Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Pacemaker

clvmd start times out

 

 

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


misch at clusterbau

May 15, 2013, 3:34 AM

Post #1 of 9 (897 views)
Permalink
clvmd start times out

Hi,

perhaps a little bit off topic, but I have a clvmd problem in my cluster.

When I start my clvmd with /etc/init.d/clvmd on one node, the script times
out. But the clvmd process is running the node. It seems there is a problem
scanning the VGs.

When I enter pvdisplay I get:

clvmd not running on node node2
Unable to obtain global lock.

Any ideas?

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63
81375 München

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98


lmb at suse

May 15, 2013, 4:35 AM

Post #2 of 9 (857 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

On 2013-05-15T12:34:54, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> perhaps a little bit off topic, but I have a clvmd problem in my cluster.
>
> When I start my clvmd with /etc/init.d/clvmd on one node, the script times
> out. But the clvmd process is running the node. It seems there is a problem
> scanning the VGs.

Platform? Versions? Rest of the configuration?


--
Architect Storage/HA
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." -- Oscar Wilde


_______________________________________________
Pacemaker mailing list: Pacemaker [at] oss
http://oss.clusterlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/pacemaker

Project Home: http://www.clusterlabs.org
Getting started: http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org


misch at clusterbau

May 15, 2013, 4:59 AM

Post #3 of 9 (854 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 13:35:21 schrieb Lars Marowsky-Bree:
> On 2013-05-15T12:34:54, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > perhaps a little bit off topic, but I have a clvmd problem in my cluster.
> >
> > When I start my clvmd with /etc/init.d/clvmd on one node, the script times
> > out. But the clvmd process is running the node. It seems there is a
> > problem
> > scanning the VGs.
>
> Platform? Versions? Rest of the configuration?

gentoo

cman 3.1.5-r1
lvm2 2.02.97-r1
libdlm 3.1.5
corosync 1.4.5

lvm.conf:
locking_type = 2

Need the full config?

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63
81375 München

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98


emi2fast at gmail

May 15, 2013, 5:34 AM

Post #4 of 9 (855 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

clvm locking type is 3


2013/5/15 Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau>

> **
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 13:35:21 schrieb Lars Marowsky-Bree:
>
> > On 2013-05-15T12:34:54, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau>
> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > >
>
> > > perhaps a little bit off topic, but I have a clvmd problem in my
> cluster.
>
> > >
>
> > > When I start my clvmd with /etc/init.d/clvmd on one node, the script
> times
>
> > > out. But the clvmd process is running the node. It seems there is a
>
> > > problem
>
> > > scanning the VGs.
>
> >
>
> > Platform? Versions? Rest of the configuration?
>
>
>
> gentoo
>
>
>
> cman 3.1.5-r1
>
> lvm2 2.02.97-r1
>
> libdlm 3.1.5
>
> corosync 1.4.5
>
>
>
> lvm.conf:
>
> locking_type = 2
>
>
>
> Need the full config?
>
>
>
> --
>
> Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
>
> Guardinistr. 63
>
> 81375 München
>
>
>
> Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pacemaker mailing list: Pacemaker [at] oss
> http://oss.clusterlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/pacemaker
>
> Project Home: http://www.clusterlabs.org
> Getting started: http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
> Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
>
>


--
esta es mi vida e me la vivo hasta que dios quiera


misch at clusterbau

May 15, 2013, 5:42 AM

Post #5 of 9 (851 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 14:34:55 schrieb emmanuel segura:
> clvm locking type is 3

if you want to use internal locking. If you want to use separate libraries you
can choose "2". At lease that is what I understood from the docs.

And clvm works lick a charm if I start it on both nodes.

Greetings,

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63
81375 München

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98


emi2fast at gmail

May 15, 2013, 5:48 AM

Post #6 of 9 (855 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Hello Michael

I always used clvm on redhat cluster suite and suse hae with locking type
3, i seen this from man lvm.conf

If set to 2, the tools will load the external lock‐
ing_library (see below). If the tools were configured
--with-cluster=internal (the default) then 3 means to use built-in
cluster-wide locking. Type 4
enforces read-only metadata and forbids any operations
that might want to modify Volume Group metadata. All changes to logical
volumes and their states
are communicated using locks.



