Mailing List Archive: kinosearch: discuss

Commits mailing list

kinosearch discuss RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

marvin at rectangular

Mar 15, 2007, 9:05 AM

Commits mailing list

Greets,

I've added a new kinosearch-commits mailing list, by popular demand
(: honest! :).

On another note, posters to this list may also notice that
responsiveness has improved. Turns out to have been an MTA issue.
Exim performs IDENT checks by default, and times out after 30
seconds. As the list readership has grown, we've accumulated a few
subscribers whose mail servers respond to IDENT with stony silence
rather than either a meaningful response or a firewall deny. Turning
off IDENT solves the problem.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

perl at aaroncrane

Mar 15, 2007, 9:35 AM

Commits mailing list [In reply to]

Marvin Humphrey writes:
> On another note, posters to this list may also notice that
> responsiveness has improved.

That sounds excellent; thanks.

On a similar topic, I've noticed recently that the list messages I've
been receiving have apparently been sent out with the To: header munged
to contain my subscribed address. Is this deliberate? (And if not, is
it actually a problem at my end?) I'd much prefer the To: and Cc:
headers to be left as the poster sent them.

--
Aaron Crane

marvin at rectangular

Mar 15, 2007, 9:41 AM

Commits mailing list [In reply to]

On Mar 15, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Aaron Crane wrote:

> On a similar topic, I've noticed recently that the list messages I've
> been receiving have apparently been sent out with the To: header
> munged
> to contain my subscribed address. Is this deliberate? (And if
> not, is
> it actually a problem at my end?) I'd much prefer the To: and Cc:
> headers to be left as the poster sent them.

Was this a recent change?

Please tell me if it has changed back as of this message.

While tracking down the IDENT problem, I turned on "full
personalization" as per Mailman debugging instructions. I have now
switched it back off.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/

perl at aaroncrane

Mar 15, 2007, 10:22 AM

Commits mailing list [In reply to]

Marvin Humphrey writes:
> On Mar 15, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Aaron Crane wrote:
> >On a similar topic, I've noticed recently that the list messages I've
> >been receiving have apparently been sent out with the To: header
> >munged to contain my subscribed address.
>
> Was this a recent change?

The first message I noticed it on was sent early in the morning of
2007-03-09 (UTC).

> Please tell me if it has changed back as of this message.

It has -- thanks!

--
Aaron Crane

henka at cityweb

Mar 16, 2007, 5:01 AM

Commits mailing list [In reply to]

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> Exim performs IDENT checks by default, and times out after 30
> seconds. As the list readership has grown, we've accumulated a few
> subscribers whose mail servers respond to IDENT with stony silence
> rather than either a meaningful response or a firewall deny.

The 'net used to be such a nice, friendly place. Once could just drop in
to a friends machine with telnet and say "Hey, Bob, check THIS out..."

strcpy() was your friend in those days.

Now, -P INPUT DROP is your friend.

kinosearch discuss RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded