Mailing List Archive: Linux: Kernel

linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)

Linux kernel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

sfr at canb

linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related)

Hi Grant,

After merging the final tree, yesterday's linux-next build (powerpc
mpc85xx_defconfig) failed like this:

http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/2615202/

I suspect that is something to do with the devicetree tree.

Stephen Rothwell sfr [at] canb
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

grant.likely at secretlab

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> After merging the final tree, yesterday's linux-next build (powerpc
> mpc85xx_defconfig) failed like this:
>
> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/2615202/
>
> I suspect that is something to do with the devicetree tree.

Ah, yes. I'll push out fixes for those this morning.

g.
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger

grant.likely at secretlab

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 5:52 AM, Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:
> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
>> Hi Grant,
>>
>> After merging the final tree, yesterday's linux-next build (powerpc
>> mpc85xx_defconfig) failed like this:
>>
>> http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/2615202/
>>
>> I suspect that is something to do with the devicetree tree.
>
> Ah, yes. †I'll push out fixes for those this morning.

Fixed tree pushed out.

g.
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger

sfr at canb

Aug 3, 2011, 11:36 PM

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

Hi All,

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:28:58 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:

> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/built-in.o: In function `of_alias_scan':
> (.init.text+0x6074): undefined reference to `early_init_dt_alloc_memory_arch'
>
> Caused by commit 750f463a749e ("dt: add of_alias_scan and of_alias_get_id").
>
> I have reverted that patch for today.

And that commit has now gone into Linus' tree :-(
Stephen Rothwell sfr [at] canb
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

grant.likely at secretlab

Aug 3, 2011, 11:59 PM

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 14:28:58 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
>>
>> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
>> failed like this:
>>
>> drivers/built-in.o: In function `of_alias_scan':
>> (.init.text+0x6074): undefined reference to `early_init_dt_alloc_memory_arch'
>>
>> Caused by commit 750f463a749e ("dt: add of_alias_scan and of_alias_get_id").
>>
>> I have reverted that patch for today.
>
> And that commit has now gone into Linus' tree :-(

Pull my tree now; there is a fix in there. I'm just emailing it now.

g.
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger

davem at davemloft

Aug 4, 2011, 12:13 AM

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

From: Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 07:59:56 +0100

> Pull my tree now; there is a fix in there. I'm just emailing it now.

Ugh, Grant :-/

So now you have APIs for finding information in the in-kernel copy
of the device tree which are only available for flat DT platforms?

Don't do that, please.

It makes more sense instead to have this alias munger unconditionally
work on the in-kernel copy after the device tree has been imported,
and for all ways in which the tree can be imported.

Anything else leads to fragmented interfaces for device driver
writers.

The bug is that this of_alias_scan() thing doesn't get a pointer to an
allocator function. It needs one just like the
__unflatten_device_tree() function does.

In fact this points out that of_alias_scan() was only placed into one
of the two FT unflattening sites, it needs to go into both as well as
places that build the device tree from real OpenFirmware calls. And
that makes an even stronger argument for adding an allocator function
pointer arg to this thing.

I think this change was stillborn when you committed it and you should
have reviewed it more thoroughly and pushed back.

the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger

davem at davemloft

Aug 4, 2011, 1:17 AM

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

From: David Miller <davem [at] davemloft>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 00:13:14 -0700 (PDT)

> I think this change was stillborn when you committed it and you should
> have reviewed it more thoroughly and pushed back.

I also took a look at the one driver that's using this new interface,
and I have more disagreements.

The alias lookup unconditionally creates new aliases for the given
node and passes back an integer ID.

So even though it is implicitly creating properties, it doesn't update
the in-kernel device tree nor does it update the OpenFirmware
etc. copy.

This behvaior is undesirable and makes no sense. This IMX serial
driver merely wants increasing incrementing indexes for the serial
nodes it finds, and there are much better ways to do that.

It also wants to see if device tree aliases have explicit port
settings, and that's fine. The new alias code can help it do this,
but it doesn't need to create new fake aliases in order to accomplish
that task.

