Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users

Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode

Linux-HA users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jakub.kuzniar at s4

Dec 15, 2008, 3:33 PM

Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode

Hi everybody,

I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am running two
node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my configuration worked
fine, but after upgrade strange things started to happen. When one of the node
was switched to stand-by mode the virtual machines were migrated (live) to the
second node, forcing the restart of the virtual machines running on second
node. When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of VMs
running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I' am probably
making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very grateful for any
help. I attach also configuration part of cib and ha.cf file.

Thank you for response

Jakub
Attachments: cib.xml (10.9 KB)
  ha.cf (0.21 KB)

beekhof at gmail

Dec 16, 2008, 2:48 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 00:33, Jakub Ku╝niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am running two
> node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my configuration worked
> fine, but after upgrade strange things started to happen. When one of the node
> was switched to stand-by mode the virtual machines were migrated (live) to the
> second node, forcing the restart of the virtual machines running on second
> node.

So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
restart of the resources already on the second node?

If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to true.

> When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
> where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of VMs
> running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I' am probably
> making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very grateful for any
> help. I attach also configuration part of cib and ha.cf file.
>
> Thank you for response
>
> Jakub

jakub.kuzniar at s4

Dec 16, 2008, 4:58 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Thank you very much for help

> So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> restart of the resources already on the second node?

Yes, that's right. There is an unnecessary restart of resources on second
node.

> If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to true.

I have added this meta attribute for clone resources Xenconfig_cloneset and
Xendata_clonest. I also attached a new version of CIB with this attribute
added. But there was no change. Still resources one the second node are
restarted whenever first node is switched into stand-by mode. I have erased
CIB content and added resources configuration again. Still the same result.

Jakub

On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 11:48:07 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 00:33, Jakub Ku┼║niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am running
> > two node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my configuration
> > worked fine, but after upgrade strange things started to happen. When one
> > of the node was switched to stand-by mode the virtual machines were
> > migrated (live) to the second node, forcing the restart of the virtual
> > machines running on second node.
>
> So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> restart of the resources already on the second node?
>
> If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to true.
>
> > When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
> > where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of VMs
> > running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I' am
> > probably making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very
> > grateful for any help. I attach also configuration part of cib and ha.cf
> > file.
> >
> > Thank you for response
> >
> > Jakub

Attachments: cib.xml (11.0 KB)

michalko.system at a-i-p

Dec 16, 2008, 5:44 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi Jakub,

I dont know too much about Stonith/Ipmi, but I noticed the following in your
cib.xml:
<nvpair id="ipmistonith0_userid" name="userid" value="stoop"/>
... <nvpair id="ipmistonith1_userid" name="userid" value="stoop"/>
-> look at this : ^^^

HTH

Nikita Michalko

Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 13:58 schrieb Jakub Ku┼║niar:
> Thank you very much for help
>
> > So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> > restart of the resources already on the second node?
>
> Yes, that's right. There is an unnecessary restart of resources on second
> node.
>
> > If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> > true.
>
> I have added this meta attribute for clone resources Xenconfig_cloneset and
> Xendata_clonest. I also attached a new version of CIB with this attribute
> added. But there was no change. Still resources one the second node are
> restarted whenever first node is switched into stand-by mode. I have erased
> CIB content and added resources configuration again. Still the same result.
>

> Jakub
>
> On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 11:48:07 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 00:33, Jakub Ku┼║niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am
> > > running two node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my
> > > configuration worked fine, but after upgrade strange things started to
> > > happen. When one of the node was switched to stand-by mode the virtual
> > > machines were migrated (live) to the second node, forcing the restart
> > > of the virtual machines running on second node.
> >
> > So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> > restart of the resources already on the second node?
> >
> > If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> > true.
> >
> > > When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
> > > where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of
> > > VMs running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I'
> > > am probably making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very
> > > grateful for any help. I attach also configuration part of cib and
> > > ha.cf file.
> > >
> > > Thank you for response
> > >
> > > Jakub

beekhof at gmail

Dec 16, 2008, 5:58 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 13:58, Jakub Ku╝niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> Thank you very much for help
>

>> So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
>> restart of the resources already on the second node?
>
> Yes, that's right. There is an unnecessary restart of resources on second
> node.
>
>> If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to true.
>
> I have added this meta attribute for clone resources Xenconfig_cloneset and
> Xendata_clonest. I also attached a new version of CIB with this attribute
> added. But there was no change. Still resources one the second node are
> restarted whenever first node is switched into stand-by mode. I have erased
> CIB content and added resources configuration again. Still the same result.

I'd need more than the CIB. Can you create a bugzilla entry and
attach a hb_report tarball?

hunvagyok at freemail

Dec 16, 2008, 9:52 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi,

Not sure you need bugzilla, it's already been discussed on the list.
What you need is this:

add 'score="0"' to the rsc_order
constraints for all your resources.

