Mailing List Archive: ivtv: users

Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418

ivtv users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tcolar at colar

Jan 16, 2007, 8:01 PM

Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418

My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today looking
for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
Started in myth it wasn't detected.
Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
"we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you should be
happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since when
do they put something else in the box that is not what the box says.
Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if i return it for
another who know what i will get.
Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?

Thanks.

anaerin at gmail

Jan 16, 2007, 8:34 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On 1/16/07, thibaut colar <tcolar [at] colar> wrote:
> My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today looking
> for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
> Started in myth it wasn't detected.
> Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
> "we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you should be
> happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
> Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since when
> do they put something else in the box that is not what the box says.
> Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if i return it for
> another who know what i will get.
> Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?

>From the looks of things, it may be that the HVR-1600 is supported as
a kind of Generic DIVCO HDTV Fusion in the latest kernel, as that uses
the same encoder chips as the HVR-1600. Give that a try, and see if it
works. And please, report back! :)
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston

dlg at dorkzilla

Jan 16, 2007, 8:53 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 08:01:13PM -0800, thibaut colar wrote:
> My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today looking
> for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
> Started in myth it wasn't detected.
> Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
> "we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you should be
> happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
> Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since when
> do they put something else in the box that is not what the box says.
> Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if i return it for
> another who know what i will get.

Myself, I told amazon.com I bought the PVR-150 but the contents
were an HVR-1600, they are sending me a replacement box. I'll
just have to wait and see if I have the same problem again.
--david

> Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?
>
> Thanks.

tcolar at colar

Jan 16, 2007, 9:04 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

By latest kernel, which one exactly do you refer to
(ie: linux kernel / which ivtv version etc...)
if you can get me those infos i'll give it a shot.
At this time i'm using the latest knopmyth (RE50) , but i could start
from a fresh debian if newer things are needed.

Thanks.

Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 1/16/07, thibaut colar <tcolar [at] colar> wrote:
>
>> My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today looking
>> for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
>> Started in myth it wasn't detected.
>> Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
>> "we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you should be
>> happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
>> Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since when
>> do they put something else in the box that is not what the box says.
>> Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if i return it for
>> another who know what i will get.
>> Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?
>>

> >From the looks of things, it may be that the HVR-1600 is supported as
> a kind of Generic DIVCO HDTV Fusion in the latest kernel, as that uses
> the same encoder chips as the HVR-1600. Give that a try, and see if it
> works. And please, report back! :)

tcolar at colar

Jan 17, 2007, 1:36 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

Thanks for the help, could you help me a bit further though ?

I'm using 2.6.18(3-debian) for the kernel.
I try lspci, it tells me "found unknown connexant device"

Dmesg does not show anything about the card either.

So questions:
1) Maybe i need to recompile my kernel with a particular option enabled,
do you know wich one ?
2) Preferably i just need to insert some module, do you know which
module i'm looking for (name)

I tried messing with some yesterday (ie: cx88-dvdb or something like
that) with no luck.

Thanks for the help.

Robert Johnston wrote:
> On 1/16/07, thibaut colar <tcolar [at] colar> wrote:
>
>> My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today looking
>> for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
>> Started in myth it wasn't detected.
>> Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
>> "we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you should be
>> happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
>> Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since when
>> do they put something else in the box that is not what the box says.
>> Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if i return it for
>> another who know what i will get.
>> Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?
>>

> >From the looks of things, it may be that the HVR-1600 is supported as
> a kind of Generic DIVCO HDTV Fusion in the latest kernel, as that uses
> the same encoder chips as the HVR-1600. Give that a try, and see if it
> works. And please, report back! :)

hverkuil at xs4all

Jan 17, 2007, 3:12 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 22:36, Thibaut Colar wrote:
> Thanks for the help, could you help me a bit further though ?
>
> I'm using 2.6.18(3-debian) for the kernel.
> I try lspci, it tells me "found unknown connexant device"
>
> Dmesg does not show anything about the card either.
>
> So questions:
> 1) Maybe i need to recompile my kernel with a particular option
> enabled, do you know wich one ?
> 2) Preferably i just need to insert some module, do you know which
> module i'm looking for (name)
>
> I tried messing with some yesterday (ie: cx88-dvdb or something like
> that) with no luck.

There's no cx23418 on the DIVCO HDTV Fusion and certainly no support for
the cx23418 anywhere for linux.

BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?

