Mailing List Archive: ivtv: devel

state of raw/YUV support

ivtv devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

debian at freemail

Jul 19, 2005, 6:22 AM

state of raw/YUV support

Hi,

I hope, I ask it at the proper place. I could not find the exact answers,
and I like to know the state of support before the very buying...
I know, the best supported Hauppauge is the PVR250, but it's been
discontinued, so i would buy a 150.

How does the ivtv dirver support the YUV data? Can I bypass the
hardware mpeg2 encoder of the PVR cards? Can eg. mplayer read the
so grabbed raw stream, mplayer /dev/video32 ?
Is there also audio multiplexed in this raw stream, or it is just the
video? In latter case how could I grab the audio too?

I've read somewhere, that v4l[2] ist not supported by the ivtv. What
does it mean for the average user, which application, or which
funtionality cannot be rely on?

thanks,
sorry for my English :-)...
Chris

debian at freemail

Jul 20, 2005, 8:12 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Great answers,
thank you.

On Jul 19 15:22, Chris Woen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope, I ask it at the proper place. I could not find the exact answers,
> and I like to know the state of support before the very buying...
> I know, the best supported Hauppauge is the PVR250, but it's been
> discontinued, so i would buy a 150.
>
> How does the ivtv dirver support the YUV data? Can I bypass the
> hardware mpeg2 encoder of the PVR cards? Can eg. mplayer read the
> so grabbed raw stream, mplayer /dev/video32 ?
> Is there also audio multiplexed in this raw stream, or it is just the
> video? In latter case how could I grab the audio too?
>
> I've read somewhere, that v4l[2] ist not supported by the ivtv. What
> does it mean for the average user, which application, or which
> funtionality cannot be rely on?
>

> thanks,
> sorry for my English :-)...
> Chris

keenerb at roleplayga

Jul 20, 2005, 7:48 PM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Chris Woen wrote:

>Great answers,
>thank you.

What were the answers? I didn't see any responses to your e-mail.

I asked this question a while back, and I got no response.

Brian K

>On Jul 19 15:22, Chris Woen wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I hope, I ask it at the proper place. I could not find the exact answers,
>>and I like to know the state of support before the very buying...
>>I know, the best supported Hauppauge is the PVR250, but it's been
>>discontinued, so i would buy a 150.
>>
>>How does the ivtv dirver support the YUV data? Can I bypass the
>>hardware mpeg2 encoder of the PVR cards? Can eg. mplayer read the
>>so grabbed raw stream, mplayer /dev/video32 ?
>>Is there also audio multiplexed in this raw stream, or it is just the
>>video? In latter case how could I grab the audio too?
>>
>>I've read somewhere, that v4l[2] ist not supported by the ivtv. What
>>does it mean for the average user, which application, or which
>>funtionality cannot be rely on?
>>

>>thanks,
>>sorry for my English :-)...
>>Chris

Brian Keener

debian at freemail

Jul 21, 2005, 1:26 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

On Jul 20 22:48, Brian Keener wrote:
> Chris Woen wrote:
>
> >Great answers,
> >thank you.
> >

> What were the answers? I didn't see any responses to your e-mail.
>
> I asked this question a while back, and I got no response.

With mplayer it does not work (yet).

On the other (dark) side of the world, the windows drives do not support to
read raw data, so it would be amazing if these hacker guys manage it.

Chris

papenfuss at juneau

Jul 21, 2005, 5:47 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

>> What were the answers? I didn't see any responses to your e-mail.
>>
>> I asked this question a while back, and I got no response.
>
> With mplayer it does not work (yet).
>
> On the other (dark) side of the world, the windows drives do not support to
> read raw data, so it would be amazing if these hacker guys manage it.
>
> Chris

Awhile back (ivtv-0.1.9 IIRC) it could be made to work. The
biggest problem is that the data format isn't quite normal. It's
structured slightly strangely and it took a patched player to play it.
Nothing inherently bad, just a slight massaging of the data required.

I remember hearing of it breaking as the driver evolved, and I
have no idea what the current status is. Doesn't appear to be any reason
why it *couldn't* work.

