Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

Antw: Re: Q: RA "reload"

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Ulrich.Windl at rz

Dec 1, 2011, 12:35 AM

Antw: Re: Q: RA "reload"

OK,

I read "9.5. Reloading Services After a Definition Change".So the filesystem RA lacks a "reload" operation. However even when having a "reload" operation, not all parameter changes can be done via a "reload"; some need a real restart.

Now the confusing thing comes into play: Why can't a "unique" parameter be changed and then the service be reloaded?
You are unnecessarily overloading the semantics of "unique" with something completely unrelated:

There are unique parameters that can be changed, still allowing a reload.
There are non-unique parameters that can be changed, but don't allow a reload.

Why not having a "reloadable" attribute for parameters that can be reloaded?

That's another example for some strange design. I also don't understand the note: "The metadata is re-read when the resource is started. This may mean that
the resource will be restarted the first time, even though you changed a
parameter with unique=0"

I read this as ``the first "reload" will always be a "restart" for no obvious reason''.

Regards,
Ulrich

On 11/30/2011 12:58 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when changing the performce-related-only mount option for a filesystem I noticed that the LRM decided to restart the resource and all the depending resources.
>
> As I know that Linux supports "-o remount", such a restart would not be necessary.
>
> So I wonder: When ever will the LRM decide to try a "reload" method (assuming the RA has one)?
>
> A pointer to the documentation would be OK.

http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html#s-reload

Regards,
Andreas

--
Need help with Pacemaker?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

> Regards,
> Ulrich

Ulrich.Windl at rz

Dec 1, 2011, 1:55 AM

Antw: Re: Q: RA "reload" [In reply to]

<4ED6357A.5040007 [at] hastexo>:
> On 11/30/2011 12:58 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when changing the performce-related-only mount option for a filesystem I
> noticed that the LRM decided to restart the resource and all the depending
> resources.
> >
> > As I know that Linux supports "-o remount", such a restart would not be
> necessary.
> >
> > So I wonder: When ever will the LRM decide to try a "reload" method
> (assuming the RA has one)?
> >
> > A pointer to the documentation would be OK.
>
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Expla
> ined/index.html#s-reload

Hi!

I just noticed that "5 Resource Agent Actions" in the current dev-guide does not even mention "reload" anywhere. So no surprise that only very few agents support it.

Regards,
Ulrich