Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: ivtv: users

PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0

 

 

ivtv users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


skimo at kotnet

Oct 22, 2011, 4:37 AM

Post #1 of 7 (834 views)
Permalink
PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0

Hi,

Since I upgraded to Ubunutu 11.10, ivtv-radio stopped working.
In particular, it now produces high-pitched noise.
The kernel version is 3.0.0-13-generic #21-Ubuntu.
If I boot an older kernel (2.6.38-12-generic #51-Ubuntu),
ivtv-radio does work.

TV capture works for both kernels.

lspci output for my card:

07:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (32000ns min, 2000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Kernel driver in use: ivtv
Kernel modules: ivtv

part of dmesg on working kernel (2.6.38-12-generic #51-Ubuntu):
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.2
ivtv0: Initializing card 0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23415 based)
ivtv 0000:07:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
tveeprom 1-0050: Hauppauge model 48139, rev K2B7, serial# 9978283
tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is Philips FM1216ME MK5 (idx 117, type 38)
tveeprom 1-0050: TV standards PAL(B/G) PAL(I) SECAM(L/L') PAL(D/D1/K) (eeprom 0x74)
tveeprom 1-0050: audio processor is MSP4418 (idx 25)
tveeprom 1-0050: decoder processor is SAA7115 (idx 19)
tveeprom 1-0050: has radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
saa7115 1-0021: saa7115 found (1f7115d0e100000) @ 0x42 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
saa7127 1-0044: saa7129 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy resume method
msp3400 1-0040: MSP4418G-B3 found @ 0x80 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
msp3400 1-0040: msp3400 supports nicam and radio, mode is autodetect and autoselect
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy resume method
tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tda9887 1-0043: creating new instance
tda9887 1-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner-simple 1-0061: creating new instance
tuner-simple 1-0061: type set to 38 (Philips PAL/SECAM multi (FM1216ME MK3))
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi8 for decoder VBI (64 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi16 for decoder VOUT
ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
ivtv: End initialization
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-dec.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
ivtv0: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg firmware (155648 bytes)

part of dmesg on not working kernel (3.0.0-13-generic #21-Ubuntu):
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.2
ivtv0: Initializing card 0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23415 based)
ivtv 0000:07:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
tveeprom 0-0050: Hauppauge model 48139, rev K2B7, serial# 9978283
tveeprom 0-0050: tuner model is Philips FM1216ME MK5 (idx 117, type 38)
tveeprom 0-0050: TV standards PAL(B/G) PAL(I) SECAM(L/L') PAL(D/D1/K) (eeprom 0x74)
tveeprom 0-0050: audio processor is MSP4418 (idx 25)
tveeprom 0-0050: decoder processor is SAA7115 (idx 19)
tveeprom 0-0050: has radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
saa7115 0-0021: saa7115 found (1f7115d0e100000) @ 0x42 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
saa7127 0-0044: saa7129 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy resume method
msp3400 0-0040: MSP4418G-B3 found @ 0x80 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
msp3400 0-0040: msp3400 supports nicam and radio, mode is autodetect and autoselect
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy resume method
tda9887 0-0043: creating new instance
tda9887 0-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found
tuner 0-0043: Tuner 74 found with type(s) Radio TV.
tuner 0-0061: Tuner -1 found with type(s) Radio TV.
tuner-simple 0-0061: creating new instance
tuner-simple 0-0061: type set to 38 (Philips PAL/SECAM multi (FM1216ME MK3))
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi8 for decoder VBI (64 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi16 for decoder VOUT
ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
ivtv: End initialization
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-dec.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
ivtv0: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg firmware (155648 bytes)

Any ideas how to solve this problem (except for simply booting
the old kernel)?

Thanks,

skimo

_______________________________________________
ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


awalls at md

Oct 22, 2011, 6:55 AM

Post #2 of 7 (743 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

It is either a problem with the analog tuner driver or the driver for the MSP chip. Either way there is not much you can do to fix it without someone fixing the broken driver.

Please provide the output of
v4l2-ctl -d /dev/videoN --log-status
when using ivtv-radio to tune to FM radio

That might help narrow down the problem driver.

R,
Andy
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Sven Verdoolaege <skimo [at] kotnet> wrote:

Hi,

Since I upgraded to Ubunutu 11.10, ivtv-radio stopped working.
In particular, it now produces high-pitched noise.
The kernel version is 3.0.0-13-generic #21-Ubuntu.
If I boot an older kernel (2.6.38-12-generic #51-Ubuntu),
ivtv-radio does work.

