Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Linux: Kernel

MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface

 

 

Linux kernel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


dgriffi at cs

Aug 10, 2007, 2:42 AM

Post #1 of 10 (2127 views)
Permalink
MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface

Does anyone here have or can borrow a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface?
I'm having a nasty time trying to nail down what's going wrong. It seems
that for kernels 2.6.17 and earlier, MIDI works fine through this
interface. After that, it doesn't. Most bizarrely the Dynebolic distro,
which is designed specifically for music, doesn't work with this
interface. This leads me to believe that something changed with 2.6.18
that the MOTU Fastlane didn't like, but doesn't bother other USB MIDI
interfaces.

Here are some notes from my bugtracking:

Doesn't Work:
===============
Dynebolic (kernel 2.6.18, ALSA 1.0.12rc1)
Ubuntu 7.04 (feisty faun) kernel 2.6.20-16
Fedora 7 (kernel 2.6.21)

Works:
======
Gentoo 2006.1 i686 Live CD (kernel 2.6.17)
If the interface is attached at bootup, one gets "cannot determine
device number: Inappropriate ioctl for device". After unplugging, then
replugging a couple times, midi works ok.
Ubuntu 6.10 (edgy eft) (kernel 2.6.17, ALSA 10.12rc1)
Knoppix 4.0


--
David Griffith
dgriffi [at] cs
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


clemens at ladisch

Aug 16, 2007, 12:37 AM

Post #2 of 10 (2063 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

David Griffith wrote:
> Does anyone here have or can borrow a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface?
> I'm having a nasty time trying to nail down what's going wrong. It seems
> that for kernels 2.6.17 and earlier, MIDI works fine through this
> interface. After that, it doesn't.

What do you mean with "doesn't work"? Does the kernel detect it?
Does it appear
in /proc/asound/cards? What happens if you try to use it?


Regards,
Clemens

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


dgriffi at cs

Aug 16, 2007, 3:16 AM

Post #3 of 10 (2070 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > Does anyone here have or can borrow a MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI
> > interface? I'm having a nasty time trying to nail down what's going
> > wrong. It seems that for kernels 2.6.17 and earlier, MIDI works fine
> > through this interface. After that, it doesn't.
>
> What do you mean with "doesn't work"? Does the kernel detect it? Does
> it appear in /proc/asound/cards? What happens if you try to use it?

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [AudioPCI ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xec00, irq 18
1 [Fastlane ]: USB-Audio - Fastlane
MOTU Fastlane at usb-0000:00:10.2-1, full speed

$ amidi -l
IO hw:0,0 ES1371
IO hw:1,0,0 Fastlane MIDI A
IO hw:1,0,1 Fastlane MIDI B

$ amidi -d -p hw:1,0,0

At this point I should see two-digit hex numbers in groups of five or six
whenever a key or other control on the midi keyboard is operated.
Nothing happens though. Oddly enough, nothing happens when I try midi
through the soundcard as well. Checking further, I've never been able to
get midi to work with kernels 2.6.18 and later.


--
David Griffith
dgriffi [at] cs

A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


clemens at ladisch

Aug 16, 2007, 8:45 AM

Post #4 of 10 (2060 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

David Griffith wrote:
> Checking further, I've never been able to
> get midi to work with kernels 2.6.18 and later.

Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
aplaymidi.


Regards,
Clemens

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


dgriffi at cs

Aug 16, 2007, 2:18 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2056 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > Checking further, I've never been able to
> > get midi to work with kernels 2.6.18 and later.
>
> Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
> aplaymidi.

$ aplaymidi -p "virtual" castle2.mid
Invalid port virtual - No such file or directory

amidi reports nothing.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi [at] cs
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


clemens at ladisch

Aug 16, 2007, 11:17 PM

Post #6 of 10 (2046 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

David Griffith wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
> > aplaymidi.
>
> $ aplaymidi -p "virtual" castle2.mid
> Invalid port virtual - No such file or directory

Sorry, the name of the correspondig sequencer port is different,
probably "128:0"; see the output of "aplaymidi -l".


