Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

rpc.statd not filling /var/lib/nfs/sm

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

free.lan.c2.718r at gmail

Nov 1, 2011, 3:49 PM

rpc.statd not filling /var/lib/nfs/sm

Hi everyone!

Sorry for asking here. This is a question primarily about NFS (which I
plan to use as part of a heartbeat cluster later on), but I've found a
lot of people discussing it here, while I had troubles finding nfs
specific mailing lists, where you can post to everyone, so it would be
great if anyone could help.

My setup: NFS server — Debian Sqeeze (kernel version 2.6.32-5-686),
test clients — same OS, nfs-utils — 1.2.2-4.

I'm having some issues with rpc.statd functionality or I misunderstand
how it is supposed to work. As I've read:
> The first file locking interaction between an NFS client and server causes the NFS lock
> managers on both peers to contact their local NSM service to store information about the
> opposite peer. On Linux, the local lock manager contacts rpc.statd.

What is this locking iteration? If I open a file on NFS share from
client with mcedit (it is writable to the user), I don't get any
entries in /var/lib/nfs/sm on either server or client. These files
don't show up even if I open shared file concurrently from 2 client
machines .

I can't really think of the reason, why may this not be working. Of
what I have found on the topic, everything seems to be all right: rpc
calls are okay in both directions, rpc.statd and rpc.lockd are running
on server and clients, there are no denying rules (/etc/hosts.deny is
empty for now), there are no errors or warnings about any nfs services
in /var/log/daemon.log.

Here is the output of 'rpcinfo -p':
on server
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 41579 status
100024 1 tcp 48859 status
100021 1 udp 33292 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 33292 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 33292 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 60197 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 60197 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 60197 nlockmgr
100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100003 4 udp 2049 nfs
100005 1 udp 57773 mountd
100005 1 tcp 58996 mountd
100005 2 udp 57773 mountd
100005 2 tcp 58996 mountd
100005 3 udp 57773 mountd
100005 3 tcp 58996 mountd

on clients
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100024 1 udp 55919 status
100024 1 tcp 42717 status
100021 1 udp 59095 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 59095 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 59095 nlockmgr
100021 1 tcp 51318 nlockmgr
100021 3 tcp 51318 nlockmgr
100021 4 tcp 51318 nlockmgr

The same is true if I ask about rpc services remotely 'rpcinfo -p hostname/IP'.

Please, explain me, when files in /var/lib/nfs/sm have to occur (what
is actually nfs file locking) or is there anything else I need to get
it working? Thanks a lot!