TV capture works for both kernels.

lspci output for my card:

07:02.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (32000ns min, 2000ns max), Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
Status: D0 NoSoftRst- PME-Enable- DSel=0 DScale=0 PME-
Kernel driver in use: ivtv
Kernel modules: ivtv

part of dmesg on working kernel (2.6.38-12-generic #51-Ubuntu):
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.2
ivtv0: Initializing card 0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23415 based)
ivtv 0000:07:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
tveeprom 1-0050: Hauppauge model 48139, rev K2B7, serial# 9978283
tveeprom 1-0050: tuner model is Philips FM1216ME MK5 (idx 117, type 38)
tveeprom 1-0050: TV standards PAL(B/G) PAL(I) SECAM(L/L') PAL(D/D1/K) (eeprom 0x74)
tveeprom 1-0050: audio processor is MSP4418 (idx 25)
tveeprom 1-0050: decoder processor is SAA7115 (idx 19)
tveeprom 1-0050: has radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
saa7115 1-0021: saa7115 found (1f7115d0e100000) @ 0x42 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
saa7127 1-0044: saa7129 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy resume method
msp3400 1-0040: MSP4418G-B3 found @ 0x80 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
msp3400 1-0040: msp3400 supports nicam and radio, mode is autodetect and autoselect
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy resume method
tuner 1-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tda9887 1-0043: creating new instance
tda9887 1-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found
tuner 1-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
tuner-simple 1-0061: creating new instance
tuner-simple 1-0061: type set to 38 (Philips PAL/SECAM multi (FM1216ME MK3))
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi8 for decoder VBI (64 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi16 for decoder VOUT
ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
ivtv: End initialization
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-dec.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
ivtv0: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg firmware (155648 bytes)

part of dmesg on not working kernel (3.0.0-13-generic #21-Ubuntu):
ivtv: Start initialization, version 1.4.2
ivtv0: Initializing card 0
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge card (cx23415 based)
ivtv 0000:07:02.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
ivtv0: Unreasonably low latency timer, setting to 64 (was 32)
tveeprom 0-0050: Hauppauge model 48139, rev K2B7, serial# 9978283
tveeprom 0-0050: tuner model is Philips FM1216ME MK5 (idx 117, type 38)
tveeprom 0-0050: TV standards PAL(B/G) PAL(I) SECAM(L/L') PAL(D/D1/K) (eeprom 0x74)
tveeprom 0-0050: audio processor is MSP4418 (idx 25)
tveeprom 0-0050: decoder processor is SAA7115 (idx 19)
tveeprom 0-0050: has radio, has IR receiver, has no IR transmitter
ivtv0: Autodetected Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
saa7115 0-0021: saa7115 found (1f7115d0e100000) @ 0x42 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
saa7127 0-0044: saa7129 found @ 0x88 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [msp3400] using legacy resume method
msp3400 0-0040: MSP4418G-B3 found @ 0x80 (ivtv i2c driver #0)
msp3400 0-0040: msp3400 supports nicam and radio, mode is autodetect and autoselect
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy suspend method
i2c-core: driver [tuner] using legacy resume method
tda9887 0-0043: creating new instance
tda9887 0-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found
tuner 0-0043: Tuner 74 found with type(s) Radio TV.
tuner 0-0061: Tuner -1 found with type(s) Radio TV.
tuner-simple 0-0061: creating new instance
tuner-simple 0-0061: type set to 38 (Philips PAL/SECAM multi (FM1216ME MK3))
ivtv0: Registered device video0 for encoder MPG (4096 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video32 for encoder YUV (2048 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi0 for encoder VBI (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device video24 for encoder PCM (320 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device radio0 for encoder radio
ivtv0: Registered device video16 for decoder MPG (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi8 for decoder VBI (64 kB)
ivtv0: Registered device vbi16 for decoder VOUT
ivtv0: Registered device video48 for decoder YUV (1024 kB)
ivtv0: Initialized card: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350
ivtv: End initialization
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-enc.fw firmware (376836 bytes)
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-dec.fw firmware (262144 bytes)
ivtv0: Encoder revision: 0x02060039
ivtv0: Decoder revision: 0x02020023
ivtv0: Loaded v4l-cx2341x-init.mpg firmware (155648 bytes)

Any ideas how to solve this problem (except for simply booting
the old kernel)?

Thanks,

skimo

_____________________________________________

ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


mail01 at iarmst

Oct 22, 2011, 7:41 AM

Post #3 of 7 (735 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

On Saturday 22 October 2011, Andy Walls wrote:
> It is either a problem with the analog tuner driver or the driver for the
> MSP chip. Either way there is not much you can do to fix it without
> someone fixing the broken driver.

It's an ivtv bug which has existed since 2.6.39. Although the ivtv driver
claims to support radio, it fails to enable the radio function of the tuner (a
simple bit-flag error iirc). I'd forgotten about it, but I do have the patch
somewhere.

