Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Pacemaker

pacemaker - corosync with not automatic failover

Linux-HA pacemaker RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

dimstamat at gmail

Feb 6, 2012, 7:26 AM

pacemaker - corosync with not automatic failover

Hello,
regarding my previous issue with pacemaker and heartbeat there was a
problem with the version that apt-get used to retrieve. I now use
pacemaker with corosync and it works fine.

In our setup we need to have the ability to decide which node shall get
the failover IP resource and force them to do so.
In the default corosync-heartbeat configuration the cluster nodes decide
which one shall get the failover IP resource. I want a way to stop the
nodes from auto-assigning the failover IP resource after a node failure.
I tried with monitoring disabled, but nothing happened. If I kill the
node that owns the failover IP resource, then they elect another node as
the new failover IP owner.
I want to stop that, and be able to assign the failover IP to a specific
node via the "crm resource migrate failover-IP node_x" command whenever
I want, and corosync not to assign by itself!

Is there a way to do that?

Many thanks,
Dimos.

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

tserong at suse

Feb 6, 2012, 9:15 PM

Re: pacemaker - corosync with not automatic failover [In reply to]

On 02/07/2012 02:26 AM, Dimokritos Stamatakis wrote:
> Hello,
> regarding my previous issue with pacemaker and heartbeat there was a
> problem with the version that apt-get used to retrieve. I now use
> pacemaker with corosync and it works fine.
>
> In our setup we need to have the ability to decide which node shall get
> the failover IP resource and force them to do so.
> In the default corosync-heartbeat configuration the cluster nodes decide
> which one shall get the failover IP resource. I want a way to stop the
> nodes from auto-assigning the failover IP resource after a node failure.
> I tried with monitoring disabled, but nothing happened. If I kill the
> node that owns the failover IP resource, then they elect another node as
> the new failover IP owner.
> I want to stop that, and be able to assign the failover IP to a specific
> node via the "crm resource migrate failover-IP node_x" command whenever
> I want, and corosync not to assign by itself!
>
> Is there a way to do that?

Well... If you run "crm resource migrate failover-IP node_x" as
mentioned above, failover-IP will stay on node_x forever, until you
migrate it somewhere else (or unmigrate it, in which case it'll have the
default behaviour of running "on some node") :)

But you probably want to look at setting up some non-infinity location
constraints, e.g.:

location ip-prefer-node_0 failover-IP 100: node_0
location ip-maybe-node_1 failover-IP 50: node_1

failover-IP would be placed with preference on node_0 (score 100), or
node_1 (score 50), or some other node if neither node_0 nor node_1 are
available (and assuming you have more than two nodes).

HTH,

Tim
--
Tim Serong