Regards,
Clemens
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


dgriffi at cs

Aug 19, 2007, 5:23 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2043 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
> > > aplaymidi.
> >
> > $ aplaymidi -p "virtual" castle2.mid
> > Invalid port virtual - No such file or directory
>
> Sorry, the name of the correspondig sequencer port is different,
> probably "128:0"; see the output of "aplaymidi -l".

$ aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
16:0 Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
20:0 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI A
20:1 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI B

$ aplaymidi -p 20:0 casablan.mid

Nothing is written to the Fastlane. No lights. Nothing.

--
David Griffith
dgriffi [at] cs
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


clemens at ladisch

Aug 19, 2007, 11:37 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2041 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

David Griffith wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > David Griffith wrote:
> > > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > > Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
> > > > aplaymidi.
> > >
> > > $ aplaymidi -p "virtual" castle2.mid
> > > Invalid port virtual - No such file or directory
> >
> > Sorry, the name of the correspondig sequencer port is different,
> > probably "128:0"; see the output of "aplaymidi -l".
>
> $ aplaymidi -l
> Port Client name Port name
> 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
> 16:0 Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
> 20:0 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI A
> 20:1 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI B
>
> $ aplaymidi -p 20:0 casablan.mid
>
> Nothing is written to the Fastlane. No lights. Nothing.

Please run "amidi -d -p virtual" and then play to the virtual port
created by amidi, to see if MIDI playback works even without hardware.


Regards,
Clemens
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


dgriffi at cs

Aug 20, 2007, 12:45 AM

Post #9 of 10 (2042 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> David Griffith wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > David Griffith wrote:
> > > > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > > > > Please try "amidi -d -p virtual" and playing a .mid file to this port with
> > > > > aplaymidi.
> > > >
> > > > $ aplaymidi -p "virtual" castle2.mid
> > > > Invalid port virtual - No such file or directory
> > >
> > > Sorry, the name of the correspondig sequencer port is different,
> > > probably "128:0"; see the output of "aplaymidi -l".
> >
> > $ aplaymidi -l
> > Port Client name Port name
> > 14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
> > 16:0 Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
> > 20:0 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI A
> > 20:1 Fastlane Fastlane MIDI B
> >
> > $ aplaymidi -p 20:0 casablan.mid
> >
> > Nothing is written to the Fastlane. No lights. Nothing.
>
> Please run "amidi -d -p virtual" and then play to the virtual port
> created by amidi, to see if MIDI playback works even without hardware.

$ amidi -d -p virtual

$ aplaymidi -l
Port Client name Port name
14:0 Midi Through Midi Through Port-0
16:0 Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1371
128:0 Client-128 Virtual RawMIDI

$ aplaymidi -p 128:0 casablan.mid

At this point, MIDI data flew by in the xterm in which amidi was running.


--
David Griffith
dgriffi [at] cs
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/


clemens at ladisch

Aug 24, 2007, 8:02 AM

Post #10 of 10 (2039 views)
Permalink
Re: MOTU Fastlane USB MIDI interface [In reply to]

David Griffith wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> David Griffith wrote:
>> > $ aplaymidi -p 20:0 casablan.mid
>> >
>> > Nothing is written to the Fastlane. No lights. Nothing.
>>
>> Please run "amidi -d -p virtual" and then play to the virtual port
>> created by amidi, to see if MIDI playback works even without hardware.
>
> $ aplaymidi -p 128:0 casablan.mid
>
> At this point, MIDI data flew by in the xterm in which amidi was running.

Hmmm, it's either the driver or device.

Please uncomment the "#define DUMP_PACKETS" in line 58 of sound/usb/usbmidi.c
and recompile the driver. All MIDI data should then be visible in the system
log.


Regards,
Clemens

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Linux kernel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.