2013/5/15 Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau>

> **
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 14:34:55 schrieb emmanuel segura:
>
> > clvm locking type is 3
>
>
>
> if you want to use internal locking. If you want to use separate libraries
> you can choose "2". At lease that is what I understood from the docs.
>
>
>
> And clvm works lick a charm if I start it on both nodes.
>
>
>
> Greetings,
>
>
>
> --
>
> Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
>
> Guardinistr. 63
>
> 81375 München
>
>
>
> Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pacemaker mailing list: Pacemaker [at] oss
> http://oss.clusterlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/pacemaker
>
> Project Home: http://www.clusterlabs.org
> Getting started: http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
> Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
>
>


--
esta es mi vida e me la vivo hasta que dios quiera


misch at clusterbau

May 15, 2013, 5:54 AM

Post #7 of 9 (861 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 14:48:14 schrieb emmanuel segura:
> Hello Michael
>
> I always used clvm on redhat cluster suite and suse hae with locking type
> 3, i seen this from man lvm.conf
>
> If set to 2, the tools will load the external lock‐
> ing_library (see below). If the tools were configured
> --with-cluster=internal (the default) then 3 means to use built-in
> cluster-wide locking. Type 4
> enforces read-only metadata and forbids any operations
> that might want to modify Volume Group metadata. All changes to logical
> volumes and their states
> are communicated using locks.

I know. But this is no RH cluster, but gentoo. No internal locking compiled
into the clvmd. library works if both node are online.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63
81375 München

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98


misch at schwartzkopff

May 15, 2013, 6:00 AM

Post #8 of 9 (853 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 13:35:21 schrieb Lars Marowsky-Bree:
> On 2013-05-15T12:34:54, Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > perhaps a little bit off topic, but I have a clvmd problem in my cluster.
> >
> > When I start my clvmd with /etc/init.d/clvmd on one node, the script times
> > out. But the clvmd process is running the node. It seems there is a
> > problem
> > scanning the VGs.
>
> Platform? Versions? Rest of the configuration?

Ah! It seems to be a problem if the cman/corosync runs on both nodes, but
clvmd only on one node.

Then the first node waits forever to find the locking feedback of the second
node since it *knows* it is online.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63
81375 München

Tel: (0162) 1650044
Fax: (089) 620 304 13


emi2fast at gmail

May 15, 2013, 6:12 AM

Post #9 of 9 (852 views)
Permalink
Re: clvmd start times out [In reply to]

Hello Machel

Thanks, so let me understand, i never use gentoo, what happen if you start
your cluster with just one node? if you see this error "Unable to obtain
global lock" this is because glock is provide by dlm and for clvmd
communicate with dlm need lock type 3

This is what know, this is same on suse 11 and redhat

Thanks


2013/5/15 Michael Schwartzkopff <misch [at] clusterbau>

> **
>
> Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2013, 14:48:14 schrieb emmanuel segura:
>
> > Hello Michael
>
> >
>
> > I always used clvm on redhat cluster suite and suse hae with locking type
>
> > 3, i seen this from man lvm.conf
>
> >
>
> > If set to 2, the tools will load the external lock‐
>
> > ing_library (see below). If the tools were configured
>
> > --with-cluster=internal (the default) then 3 means to use built-in
>
> > cluster-wide locking. Type 4
>
> > enforces read-only metadata and forbids any operations
>
> > that might want to modify Volume Group metadata. All changes to logical
>
> > volumes and their states
>
> > are communicated using locks.
>
>
>
> I know. But this is no RH cluster, but gentoo. No internal locking
> compiled into the clvmd. library works if both node are online.
>
>
>
> --
>
> Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
>
> Guardinistr. 63
>
> 81375 München
>
>
>
> Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pacemaker mailing list: Pacemaker [at] oss
> http://oss.clusterlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/pacemaker
>
> Project Home: http://www.clusterlabs.org
> Getting started: http://www.clusterlabs.org/doc/Cluster_from_Scratch.pdf
> Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
>
>


--
esta es mi vida e me la vivo hasta que dios quiera

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.