* Cory Papenfuss *

john.p.harvey at btinternet

Jul 21, 2005, 5:56 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

It does work for a PVR 350 but the question (if i
remember correctly) was about a 150 and i have no idea
whether that works or not.
mplayer has a decoder that understands the format
coming out of the 350 and can play it directly (with
the correct command line options).

John
--- Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau> wrote:

> >> What were the answers? I didn't see any
> >>
> >> I asked this question a while back, and I got no
> response.
> >
> > With mplayer it does not work (yet).
> >
> > On the other (dark) side of the world, the windows
> drives do not support to
> > read raw data, so it would be amazing if these
> hacker guys manage it.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> Awhile back (ivtv-0.1.9 IIRC) it could be made to
> work. The
> biggest problem is that the data format isn't quite
> normal. It's
> structured slightly strangely and it took a patched
> player to play it.
> Nothing inherently bad, just a slight massaging of
> the data required.
>
> I remember hearing of it breaking as the driver
> evolved, and I
> have no idea what the current status is. Doesn't
> appear to be any reason
> why it *couldn't* work.

> * Cory Papenfuss
> *
> * Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate
> student *
> * Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
> University *

> Migration Strategies
> from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps,
> straightforward articles,
> informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you
> need to get up to
> speed, fast.

ivtv at groovy

Jul 21, 2005, 6:07 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Yes, YUV capture is exactly the same for the 150 as the 350, and only
broke for a very short period of time when rewriting all the DMA code,
and all the methods we use to run interrupts and work queue threads.

It is also interesting the Windows drivers take out YUV capture support
for pvr150/500 cards yet support it for pvr250/350 cards (I *think* it
does for the 250). This is absurd since absolutely NOTHING is different
in the firmware or hardware or interface to get YUV capture from the
card, so that's something I'm really curious about, why did they pull
YUV support for the newer cards in Windows????

Of course that's all capture, now sending YUV to the card and bypassing
the mpeg2 decoding unit (essentially doing the decoders function and
plugging into the hardware inbetween the two units, mpeg2->YUV decoder
and YUV display), is that even done in Windows???, I don't think it is,
and not done in Linux either, there's no success that I know of
anywhere else for sending YUV to these cards display directly (although
one of those 'features' supposidly possible, although it's one of those
phantom features we see so often for products now days, something
iCompression->Conexant kinda wanted to eventually do and as we are
seeing is *possible* but not engineered into firmware or done before).

Thanks,
Chris

===
Chris Kennedy
c [at] groovy

debian at freemail

Jul 21, 2005, 6:14 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Thank you, it seems today was my comment aptly provocative :-).

Hopefully I will be able to check the driver on a 150 today
or tomorrow.

Chris

ivtv at groovy

Jul 21, 2005, 6:20 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Also if capture of YUV is desired, and you want normal YUV, then add the
yuv_fixup=1 ivtv module option, this converts YUV, and is only a module
option and off by default since it's something not supposed to be done
at the driver level (so an application could be modeled after this code
to make an easy i/o prog to pipe to/from and convert the YUV of the
driver output and then yank the code and include the program with the
driver, probably one of the many things needed before getting included
in the Linux kernel).

Thanks,
Chris

===
Chris Kennedy
c [at] groovy

ivtv at groovy

Jul 21, 2005, 6:23 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

Also I would suggest using the options 'ivtv_dynbuf=0 yuv_buffers=16' if
really wanting strong stable YUV capture. This tunes the buffers to work
hardest at YUV allocation and ability to startup capture quickest and
without stress.

