Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Users
I suppose introductions are in order now...

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

andy at globalauctions

Jan 26, 1998, 10:53 PM

I suppose introductions are in order now... [In reply to]

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Andy Thomson wrote:
> The "shared" or common drive implementation is a little more difficult to
> do in Linux. In tests, I used a single external scsi drive with two
> connectors, one for the primary system, and one for the secondary. The
> primary's scsi adapter was set for an address of 7, the secondary's
> was set to an address of 6, and the drive was set to an address of 1. As
> to be expected there were some problems with the setup, scsi termination,
> and scsi termination power source. However it did allow me to conduct a
> proof of concept evaluation. (it worked)
>
> Now it is much easier to implement, as many disk drives support active
> termination. I just recently acquired a Quantum drive that does active
> termination, and I am anxious to test it out. I intend to have the Quantum
> provide termination power. The theory is, if either the primary or secondary
> system fails, the Quantum drive will automatically sense the loss of
> termination, and correctly supply it.

Wouldn't external termination (rather than the system SCSI controllers
providing termination internally) avoid this problem altogether?

-Andy

Global Auctions
http://www.globalauctions.com

Subject User Time
I suppose introductions are in order now... dave at tamos Jan 26, 1998, 3:19 PM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... jiva at devware Jan 26, 1998, 6:20 PM
        I suppose introductions are in order now... dave at tamos Jan 26, 1998, 7:00 PM
        I suppose introductions are in order now... andy.thomson at worldnet Jan 26, 1998, 10:44 PM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... Bill at Dyess Jan 26, 1998, 7:19 PM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... andy at globalauctions Jan 26, 1998, 10:53 PM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... harald at plt Jan 27, 1998, 2:52 AM
        I suppose introductions are in order now... adevries at engsoc Jan 27, 1998, 1:29 AM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... andy at globalauctions Jan 27, 1998, 10:14 AM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... alan at lxorguk Jan 27, 1998, 12:40 PM
        I suppose introductions are in order now... astor at guardian Jan 27, 1998, 1:02 PM
        I suppose introductions are in order now... adevries at engsoc Jan 27, 1998, 1:38 PM
    I suppose introductions are in order now... tpo2 at spin Jan 28, 1998, 2:18 AM