Mailing List Archive: Linux-HA: Dev
Re: pgsql and streaming replcation

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

matsuo.tak at gmail

Dec 5, 2011, 8:15 PM

Re: pgsql and streaming replcation [In reply to]

Hello Serge

Serge Dubrouski <sergeyfd [at] gmail>:
> Hello -
>
> Takatoshi MATSUO did a tremendous job on implementing support for streaming
> replication feature in pgsql RA. Also it looks like PostgeSQL 9.1 has all
> necessary interfaces to successfully implement Pacemaker's M/S concept. So
> I think it's time to start discussion on how to merge Takatoshi's work into
> pgsql RA baseline. Here is the link to Takatoshi's GitHUB if somebody wants
> to test his RA:
>
> https://github.com/t-matsuo/
>
> So far I tested it for backward compatibility in a standard non-replication
> mode and also tested M/S model and found no real issues. Though it
> definitely requires some more polishing and testing.
>
> Takatoshi, here are some changes that I want to discuss with you:
>
> 1. Is it possible to add a check for PostgreSQL version and fail with
> OCF_ERR_INSTALLED when one tries to start replication on version less than
> 9.1? A simple cat on PG_VERSION with some analysis would probably do.

I'll add a check.

> 2. I think that following lines should be moved from pgsql_start to
> pgsql_validate_all
>
> 535 # Check whether tmpdir is readable by pgdba user
> 536 if ! runasowner "test -r $OCF_RESKEY_tmpdir"; then
> 537 ocf_log err "Directory $OCF_RESKEY_tmpdir is not readable by
> $OCF_RESKEY_pgdba"
> 538 return $OCF_ERR_PERM
> 539 fi

Thanks. I think so too.
I'll fix it.

> 3. I don't really like this part of pgsql_real_monitor:
>
> 775 if ! is_replication; then
> 776 OCF_RESKEY_monitor_sql=`escape_string > "$OCF_RESKEY_monitor_sql"`
> 777 runasowner -q $loglevel "$OCF_RESKEY_psql $psql_options -c > '$OCF_RESKEY_monitor_sql'"
> 778 rc=$?
> 779 else
> 780 output=`su $OCF_RESKEY_pgdba -c "cd $OCF_RESKEY_pgdata; > $OCF_RESKEY_psql $psql_options -Atc \"${CHECK_MS_SQL}\""`
> 781 rc=$?
> 782 fi
>
> I think that functional monitor (the one that uses monitor_sql) should run
> always independently of DB mode since its primary role is to check data and
> fail if it's not correct or corrupted. In replication mode there should be
> additional monitoring. Other way it misleads customer on a usage of
> monitor_sql.

All right.

Does it need to execute "select now();" if monitor_sql parameter is empty?
I think it's unnecessary.

> 4. You already populate several attributes with crm_attribute. Does it make
> sense to populate a name of a Master node in promote function and use it
> later on instead of running crm_mon on each monitor command?

Do you mean that you don't want to use crm_mon in monitor?

> 5. It also requires some changes in terms of a proper English but we can go
> through it later.

I hope your help.

> And yet again thanks for a brilliant work.

Thank you for the compliment.

> Florian, Dejan how would you like to merge a patch when we are ready? The
> patch will be rather big one and AFAIK you have some policy on the amount of
> changes for one patch.
>

> --
> Serge Dubrouski.

Takatoshi MATSUO