Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Dev

STONITH agent for SoftLayer API

Linux-HA dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

brad at jones

Jun 7, 2012, 12:30 AM

STONITH agent for SoftLayer API

At the suggestion of danfrincu on IRC, I'm posting a link to a STONITH
plugin to aid in using the SoftLayer Technologies API to initiate a
power strip restart (and IPMI "on" and "off" events) on servers and
cloud computing instances.

My initial testing indicates this works as designed, but I'd
appreciate input from others who have servers or VM's at SoftLayer.

Repository: https://github.com/bradjones1/stonith-softlayer

Cheers - Brad
Denver, Colorado
--
Brad Jones
Brad [at] Jones

brad at jones

Jun 7, 2012, 2:50 PM

Re: STONITH agent for SoftLayer API [In reply to]

Can someone help me understand the correct spec to build a STONITH
plugin against? Through a bunch of trial and error today, I've
discovered that there may be a few different methods of passing
configuration options to a plugin, or perhaps this differs
significantly across distributions and I'm not getting the nuiance.

The plugin in question is at
https://github.com/bradjones1/stonith-softlayer/blob/master/softlayer.php
- you'll notice I now have options to pull from STDIN, command-line
and environment variables (in a global, since this is php.)

I originally built this according to
https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/FenceAgentAPI but this seems to
be very different from the plugins I am finding at
http://hg.linux-ha.org/glue/file/c69dc6ace936/lib/plugins/stonith/external,
for instance.

FWIW I am using cluster-glue 1.0.8.

I'd be happy to help write some documentation once I figure out
exactly why this is/was so confusing. Thanks...
--
Brad Jones
Brad [at] Jones

alanr at unix

Jun 7, 2012, 8:19 PM

Re: STONITH agent for SoftLayer API [In reply to]

Red Hat invented their own API then disabled the working API in their
version of the code. Of course, they don't have as many agents, and
they're not as well tested and the API is a bit odd. But what do I
know, since I invented the Linux-HA API.

On 6/7/2012 3:50 PM, Brad Jones wrote:
> Can someone help me understand the correct spec to build a STONITH
> plugin against? Through a bunch of trial and error today, I've
> discovered that there may be a few different methods of passing
> configuration options to a plugin, or perhaps this differs
> significantly across distributions and I'm not getting the nuiance.
>
> The plugin in question is at
> https://github.com/bradjones1/stonith-softlayer/blob/master/softlayer.php
> - you'll notice I now have options to pull from STDIN, command-line
> and environment variables (in a global, since this is php.)
>
> I originally built this according to
> https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/FenceAgentAPI but this seems to
> be very different from the plugins I am finding at
> http://hg.linux-ha.org/glue/file/c69dc6ace936/lib/plugins/stonith/external,
> for instance.
>
> FWIW I am using cluster-glue 1.0.8.
>
> I'd be happy to help write some documentation once I figure out
> exactly why this is/was so confusing. Thanks...
> --
> Brad Jones
> Brad [at] Jones
> Mobile: 303-219-0795

andrew at beekhof

Jun 11, 2012, 5:14 PM

Re: STONITH agent for SoftLayer API [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Alan Robertson <alanr [at] unix> wrote:
> Red Hat invented their own API then disabled the working API in their
> version of the code. Of course, they don't have as many agents, and
> they're not as well tested

Red Hat has had their own API for a very long time.
Certainly long before Pacemaker was added to RHEL (the LHA agents
never appeared there, so your timeline is way off).
By my count there are at least 45 agents (more than double the number
of non-external agents shipping in cluster-glue) and since RH doesn't
ship things they don't test "not as well tested" is doubtful at best.

andrew at beekhof

Jun 11, 2012, 5:17 PM

Re: STONITH agent for SoftLayer API [In reply to]

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM, Brad Jones <brad [at] jones> wrote:
> Can someone help me understand the correct spec to build a STONITH
> plugin against?  Through a bunch of trial and error today, I've
> discovered that there may be a few different methods of passing
> configuration options to a plugin, or perhaps this differs
> significantly across distributions and I'm not getting the nuiance.
>
> The plugin in question is at
> https://github.com/bradjones1/stonith-softlayer/blob/master/softlayer.php
> - you'll notice I now have options to pull from STDIN, command-line
> and environment variables (in a global, since this is php.)
>
> I originally built this according to
> https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/FenceAgentAPI but this seems to
> be very different from the plugins I am finding at
> http://hg.linux-ha.org/glue/file/c69dc6ace936/lib/plugins/stonith/external,
> for instance.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=fence-agents.git corresponds to the
API detailed on the FenceAgentAPI page.