Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Pacemaker

Corosync vs Heartbeat

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mohamed.s at alcatel-lucent

Corosync vs Heartbeat

Hi,

Which combination is good for a 2 node Active - Passive configuration?

Pacemaker + Corosync

or

Pacemaker + heartbeat

Thanks,
Raffi

misch at clusterbau

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

> Hi,
>
> Which combination is good for a 2 node Active - Passive configuration?
>
> Pacemaker + Corosync
>
> or
>
> Pacemaker + heartbeat
>
> Thanks,
> Raffi

See:
http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/post/1262495133/pacemaker-heartbeat-
corosync-wtf

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linuxha/pacemaker/62194

and choose corosync.

--
Dr. Michael Schwartzkopff
Guardinistr. 63

Tel: (0163) 172 50 98
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

lists at alteeve

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

On 04/13/2012 07:35 AM, S, MOHAMED (MOHAMED)** CTR ** wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Which combination is good for a 2 node Active – Passive configuration?
>
> Pacemaker + Corosync
>
> or
>
> Pacemaker + heartbeat
>
> Thanks,
> Raffi

Heartbeat is deprecated and no longer developed (though it is maintained
by Linbit). It is strongly advised that you use corosync.

--
Digimer

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

mohamed.s at alcatel-lucent

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

Michael,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Raffi

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

Digimer,

Thanks for your advise.

Regards,
Raffi

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

Hi,

If I want to try Pacemaker 1.1.7 and Corosync 2.0 in RHEL 5.0,

Where can I find the set of rpms?
I could not find it in the following location
http://www.clusterlabs.org/rpm-next/epel-5/x86_64/

Thanks,
Raffi

andrew at beekhof

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:56 PM, S, MOHAMED (MOHAMED)** CTR **
<mohamed.s [at] alcatel-lucent> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I want to try Pacemaker 1.1.7 and Corosync 2.0 in RHEL 5.0,
>
> Where can I find the set of rpms?

You'd have to build them yourself.
And submit a patch to get it to build there at all I think (because
glib is so old).

Why not use something a little more recent?

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

Andrew,

In our team, couple of years back, we tried to setup 2 nodes Active/Passive HA using pacemaker-1.0.5 and heartbeat-3.0.0

Now, I need to resume that work. First thing I thought I will update the libraries. Looks like I need to replace heartbeat with corosync.

When I looked at the following links in clusterlabs.org site, to my knowledge the recent version available for pacemaker is 1.1.7

http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/

http://www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Get_Pacemaker

And based the corosync.org site, the latest version is 2.0.0

http://www.corosync.org/doku.php?id=releases

If there are more recent and stable versions available that you can suggest, please let me know.

If I have updates for RHEL 5.7, will I be able to build it myself?

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: Corosync vs Heartbeat [In reply to]

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 2:49 PM, S, MOHAMED (MOHAMED)** CTR **
<mohamed.s [at] alcatel-lucent> wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> In our team, couple of years back, we tried to setup 2 nodes Active/Passive HA using pacemaker-1.0.5 and heartbeat-3.0.0
>
> Now, I need to resume that work. First thing I thought I will update the libraries. Looks like I need to replace heartbeat with corosync.
>
> When I looked at the following links in clusterlabs.org site, to my knowledge the recent version available for pacemaker is 1.1.7
>
> http://theclusterguy.clusterlabs.org/
>
> http://www.clusterlabs.org/wiki/Get_Pacemaker
>
> And based the corosync.org site, the latest version is 2.0.0
>
> http://www.corosync.org/doku.php?id=releases
>
> If there are more recent and stable versions available that you can suggest, please let me know.
>
> If I have updates for RHEL 5.7, will I be able to build it myself?

No. You'll need to at least update glib as well before you build.
But since you appear to have a RHEL license, why not update to RHEL6
and use the versions of pacemaker/corosync that come with it?