Hans

> Thanks for the help.
>
> Robert Johnston wrote:
> > On 1/16/07, thibaut colar <tcolar [at] colar> wrote:
> >> My 4 years old PVR 250 died recently, so i went to fry's today
> >> looking for a new one, there was no 250's so i got a 150.
> >> Started in myth it wasn't detected.
> >> Then i saw the note in the box basically it said
> >> "we where out of 150's so instead we put a wintv-hvr-1600, you
> >> should be happy since you get an extra over the air HDTV receiver"
> >> Well i'm not happy obviously and this makes me mad actually, since
> >> when do they put something else in the box that is not what the
> >> box says. Worse the box does not say which one you will get, so if
> >> i return it for another who know what i will get.
> >> Anyway any chance to get the HVR-1600 working ?
> >>
> > >From the looks of things, it may be that the HVR-1600 is supported
> > > as
> >
> > a kind of Generic DIVCO HDTV Fusion in the latest kernel, as that
> > uses the same encoder chips as the HVR-1600. Give that a try, and
> > see if it works. And please, report back! :)

tcolar at colar

Jan 17, 2007, 3:16 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

I was planning to return it today, but i'll try to take a snap first then.

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 22:36, Thibaut Colar wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the help, could you help me a bit further though ?
>>
>> I'm using 2.6.18(3-debian) for the kernel.
>> I try lspci, it tells me "found unknown connexant device"
>>
>> Dmesg does not show anything about the card either.
>>
>> So questions:
>> 1) Maybe i need to recompile my kernel with a particular option
>> enabled, do you know wich one ?
>> 2) Preferably i just need to insert some module, do you know which
>> module i'm looking for (name)
>>
>> I tried messing with some yesterday (ie: cx88-dvdb or something like
>> that) with no luck.
>>

> There's no cx23418 on the DIVCO HDTV Fusion and certainly no support for
> the cx23418 anywhere for linux.
>
> BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
> picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?
>
> Hans
>

>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Robert Johnston wrote:

>>> a kind of Generic DIVCO HDTV Fusion in the latest kernel, as that
>>> uses the same encoder chips as the HVR-1600. Give that a try, and
>>> see if it works. And please, report back! :)

dlg at dorkzilla

Jan 17, 2007, 7:26 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
> picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?
>
> Hans

I gave that in a previous email, but here goes again:

the largest chip:

CONEXANT
MPEGII A/V Encoder System
CX23418-22ZZ
0546Y1F6
0547 TAIWAN
ARM

and for good measure:

the smaller chip to the left reads (after rotating the card 90
degrees clockwise)

CONEXANT
CX24227-11Z
NO4T4BF
0639 CH

and the smaller chip to the right (after rotating the card 180
degrees)

ESMT
M13S128324A 5B
AZR1P60XE17 631

and for more good measure, pictures are online at
http://www.dsrw.org/~dlg/hvr1600/

they're a little blurry, but the best i could do with my camera.
--david

tcolar at colar

Jan 17, 2007, 8:32 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures of the card,
box, etc ...

http://www.colar.net/pvr150/

david l goodrich wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>
>> BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
>> picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?
>>
>> Hans
>>

> I gave that in a previous email, but here goes again:
>
> the largest chip:
>
> CONEXANT
> MPEGII A/V Encoder System
> CX23418-22ZZ
> 0546Y1F6
> 0547 TAIWAN
> ARM
>

> and for good measure:
>
> the smaller chip to the left reads (after rotating the card 90
> degrees clockwise)
>
> CONEXANT
> CX24227-11Z
> NO4T4BF
> 0639 CH
>
> and the smaller chip to the right (after rotating the card 180
> degrees)
>
> ESMT
> M13S128324A 5B
> AZR1P60XE17 631
>

> and for more good measure, pictures are online at
> http://www.dsrw.org/~dlg/hvr1600/
>
> they're a little blurry, but the best i could do with my camera.
> --david

dlg at dorkzilla

Jan 17, 2007, 9:04 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 08:32:34PM -0800, thibaut colar wrote:

> Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures of the card,
> box, etc ...

strange, my box didn't have that notice, or the letter inside.

oh, well. amazon is sending me a new one, so this one's getting
shipped back.
--david

> http://www.colar.net/pvr150/
>
> david l goodrich wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >
> >> BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
> >> picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?
> >>
> >> Hans

hverkuil at xs4all

Jan 17, 2007, 10:48 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Thursday 18 January 2007 05:32, thibaut colar wrote:
> Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures of the card,
> box, etc ...
>
> http://www.colar.net/pvr150/

Thanks!