Thanks,
Chris

===
Chris Kennedy
c [at] groovy

john.p.harvey at btinternet

Jul 21, 2005, 6:32 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

If this is really needed in the driver then we should
probably add an ioctl to enable it so that a program
can choose the format it wants to read the data in
rather than making it a permanent module load option.

nufan_wfk at yahoo

Jul 21, 2005, 9:36 AM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

did someone rewrite the fixup code? the stuff that i
wrote back in the day was REALLY bad. instant crash :)

-tmk

--- John Harvey <john.p.harvey [at] btinternet> wrote:

> If this is really needed in the driver then we
> should
> probably add an ioctl to enable it so that a program
> can choose the format it wants to read the data in
> rather than making it a permanent module load
> option.
>

> --- Chris Kennedy <ivtv [at] groovy> wrote:
>
> > Also if capture of YUV is desired, and you want
> > normal YUV, then add the
> > yuv_fixup=1 ivtv module option, this converts YUV,
> > and is only a module
> > option and off by default since it's something not
> > supposed to be done
> > at the driver level (so an application could be
> > modeled after this code
> > to make an easy i/o prog to pipe to/from and
> convert
> > the YUV of the
> > driver output and then yank the code and include
> the
> > program with the
> > driver, probably one of the many things needed
> > before getting included
> > in the Linux kernel).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
> >
> > John Harvey wrote:
> >
> > >It does work for a PVR 350 but the question (if i
> > >remember correctly) was about a 150 and i have no
> > idea
> > >whether that works or not.
> > >mplayer has a decoder that understands the format
> > >coming out of the 350 and can play it directly
> > (with
> > >the correct command line options).
> > >
> > >John
> > >--- Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss [at] juneau>

> no

> > windows

> > quite
> > patched
> of

> driver
> Doesn't

> graduate

> Linux
> you

> > Migration Strategies
> > >from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps,
> > straightforward articles,
> > >informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you
> > need to get up to
> > >speed, fast.

> > --
> > ===
> > Chris Kennedy
> > c [at] groovy

> > Migration Strategies
> > from IBM. Find simple to follow Roadmaps,
> > straightforward articles,
> > informative Webcasts and more! Get everything you
> > need to get up to
> > speed, fast.

=== message truncated ===

ivtv at groovy

Jul 21, 2005, 12:28 PM

Re: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

I fixed it last, maybe someone did some work before me, maybe Hans, or
maybe not, but finished fixing it at least awhile back.

Also one interesting thing would be for someone to do this for input so
YUV Decoding has the opposite code. Figure that'd be not so difficult
for someone understanding YUV formats and having the output capture code
already, not sure though.

Thanks,
Chris

===
Chris Kennedy
c [at] groovy

john.p.harvey at btinternet

Jul 21, 2005, 1:41 PM

RE: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

I allready do it in the Xv driver if someone wants to lift the code it is in
the source code of it.
One of my thoughts is that in the long run I can do it by creating a bigger
SG array for the dma engine to just transfer from but I'm not sure how
beneficial that would really be yet.
One day I'll look at it. The ioctl I added has a format field in the
structure so that if we implement this in the driver anyone could supply
data in any format the driver understands since there are several ways the
data can be arranged.
I remain to be convinced about the benefit of the write interface for YUV
data but in time I will improve the ioctl one to do decoding if means we can
save CPU usage.

JOhn

nufan_wfk at yahoo

Jul 21, 2005, 3:20 PM

RE: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

> I remain to be convinced about the benefit of the
> write interface for YUV
> data but in time I will improve the ioctl one to do
> decoding if means we can
> save CPU usage.

(if i'm understaning correctly) I there would be a
real benefit in that folks wanting to write yuv to the
driver, but not source from X or mplayer/xine (or old
mplayer/xine) would have a standard inteface, instead
of having to "lift code" :)

-tmk

john.p.harvey at btinternet

Jul 21, 2005, 3:49 PM

RE: state of raw/YUV support [In reply to]

The problem with the read/write is the frame boundaries aren't well defined.
I'm not sure whether the read size is always 720 x height or whether setting
the capture resolution affects it. If it does it doesn't affect the output
and so the write has to assume it is getting 720 x height which might or
might not be true.
So I'm arguing that an ioctl where you define better what you are passing to
it is better rather than the read/write. I can see the benefit of reading
and writing more standard formats but there is more than one hence the
reason that put the type field in the yuv ioctl parameter.

Also for most people isn't the Xv interface to X the best "standard"
interface to this?

John