--
Ian

_______________________________________________
ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


awalls at md

Oct 22, 2011, 7:51 AM

Post #4 of 7 (728 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

Oops. Yes you sent that to me in september IIRC. Ill repost it when I get back home, if you can't find it.

-Andy

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Ian Armstrong <mail01 [at] iarmst> wrote:

On Saturday 22 October 2011, Andy Walls wrote:
> It is either a problem with the analog tuner driver or the driver for the
> MSP chip. Either way there is not much you can do to fix it without
> someone fixing the broken driver.

It's an ivtv bug which has existed since 2.6.39. Although the ivtv driver
claims to support radio, it fails to enable the radio function of the tuner (a
simple bit-flag error iirc). I'd forgotten about it, but I do have the patch
somewhere.

--
Ian

_____________________________________________

ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


awalls at md

Oct 23, 2011, 4:54 PM

Post #5 of 7 (732 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 15:41 +0100, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> On Saturday 22 October 2011, Andy Walls wrote:

> It's an ivtv bug which has existed since 2.6.39. Although the ivtv driver
> claims to support radio, it fails to enable the radio function of the tuner (a
> simple bit-flag error iirc). I'd forgotten about it, but I do have the patch
> somewhere.

Ian's patch, which he sent me on 12 Aug 2011, is available here:

http://git.linuxtv.org/awalls/media_tree.git/commitdiff/110c7cd65328c6ed336daeffefad57aed3e4f028

I suppose I havent't been a very responsive maintainer lately. :(

Regards,
Andy



_______________________________________________
ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


martin.dauskardt at gmx

Oct 24, 2011, 9:27 AM

Post #6 of 7 (728 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

> On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 15:41 +0100, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> > On Saturday 22 October 2011, Andy Walls wrote:
> >
> > It's an ivtv bug which has existed since 2.6.39. Although the ivtv
> > driver claims to support radio, it fails to enable the radio function
> > of the tuner (a simple bit-flag error iirc). I'd forgotten about it, but
> > I do have the patch somewhere.
>
> Ian's patch, which he sent me on 12 Aug 2011, is available here:
>
> http://git.linuxtv.org/awalls/media_tree.git/commitdiff/110c7cd65328c6ed336
> daeffefad57aed3e4f028
>
> I suppose I havent't been a very responsive maintainer lately. :(
>
> Regards,
> Andy

Does this really mean that radio is broken for all ivtv devices in Kernel
2.6.29(.x) and 3.0(.x) ?
I am wondering why there are no more bug reports.

Any chance to get this patch in Kernel 3.1?

Greets,
Martin

_______________________________________________
ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users


awalls at md

Oct 24, 2011, 2:23 PM

Post #7 of 7 (724 views)
Permalink
Re: PVR-350 radio stopped working in 3.0.0 [In reply to]

On Mon, 2011-10-24 at 18:27 +0200, Martin Dauskardt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 15:41 +0100, Ian Armstrong wrote:
> > > On Saturday 22 October 2011, Andy Walls wrote:
> > >
> > > It's an ivtv bug which has existed since 2.6.39. Although the ivtv
> > > driver claims to support radio, it fails to enable the radio function
> > > of the tuner (a simple bit-flag error iirc). I'd forgotten about it, but
> > > I do have the patch somewhere.
> >
> > Ian's patch, which he sent me on 12 Aug 2011, is available here:
> >
> > http://git.linuxtv.org/awalls/media_tree.git/commitdiff/110c7cd65328c6ed336
> > daeffefad57aed3e4f028
> >
> > I suppose I havent't been a very responsive maintainer lately. :(
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
>
> Does this really mean that radio is broken for all ivtv devices in Kernel
> 2.6.29(.x) and 3.0(.x) ?

Probably. I have not searched for the affected versions. I will guess
that the rework of the tuner and tuner-simple modules, and how those
modules handle the mode_mask, is what introduced the problem.

> I am wondering why there are no more bug reports.

I myself use FM radio alot, but not with the latest kernels.

> Any chance to get this patch in Kernel 3.1?

Mauro has it queued up for the 3.2 merge window:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.linuxtv.scm/11388

I think I missed my last chance for 3.1.
Linus announced 3.1-rc10 (!) on 17 October:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2011/10/18/2

Regards,
Andy

> Greets,
> Martin
>
> _______________________________________________
> ivtv-users mailing list
> ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
> http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users



_______________________________________________
ivtv-users mailing list
ivtv-users [at] ivtvdriver
http://ivtvdriver.org/mailman/listinfo/ivtv-users

ivtv users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.