it's ip address, so far so good, now
my doubt is if there is a way to configure it not to make the failover
automatically and have someone run the failover manually, can you provide
any configuration example please? is this stanza the one that does the
magic?

auto_failback "on"

Thanks for your time and support
Best regards

marcus at synchromedia

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

On 23 Apr 2012, at 02:23, Net Warrior wrote:

> auto_failback "on"

No. As far as I'm aware this is to control what happens when your initial node recovers. If you have 2 nodes, a and b, and a is active, but then fails, b will take over, but when a is fixed and recovers, heartbeat will 'fail back' to a automatically if this property is on. You might want this if a is a faster/better server.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK info [at] han CRM solutions

michalko.system at a-i-p

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

Hi, "Net Warrior"!

What version of HA/Pacemaker do you use?
Did you already "RTFM" - e.g.
http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained
- or:
http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch

HTH

Nikita Michalko

Am Montag, 23. April 2012 02:23:20 schrieb Net Warrior:
> Hi There
>
> I configured heartbeat to failover an IP address , if I for example
> shutdown one node, the other takes it's ip address, so far so good, now
> my doubt is if there is a way to configure it not to make the failover
> automatically and have someone run the failover manually, can you provide
> any configuration example please? is this stanza the one that does the
> magic?
>
> auto_failback "on"
>

> Thanks for your time and support
> Best regards

netwarrior863 at gmail

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

Hi Nikita

This is the version
heartbeat-3.0.0-0.7

My aim is to, if node1 is powered off or losts it's ethernet
connection,. node2 wont make the failover automatically, I want to
make it manually, but could not find how to accomplish that.

2012/4/23, Nikita Michalko <michalko.system [at] a-i-p>:
> Hi, "Net Warrior"!
>

> What version of HA/Pacemaker do you use?
> Did you already "RTFM" - e.g.
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained
> - or:
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch
>

> HTH
>

> Nikita Michalko
>
> Am Montag, 23. April 2012 02:23:20 schrieb Net Warrior:
>> Hi There
>>
>> I configured heartbeat to failover an IP address , if I for example
>> shutdown one node, the other takes it's ip address, so far so good, now
>> my doubt is if there is a way to configure it not to make the failover
>> automatically and have someone run the failover manually, can you provide
>> any configuration example please? is this stanza the one that does the
>> magic?
>>
>> auto_failback "on"
>>

>> Thanks for your time and support
>> Best regards

david at davidcoulson

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

Why even use heartbeat then - Just manually ifconfig the interface.

On 4/23/12 7:39 AM, Net Warrior wrote:
> Hi Nikita
>
> This is the version
> heartbeat-3.0.0-0.7
>
> My aim is to, if node1 is powered off or losts it's ethernet
> connection,. node2 wont make the failover automatically, I want to
> make it manually, but could not find how to accomplish that.
>

> Thanks for your time and support
> Best regards
>

> 2012/4/23, Nikita Michalko<michalko.system [at] a-i-p>:
>> Hi, "Net Warrior"!
>>

>> What version of HA/Pacemaker do you use?
>> Did you already "RTFM" - e.g.
>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained
>> - or:
>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch
>>

>> HTH
>>

>> Nikita Michalko
>>
>> Am Montag, 23. April 2012 02:23:20 schrieb Net Warrior:
>>> Hi There
>>>
>>> I configured heartbeat to failover an IP address , if I for example
>>> shutdown one node, the other takes it's ip address, so far so good, now
>>> my doubt is if there is a way to configure it not to make the failover
>>> automatically and have someone run the failover manually, can you provide
>>> any configuration example please? is this stanza the one that does the
>>> magic?
>>>
>>> auto_failback "on"
>>>

>>> Thanks for your time and support
>>> Best regards

netwarrior863 at gmail

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

True, but even on the most expensive software likve Veritas Cluster or
Red Hat Cluster I can configure how I want to failover the resources (
auto or manual ), that's why my curiosity to acomplish the same in
here.

Thanks for your time
Best Regards

2012/4/23, David Coulson <david [at] davidcoulson>:
> Why even use heartbeat then - Just manually ifconfig the interface.
>
> On 4/23/12 7:39 AM, Net Warrior wrote:
>> Hi Nikita
>>
>> This is the version
>> heartbeat-3.0.0-0.7
>>
>> My aim is to, if node1 is powered off or losts it's ethernet
>> connection,. node2 wont make the failover automatically, I want to
>> make it manually, but could not find how to accomplish that.
>>

>> Thanks for your time and support
>> Best regards
>>

>> 2012/4/23, Nikita Michalko<michalko.system [at] a-i-p>:
>>> Hi, "Net Warrior"!
>>>

>>> What version of HA/Pacemaker do you use?
>>> Did you already "RTFM" - e.g.
>>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Pacemaker_Explained
>>> - or:
>>> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html/Clusters_from_Scratch
>>>

>>> HTH
>>>

>>> Nikita Michalko

andreas at hastexo

Re: Heartbeat Failover Configuration Question [In reply to]

On 04/23/2012 01:47 PM, Net Warrior wrote:
> True, but even on the most expensive software likve Veritas Cluster or
> Red Hat Cluster I can configure how I want to failover the resources (
> auto or manual ), that's why my curiosity to acomplish the same in
> here.

with the help of the meat-ware stonith plugin a manual acknowledge of
the failover process is required.

Regards,
Andreas

--