Mailing List Archive: kinosearch: discuss
Re: Queries with large number of hits.

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

marvin at rectangular

Sep 19, 2008, 7:14 PM

Re: Queries with large number of hits. [In reply to]

On Sep 19, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> You prompted me to run a few quick tests as well:

Great stuff, Nathan.

I'd like to move the design discussion to the Lucy developers list, so
I'm going to direct my main reply there. The ultimate home for the
work that's gone into KinoSearch is probably going to be Apache. I
can put whatever I want into the rectangular.com KinoSearch subversion
repository regardless, but stuff that goes into Lucy has to have been
discussed in Apache channels. So -- there's no drawback for KS if we
have our conversation at Apache, but there's a benefit for Lucy.

What these benchmarks have shown is that the present implementation of
"Flexible Indexing" in KinoSearch just isn't fast enough at search-
time. Change of some kind is required. PForDelta merits serious
consideration, but it's a substantial break from the current design.

Interested parties not already subscribed to lucy-dev can sign up via <http://lucene.apache.org/lucy/mailing_lists.html
>.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research