Hans

> david l goodrich wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 12:12:00AM +0100, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >> BTW, can you give a list of the chips on your HVR-1600? Or a good
> >> picture of the card where the printing on the chip is readable?
> >>
> >> Hans
> >
> > I gave that in a previous email, but here goes again:
> >
> > the largest chip:
> >
> > CONEXANT
> > MPEGII A/V Encoder System
> > CX23418-22ZZ
> > 0546Y1F6
> > 0547 TAIWAN
> > ARM
> >

> > and for good measure:
> >
> > the smaller chip to the left reads (after rotating the card 90
> > degrees clockwise)
> >
> > CONEXANT
> > CX24227-11Z
> > NO4T4BF
> > 0639 CH
> >
> > and the smaller chip to the right (after rotating the card 180
> > degrees)
> >
> > ESMT
> > M13S128324A 5B
> > AZR1P60XE17 631
> >

> > and for more good measure, pictures are online at
> > http://www.dsrw.org/~dlg/hvr1600/
> >
> > they're a little blurry, but the best i could do with my camera.
> > --david

paul.l.harvey at gmail

Jan 18, 2007, 12:54 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

The url in the notice is incorrect... :)

Should be http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr1600.html

On 1/17/07, Hans Verkuil <hverkuil [at] xs4all> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 January 2007 05:32, thibaut colar wrote:
> > Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures of the card,
> > box, etc ...
> >
> > http://www.colar.net/pvr150/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hans
>

> > david l goodrich wrote:

> > > I gave that in a previous email, but here goes again:
> > >
> > > the largest chip:
> > >
> > > CONEXANT
> > > MPEGII A/V Encoder System
> > > CX23418-22ZZ
> > > 0546Y1F6
> > > 0547 TAIWAN
> > > ARM
> > >

> > > and for good measure:
> > >
> > > the smaller chip to the left reads (after rotating the card 90
> > > degrees clockwise)
> > >
> > > CONEXANT
> > > CX24227-11Z
> > > NO4T4BF
> > > 0639 CH
> > >
> > > and the smaller chip to the right (after rotating the card 180
> > > degrees)
> > >
> > > ESMT
> > > M13S128324A 5B
> > > AZR1P60XE17 631
> > >

> > > and for more good measure, pictures are online at
> > > http://www.dsrw.org/~dlg/hvr1600/
> > >
> > > they're a little blurry, but the best i could do with my camera.
> > > --david

I have Gmail invites... Email me if you want one!

00ivtv at robstarling

Jan 20, 2007, 11:30 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

I also just bought a PVR-150 that turned out to be a HVR-1600
and I, too, am angry with Hauppauge for making this switch
without any marking on the box.

Still, I'm curious -- why isn't there any planned support for
the CX23418? Is Conexant at all forthcoming with specs, or
was the CX23416 driver entirely a black-box development effort?

I'm assuming there's a reason, and I'll go back to Fry's in the
morning and open boxes until I find a real PVR-150, but if
there's anything I can do to help with a CX23418 driver, it
does sound like the additional features are interesting.

--Rob

--
/-------------------------------------------------------------\
| "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" |

sander.sweers at gmail

Jan 21, 2007, 1:53 AM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

Rob Starling wrote:
> Still, I'm curious -- why isn't there any planned support for
> the CX23418? Is Conexant at all forthcoming with specs, or
> was the CX23416 driver entirely a black-box development effort?

The story of linux, no ducumentation. There is a possibility Hans will
get the datasheet for this chip. Even if he gets it he estimates it will
take many months to add support for this chip to ivtv so in the near
future there will be no support.

Greets
Sander

00ivtv at robstarling

Jan 21, 2007, 5:11 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

Quickie update for those looking for a /real/ PVR-150 card in
retail stores --

The first one i bought (the one that turned out to be a
HVR-1600) had a sticker on the box advertising ReplayTV.

The one i returned it for (a real PVR-150) did not have
the sticker.

So if you want to reduce your chances of getting an HVR,
don't get one with the ReplayTV sticker. (or just make
someone at the store open the box for you so you can check
the writing on the RF-shield)

Now, to install my shiny new 150...

thanks all for helping to sort this out!
--Rob

dlg at dorkzilla

Jan 25, 2007, 8:06 PM

Re: Another PVR-150 w/ a CX23418 [In reply to]

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 05:11:54PM -0800, Rob Starling wrote:

> So if you want to reduce your chances of getting an HVR,
> don't get one with the ReplayTV sticker. (or just make
> someone at the store open the box for you so you can check
> the writing on the RF-shield)

unfortunately, this may not be a good guide. my replacement
pvr-150 was /really/ a pvr-150, and ir had a replay tv sticker.
--david