Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Pacemaker

Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters)

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

andrew at beekhof

Feb 23, 2012, 5:53 PM

Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters)

We're about to lock in the syntax for cluster tickets (used for
multi-ste clusters).

The syntax rules are at:
https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/9e492f6231df2d8dd548f111a2490f02822b29ea

And its use, along with some examples, can be found here:
https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/5f75da8d99171cc100e87935c8c3fd2f83243f93

If there are any comments/concerns, now is the time to raise them.

-- Andrew

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

florian at hastexo

Feb 24, 2012, 12:00 AM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

On 02/24/12 02:53, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> We're about to lock in the syntax for cluster tickets (used for
> multi-ste clusters).
>
> The syntax rules are at:
> https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/9e492f6231df2d8dd548f111a2490f02822b29ea
>
> And its use, along with some examples, can be found here:
> https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/5f75da8d99171cc100e87935c8c3fd2f83243f93
>
> If there are any comments/concerns, now is the time to raise them.

For naming, I must confess I find it a bit strange that while all other
constraint types use ordinary English names ("order", "location",
"colocation"), this one uses a rather strange looking abbreviation.
However, I'll also concede that the only alternative that currently
comes to my mind would be to rename the constraint type to "ticket", but
that obviously creates ambiguity between ticket the constraint and
ticket the thing that booth manages, so it would probably be worse.
Perhaps others have a better idea.

About the documentation, I generally find it very useful; I only have
one addition for a suggestion: it's not immediately clear from the
existing docs that multiple resources can depend on the same ticket. It
does mention resource sets (which, still, could use an additional
sentence la "thus, multiple resources can depend on the same ticket"
as a courtesy to the novice reader), but it doesn't say whether it's OK
to have multiple constraints referring to the same ticket.

If I can spare the time some time in the next few weeks I might also
prepare a "die, passive voice, die" patch for that documentation page,
but that's just a pet peeve of mine. :)

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

ygao at suse

Feb 24, 2012, 1:38 AM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

Hi Florian,

On 02/24/12 16:00, Florian Haas wrote:
> On 02/24/12 02:53, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> We're about to lock in the syntax for cluster tickets (used for
>> multi-ste clusters).
>>
>> The syntax rules are at:
>> https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/9e492f6231df2d8dd548f111a2490f02822b29ea
>>
>> And its use, along with some examples, can be found here:
>> https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/5f75da8d99171cc100e87935c8c3fd2f83243f93
>>
>> If there are any comments/concerns, now is the time to raise them.
>
> For naming, I must confess I find it a bit strange that while all other
> constraint types use ordinary English names ("order", "location",
> "colocation"), this one uses a rather strange looking abbreviation.
> However, I'll also concede that the only alternative that currently
> comes to my mind would be to rename the constraint type to "ticket", but
> that obviously creates ambiguity between ticket the constraint and
> ticket the thing that booth manages, so it would probably be worse.
I used to adopt this on developing. Indeed, that would be confusing.

> Perhaps others have a better idea.
Another one I used to adopt is "ticket_dep" which is somewhat awkward
too. Finally "rsc_ticket" was chosen because it has "rsc_" prefix which
looks consistent.

> About the documentation, I generally find it very useful; I only have
> one addition for a suggestion: it's not immediately clear from the
> existing docs that multiple resources can depend on the same ticket. It
> does mention resource sets (which, still, could use an additional
> sentence la "thus, multiple resources can depend on the same ticket"
> as a courtesy to the novice reader), but it doesn't say whether it's OK
> to have multiple constraints referring to the same ticket.
Thanks for pointing it out! Added the description:
https://github.com/gao-yan/pacemaker/commit/25dc030872a101b0592646d1a57860494753760a

> If I can spare the time some time in the next few weeks I might also
> prepare a "die, passive voice, die" patch for that documentation page,
> but that's just a pet peeve of mine. :)
Any revise of the docs is welcome, as long as that improves the reading
experience. :)

Regards,
Gao,Yan
--
Gao,Yan <ygao [at] suse>
Software Engineer

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

andrew at beekhof

Feb 26, 2012, 9:15 PM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

Excellent, now that we have Florian's blessing I can merge this today.

Feb 26, 2012, 11:16 PM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

On 02/27/12 06:15, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> Excellent, now that we have Florian's blessing I can merge this today.

You seem to operate on a very interesting definition of "blessing."

Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

andrew at beekhof

Feb 27, 2012, 2:31 AM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Florian Haas <florian [at] hastexo> wrote:
> On 02/27/12 06:15, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> Excellent, now that we have Florian's blessing I can merge this today.
>
> You seem to operate on a very interesting definition of "blessing."

"I can't think of a better idea, maybe someone else can" isn't enough
to hold it up at this point.

> Florian
>
> --
> Need help with High Availability?
> http://www.hastexo.com/now

> Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

florian at hastexo

Feb 27, 2012, 2:42 AM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

On 02/27/12 11:31, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Florian Haas <florian [at] hastexo> wrote:
>> On 02/27/12 06:15, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>>> Excellent, now that we have Florian's blessing I can merge this today.
>>
>> You seem to operate on a very interesting definition of "blessing."
>
> "I can't think of a better idea, maybe someone else can" isn't enough
> to hold it up at this point.

I'm not arguing with that; it's just not a blessing and I don't think
that I'm required nor entitled to issuing one.

However, just like resource templates, this is another example where it
wouldn't have hurt anyone if this had been discussed on a _public_
mailing list while it was in the making. Just sayin'.

Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

andrew at beekhof

Feb 27, 2012, 3:04 AM

Re: Last chance to object to the syntax for cluster tickets (multi-site clusters) [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Florian Haas <florian [at] hastexo> wrote:
> On 02/27/12 11:31, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>>>
>>> You seem to operate on a very interesting definition of "blessing."
>>
>> "I can't think of a better idea, maybe someone else can" isn't enough
>> to hold it up at this point.
>
> I'm not arguing with that; it's just not a blessing and I don't think
> that I'm required nor entitled to issuing one.
>
> However, just like resource templates, this is another example where it
> wouldn't have hurt anyone if this had been discussed on a _public_
> mailing list while it was in the making. Just sayin'.

And I'm just sayin' that its been in the "staging" schema for 7 months
to allow time for discussion.
There appears to have been sufficient discussion that people are
actively using it, and I believe SUSE has had it documented for some
time now.
So the information has been there.