I had this even in 2.1.3 and Lars provided the solution above which
worked instantly. Whether it's still a bug or not? Decide yourself but
looking at Andrew's Ordering_explained.pdf score=0 is not actually a bad
idea and I think should be in CRM anyway.

Regards,
Ivan

On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 11:48 +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 00:33, Jakub Ku┼║niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am running two
> > node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my configuration worked
> > fine, but after upgrade strange things started to happen. When one of the node
> > was switched to stand-by mode the virtual machines were migrated (live) to the
> > second node, forcing the restart of the virtual machines running on second
> > node.
>
> So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> restart of the resources already on the second node?
>
> If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to true.
>
> > When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
> > where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of VMs
> > running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I' am probably
> > making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very grateful for any
> > help. I attach also configuration part of cib and ha.cf file.
> >
> > Thank you for response
> >
> > Jakub

jakub.kuzniar at s4

Dec 16, 2008, 5:58 PM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi Ivan,

I have followed Andrew's Ordering_explained.pdf and looked at the mailing list
archive. Also I have added score="0" to the order constraints definitions.
After a lot of extensive testing It looks like the cluster now is working
stable. The are no unnecessary resources restart while switching node to the
stand-by mode. Thank you for the solution !

> I had this even in 2.1.3 and Lars provided the solution above which
> worked instantly. Whether it's still a bug or not? Decide yourself but
> looking at Andrew's Ordering_explained.pdf score=0 is not actually a bad
> idea and I think should be in CRM anyway.

I think it's not a bug, it is a feature :)
Maybe not documented well.

Andrew Ivan and Nikita thank you for taking your time to track down my
problem.

I've got one more question about stand-by mode. When one of cluster nodes is
in stand-by, crm_verlify -LV returns warnings about resources stopped on this
node(no errors, or failed actions):

WARN: native_color: Resource ipmistonith1 cannot run anywhere
WARN: native_color: Resource Xenconfig_clone:0 cannot run anywhere
WARN: native_color: Resource Xendata_clone:0 cannot run anywhere
Warnings found during check: config may not be valid

I' am not sure should I here treat this warnings like an information only or
this indicates some errors in my configuration.

Best regards

Jakub

On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 18:52:05 Ivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure you need bugzilla, it's already been discussed on the list.
> What you need is this:
>
> add 'score="0"' to the rsc_order
> constraints for all your resources.
>
> I had this even in 2.1.3 and Lars provided the solution above which
> worked instantly. Whether it's still a bug or not? Decide yourself but
> looking at Andrew's Ordering_explained.pdf score=0 is not actually a bad
> idea and I think should be in CRM anyway.
>
> Regards,
> Ivan
>
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 11:48 +0100, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 00:33, Jakub Ku┼║niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I have recently updated heartbeat 2.0.8 to heartbeat 2.1.4. I'am
> > > running two node Xen cluster using OCFS2. With heartbeat 2.0.8 my
> > > configuration worked fine, but after upgrade strange things started to
> > > happen. When one of the node was switched to stand-by mode the virtual
> > > machines were migrated (live) to the second node, forcing the restart
> > > of the virtual machines running on second node.
> >
> > So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> > restart of the resources already on the second node?
> >
> > If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> > true.
> >
> > > When the first node was then switched back online, the failed over VMs,
> > > where migrated back to first node, once again causing the restart of
> > > VMs running on the second node. This behaviour seems strange to me. I'
> > > am probably making some mistake in the configuration. I would be very
> > > grateful for any help. I attach also configuration part of cib and
> > > ha.cf file.
> > >
> > > Thank you for response
> > >
> > > Jakub

jakub.kuzniar at s4

Dec 16, 2008, 6:08 PM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Andrew, I can still create a bugzilla entry and submit hb_report data if
score="0" is only a workaround for my issue. Should I create it ?

Thank you

On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 14:58:26 Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 13:58, Jakub Ku┼║niar <jakub.kuzniar [at] s4> wrote:
> > Thank you very much for help
> >
> >> So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> >> restart of the resources already on the second node?
> >
> > Yes, that's right. There is an unnecessary restart of resources on second
> > node.
> >
> >> If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> >> true.
> >
> > I have added this meta attribute for clone resources Xenconfig_cloneset
> > and Xendata_clonest. I also attached a new version of CIB with this
> > attribute added. But there was no change. Still resources one the second
> > node are restarted whenever first node is switched into stand-by mode. I
> > have erased CIB content and added resources configuration again. Still
> > the same result.
>
> I'd need more than the CIB. Can you create a bugzilla entry and
> attach a hb_report tarball?

jakub.kuzniar at s4

Dec 16, 2008, 6:31 PM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for interest in my issue.