This stuff needs more work, I would like to suggest that you just
revert at this point.
the body of a message to majordomo [at] vger

grant.likely at secretlab

Aug 4, 2011, 2:41 AM

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM, David Miller <davem [at] davemloft> wrote:
> In fact this points out that of_alias_scan() was only placed into one
> of the two FT unflattening sites, it needs to go into both as well as
> places that build the device tree from real OpenFirmware calls. †And
> that makes an even stronger argument for adding an allocator function
> pointer arg to this thing.

No argument from me here. However, I completely broke sparc by
applying it so I needed to post an ASAP fix with the least possible
impact. A followup patch for v3.2 would have be written to generalize
alias parsing for v3.2

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM, David Miller <davem [at] davemloft> wrote:
[...]
> So even though it is implicitly creating properties, it doesn't update
> the in-kernel device tree nor does it update the OpenFirmware
> etc. copy.
>
> This behvaior is undesirable and makes no sense. This IMX serial
> driver merely wants increasing incrementing indexes for the serial
> nodes it finds, and there are much better ways to do that.

Rolling the assigned ids into the alias list was a convenient & cheap
way of making sure the id assigned would be unique, but fair enough.
Shawn and I will talk about implementing a better solution.

[...]
> This stuff needs more work, I would like to suggest that you just
> revert at this point.

Very well, I'll prepare a revert branch and ask Linus to pull.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000

> Hi all,
>
> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>
> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> for non-dt builds"). SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...

If I had a nickel for every time an implicit dependency on CONFIG_OF_IRQ
was added to the tree... :-)

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:

> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> failed like this:
>
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>
> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> for non-dt builds"). SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
>
> I have reverted that commit for today.

That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
>>
>> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
>> failed like this:
>>
>> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
>> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
>>
>> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
>> for non-dt builds"). †SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
>>
>> I have reverted that commit for today.
>
> That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.

Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit. There's nothing else in
there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
linux-next for the day. The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
fixup for tomorrow.

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:

> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit. There's nothing else in
> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
> linux-next for the day. The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
> fixup for tomorrow.

Done (I used the tree from next-20120410 - which was empty).

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

Hi Grant,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> > Hi Grant,
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:11:55 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> >>
> >> After merging the final tree, today's linux-next build (sparc64 defconfig)
> >> failed like this:
> >>
> >> drivers/of/of_mdio.c: In function 'of_mdiobus_register':
> >> drivers/of/of_mdio.c:75:4: error: implicit declaration of function 'irq_of_parse_and_map' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
> >>
> >> Caused by commit e46c11b94787 ("of/irq: add empty irq_of_parse_and_map()
> >> for non-dt builds").  SPARC has CONFIG_OF but not CONFIG_OF_IRQ ...
> >>
> >> I have reverted that commit for today.
> >
> > That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.
>
> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit. There's nothing else in
> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
> linux-next for the day. The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
> fixup for tomorrow.

Ping?

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:35:34 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
>> > Hi Grant,

>> > That commit is actually in the devicetree-current tree.
>>
>> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit. †There's nothing else in
>> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
>> linux-next for the day. †The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
>> fixup for tomorrow.
>
> Ping?

Haven't got it done yet. It's still safe to ignore that tree.

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM, Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:23 PM, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
>> Hi Grant,

>>> Yes, drop that tree or revert that commit. †There's nothing else in
>>> there and I didn't have time to pull it back today before you started
>>> linux-next for the day. †The change is bogus and I'll spin a proper
>>> fixup for tomorrow.
>>
>> Ping?
>
> Haven't got it done yet. †It's still safe to ignore that tree.

Should be fixed now.

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

Hi Grant,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:16 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:

> Should be fixed now.

Did you forget to push it out?

Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (devicetree tree related) [In reply to]

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:48:19 +1000, Stephen Rothwell <sfr [at] canb> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:16 -0600 Grant Likely <grant.likely [at] secretlab> wrote:
> >
> > Should be fixed now.
>
> Did you forget to push it out?

Apparantly so. Pushed out now.

g.