Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Pacemaker

remaining node hang & sysconfig/cman CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove"

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

bhaxo at sgi

Aug 20, 2012, 1:07 PM

remaining node hang & sysconfig/cman CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove"

Greetings,

Is there a reason that the setting the sysconfig/cman variable
CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove" is not documented or even mentioned other than
in man cman_tool? A Google search for "CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS Pacemaker"
generates a serious paucity of hits (4), and there have been 0 instances
of the variable name in the past several years on this list.

>From man cman_tool:

remove
Tells the rest of the cluster to recalculate quorum such that
activity can continue without this node.

Setting this variable to "remove" seems to fix the problem of the
surviving node cluster functions hanging when the other node is halted
or rebooted.

For the record, "service cman stop remove" works.

The Pacemaker no-quorum-policy="ignore" seems to not affect this
behavior. One could imagine that setting that policy on a
CMAN/Pacemaker cluster would also set CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove".

Cheers,
Bob Haxo

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

andrew at beekhof

Aug 20, 2012, 5:20 PM

Re: remaining node hang & sysconfig/cman CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove" [In reply to]

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Bob Haxo <bhaxo [at] sgi> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there a reason that the setting the sysconfig/cman variable
> CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove" is not documented or even mentioned other than
> in man cman_tool? A Google search for "CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS Pacemaker"
> generates a serious paucity of hits (4), and there have been 0 instances
> of the variable name in the past several years on this list.

On this list cman is hardly ever mentioned. There is some cross-over
between lists, but for the most part, the cman experts are on
linux-cluster [at] redhat
Personally I've never seen this option before in my life :)

> >From man cman_tool:
>
> remove
> Tells the rest of the cluster to recalculate quorum such that
> activity can continue without this node.
>
> Setting this variable to "remove" seems to fix the problem of the
> surviving node cluster functions hanging when the other node is halted
> or rebooted.
>
> For the record, "service cman stop remove" works.
>
> The Pacemaker no-quorum-policy="ignore" seems to not affect this
> behavior. One could imagine that setting that policy on a
> CMAN/Pacemaker cluster would also set CMAN_LEAVE_OPTS="remove".

No, no-quorum-policy only affects the Pacemaker layer - instructing it
to ignore whatever quorum result cman/corosync/heartbeat/etc comes up
with.