Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

Off-site Quorum Provider?

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

eric.robinson at psmnv

Mar 2, 2012, 1:34 PM

Off-site Quorum Provider?

We have two geographically separate data centers connected by 4 x
Gigabit links (in 2 trunks). Our HA clusters are distributed between the
data centers, with each node of a 2-node cluster in a separate data
center. (In the case of our 3-node clusters, 2 nodes are in one data
center and the 3rd node is in the other data center.) Cluster membership
information is communicated though both of the Gigabit trunks, where
each trunk is a separate Corosync ring. DRBD is replicated through one
of the trunks.

Question: If the links between the data centers are severed, split brain
will occur. What is the best way to provide quorum from a third location
out on the Internet?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - March 2, 2012
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for General Linux-HA mailing list. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

eric.robinson at psmnv

Mar 2, 2012, 1:45 PM

Re: Off-site Quorum Provider? [In reply to]

Hi there, Florian! Long time no talk. Thanks for the rapid response. The
answer was not clear-cut the last time I looked into this. I will
definitely read up on these solutions. Thanks again.

--Eric

Disclaimer - March 2, 2012
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for General Linux-HA mailing list. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.

florian at hastexo

Mar 2, 2012, 1:45 PM

Re: Off-site Quorum Provider? [In reply to]

Hi Eric!

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Robinson, Eric <eric.robinson [at] psmnv> wrote:
> We have two geographically separate data centers connected by 4 x
> Gigabit links (in 2 trunks). Our HA clusters are distributed between the
> data centers, with each node of a 2-node cluster in a separate data
> center. (In the case of our 3-node clusters, 2 nodes are in one data
> center and the 3rd node is in the other data center.) Cluster membership
> information is communicated though both of the Gigabit trunks, where
> each trunk is a separate Corosync ring. DRBD is replicated through one
> of the trunks.
>
> Question: If the links between the data centers are severed, split brain
> will occur. What is the best way to provide quorum from a third location
> out on the Internet?

booth and booth-arbitrator, supported from Pacemaker 1.1.6 forward.

Details here, courtesy of SUSE:
http://doc.opensuse.org/products/draft/SLE-HA/SLE-ha-guide_sd_draft/cha.ha.geo.html

Cheers,
Florian