Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

IPaddr2 and Cisco routers

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

grebennikov at sarenergo

IPaddr2 and Cisco routers

Hi all!
I've got an issue connected with ipaddr2 resource and cisco routers.
I've set up two nodes with a shared IP. When I have one node up, it gets
right requests from the remote network (through the router), and answers
them. After that I switch the node to standby mode and the other is
going up. The problem is that the first node continues to get requests,
but since it doesn't have a virtual ip more, it doesn't answer requests.
Why could it happen?
P.S.: when the nodes work only inside the internal network, all works right.

--

Faithfully, Andrey Grebennikov

misch at clusterbau

Re: IPaddr2 and Cisco routers [In reply to]

> Hi all!
> I've got an issue connected with ipaddr2 resource and cisco routers.
> I've set up two nodes with a shared IP. When I have one node up, it gets
> right requests from the remote network (through the router), and answers
> them. After that I switch the node to standby mode and the other is
> going up. The problem is that the first node continues to get requests,
> but since it doesn't have a virtual ip more, it doesn't answer requests.
> Why could it happen?
> P.S.: when the nodes work only inside the internal network, all works
> right.

As far as I remember Cisco devices do not learn the multicast MAC addresses
for the unicast Cluster IP addresses correct. You have to add the mac address
static.

For the basics see:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=michael%20schwartzkopff%20clusterip%20cisco&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.linux-
magazine.com%2Fcontent%2Fdownload%2F63383%2F487982%2Ffile%2FClusterip.pdf&ei=leSLT-
TREInBtAamyvzMCw&usg=AFQjCNEQIFTjMd6nVJqW4tHK8RvNwOoXdg&cad=rja

Please check if it is still valid for Cisco devices.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

Thomas.Wieschke at vsa

Re: IPaddr2 and Cisco routers [In reply to]

We use /usr/lib64/heartbeat/send_arp to propagate the ip-address changes

HTH

Thomas Wieschke

I've got an issue connected with ipaddr2 resource and cisco routers.
I've set up two nodes with a shared IP. When I have one node up, it gets right requests from the remote network (through the router), and answers them. After that I switch the node to standby mode and the other is going up. The problem is that the first node continues to get requests, but since it doesn't have a virtual ip more, it doesn't answer requests.
Why could it happen?
P.S.: when the nodes work only inside the internal network, all works right.

--

Faithfully, Andrey Grebennikov

misch at schwartzkopff

Re: IPaddr2 and Cisco routers [In reply to]

> We use /usr/lib64/heartbeat/send_arp to propagate the ip-address changes
>
> HTH
>
> Thomas Wieschke

From the cisco documentation:

However, since the incoming packets have a unicast destination IP address and
multicast destination MAC the Cisco device ignores this entry and process-
switches each cluster-bound packets. In order to avoid this process switching,
insert a static mac-address-table entry as given below in order to switch
cluster-bound packets in hardware.

mac-address-table static 0300.5e11.1111 vlan 200 interface
fa2/3 fa2/4

See:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a0080a07203.shtml

--