I'am not sure where should I look at, maybe because of different e-mail
formatting. userid is intentionally set to the same value on both nodes in
ipmi subsystem for simpler administration. But maybe it's wrong ? It's is
working good at now despite of heartbeat upgrade.

Jakub

On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 14:44:19 Nikita Michalko wrote:
> Hi Jakub,
>
> I dont know too much about Stonith/Ipmi, but I noticed the following in
> your cib.xml:
> <nvpair id="ipmistonith0_userid" name="userid" value="stoop"/>
> ... <nvpair id="ipmistonith1_userid" name="userid" value="stoop"/>
> -> look at this : ^^^
>

> HTH
>
> Nikita Michalko
>
> Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 13:58 schrieb Jakub Ku┼║niar:
> > Thank you very much for help
> >
> > > So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> > > restart of the resources already on the second node?
> >
> > Yes, that's right. There is an unnecessary restart of resources on second
> > node.
> >
> > > If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> > > true.
> >
> > I have added this meta attribute for clone resources Xenconfig_cloneset
> > and Xendata_clonest. I also attached a new version of CIB with this
> > attribute added. But there was no change. Still resources one the second
> > node are restarted whenever first node is switched into stand-by mode. I
> > have erased CIB content and added resources configuration again. Still
> > the same result.
> >

> > Jakub
> >
> > On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 11:48:07 Andrew Beekhof wrote:

> > > So the problem is not that they migrated, but that this caused a
> > > restart of the resources already on the second node?
> > >
> > > If so, add the interleave meta attribute to the clones and set it to
> > > true.

Jakub Ku┼║niar
IT Specialist

tel. kom.: (+48) 608 32 53 72
Agencja Reklamowa S4 S.A.
Centrala ul. Rakowicka 18 A; 31-510 Krak├│w
tel.: (+48 12) 295 44 44; fax: (+48 12) 295 44 51
Oddział Warszawa ul. Drużynowa 8; 02-590 Warszawa
tel.: (+48 22) 854 00 33; fax: (+48 22) 646 68 02
S─ůd Rejonowy dla Krakowa - ┼Ür├│dmie┼Ťcia, XI Wydzia┼é Gospodarczy, numer KRS
0000298194
NIP 676-21-79-319, kapitał zakładowy 500 000 PLN (kapitał wpłacony 500 000
PLN)

Informacja zawarta w tym mailu jest poufna i obj─Öta tajemnic─ů zawodow─ů. Mail
skierowany jest wy┼é─ůcznie do osoby wymienionej powy┼╝ej. Je┼╝eli osoba, kt├│ra
otrzymała mail, nie jest jego adresatem lub przedstawicielem adresata, to
niniejszym zostaje ona powiadomiona, ┼╝e zapoznanie si─Ö z tre┼Ťci─ů,
rozpowszechnianie lub kopiowanie tego maila albo zawartych w nim informacji
jest zakazane. Je┼╝eli mail otrzymany zosta┼é przez niew┼éa┼Ťciw─ů osob─Ö, uprzejmie
prosz─Ö o natychmiastowe powiadomienie o tym fakcie nadawcy i zniszczenie
dokumentu. Je┼Ťli niniejsza wiadomo┼Ť─ç stanowi lub zawiera jakikolwiek utw├│r w
rozumieniu ustawy o prawie autorskim i prawach pokrewnych, pozostaje on pod
ochron─ů jej przepis├│w i nie mo┼╝e zosta─ç w jakikolwiek spos├│b wykorzystany.
Dzi─Ökuj─Ö.

hunvagyok at freemail

Dec 16, 2008, 11:51 PM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi,

> Andrew Ivan and Nikita thank you for taking your time to track down my
> problem.

I'm glad we spot the problem and Lars' solution worked for you too.

> I've got one more question about stand-by mode. When one of cluster nodes is
> in stand-by, crm_verlify -LV returns warnings about resources stopped on this
> node(no errors, or failed actions):
>
> WARN: native_color: Resource ipmistonith1 cannot run anywhere
> WARN: native_color: Resource Xenconfig_clone:0 cannot run anywhere
> WARN: native_color: Resource Xendata_clone:0 cannot run anywhere
> Warnings found during check: config may not be valid

That's perfectly normal, I guess those are clone resources. HA is doing
it's job, trying to run all your resources but if you put a node into
standby you instruct the cluster not doing so. Of course it cannot run
anywhere, you probably set where to run those but in standby you don't
run them. :)

This is just warning not error and normal. They will disappear as soon
as you put the node back to active status.

Regards,
Ivan

dejanmm at fastmail

Dec 17, 2008, 6:29 AM

Re: Resource restart after switching to stand-by mode [In reply to]

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 03:08:58AM +0100, Jakub Ku??niar wrote:

> Andrew, I can still create a bugzilla entry and submit hb_report data if
> score="0" is only a workaround for my issue. Should I create it ?

Please do.

Thanks,

Dejan