Mailing List Archive: ivtv: devel

need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All ivtv devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ckennedy at kmos

need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better

I currently need a couple things done to help us get the pvr150/500
cards working better, possibly just getting the cx23416 working better
in the process. I need first to find a way to dump the registers by
addresses we choose from Windows of the cx23416 chip, I'm sure I once
had a program to do this, but can't remember what it was. Just a simple
way to dump the registers would be a very big help. Second I need
people with Windows and the pvr500/150 cards (for now, maybe 250/350
later), to help dump register address ranges of the chip, after doing
specific configuration setups in Windows. So those are the two things,
I would want people in NTSC land first, so I can test, but PAL will work
just as well, I don't really mind either way for most of the testing.

So basically need...

1. way to dump the address registers of the chip (encoder, cx23416) in
windows, specifying address ranges which I will give you.
2. people to use that utility and configure things like VBI/cc/teletext
or whatever, bitrate, etc... and then take snapshots of register ranges
for me to use and figure things out.

Let me know about a utility if anyone knows, and let me know privately (ok
to email my private email address) if you can help by using Windows and the
new cards to get register dumps. This would be a very good donation to the
ivtv project :-), better than buying me stuff, since I should be able to help
get things figured out that we have not known this way, if things work as I
suspect and hope.

Thanks,
Chris
--
---
Chris Kennedy / ckennedy [at] kmos

sven.marten.czerwonka at gmx

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Chris Kennedy wrote:

>Also the user will need Windows media Center, seems that only that supports
>VBI of any sort, closed captioning, teletext,

at least teletext is supported by haupauge's vtplus software.

> and ability to configure things
>fully on the chip (or if anyone has another way to setup things like this
>outside media center in Windows please let me know).

I don't exactly know which functions you are refering to (I don't have
media center, so I don't know, what I can configure with it), but I
believe Hauppages WinTV2000 can do quite a lot.

Sven Marten
--
Sven Marten Czerwonka
Steenbeker Weg 14

ckennedy at kmos

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Also the user will need Windows media Center, seems that only that supports
VBI of any sort, closed captioning, teletext, and ability to configure things
fully on the chip (or if anyone has another way to setup things like this
outside media center in Windows please let me know).

The application I found which can read from the cards registers, so far, is
"WinDriver", a 30 day eval allows you to do this, meant for driver development
of hardware under windows, but has a simple read/write memory option in the
Define and test resources option for a pci device.

So let me know if you have media center, I'll let you know how to get things
setup to check some memory addresses/registers, also see if you can run
CC or other VBI viewing first.

Thanks,
Chris
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:47:35AM -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:
> I currently need a couple things done to help us get the pvr150/500
> cards working better, possibly just getting the cx23416 working better
> in the process. I need first to find a way to dump the registers by
> addresses we choose from Windows of the cx23416 chip, I'm sure I once
> had a program to do this, but can't remember what it was. Just a simple
> way to dump the registers would be a very big help. Second I need
> people with Windows and the pvr500/150 cards (for now, maybe 250/350
> later), to help dump register address ranges of the chip, after doing
> specific configuration setups in Windows. So those are the two things,
> I would want people in NTSC land first, so I can test, but PAL will work
> just as well, I don't really mind either way for most of the testing.
>
> So basically need...
>
> 1. way to dump the address registers of the chip (encoder, cx23416) in
> windows, specifying address ranges which I will give you.
> 2. people to use that utility and configure things like VBI/cc/teletext
> or whatever, bitrate, etc... and then take snapshots of register ranges
> for me to use and figure things out.
>

> Let me know about a utility if anyone knows, and let me know privately (ok
> to email my private email address) if you can help by using Windows and the
> new cards to get register dumps. This would be a very good donation to the
> ivtv project :-), better than buying me stuff, since I should be able to help
> get things figured out that we have not known this way, if things work as I
> suspect and hope.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris
> --
> ---
> Chris Kennedy / ckennedy [at] kmos
> Engineer KMOS-TV/KTBG-FM
> Broadcasting Services Department
> Central Missouri State University

---
Chris Kennedy / ckennedy [at] kmos
Engineer KMOS-TV/KTBG-FM
Broadcasting Services Department
Central Missouri State University

ian351c at cox

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Chris,

I don't have Windows Media Center, but I do have a shiny new PVR-500MCE
NTSC (rev D492) and a Windows box I can stick it in. If I can be of any
help with this setup, please let me know.

-- Ian Cartwright

--
Ian Cartwright <ian351c [at] cox>

monnahan at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

I have Windows Media Center and what I think is a 150. It is an
unrecognized card and I don't have it working in Linux yet. (Its a
Toshiba rebranding for Toshiba Qosmio F15 AV-201 (US model)) I'd be
willing to help out as well. My internet access is somewhat limited
except on weekends, but I'll see what I can do.

Ben

On Apr 8, 2005 2:34 PM, Ian Cartwright <ian351c [at] cox> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I don't have Windows Media Center, but I do have a shiny new PVR-500MCE
> NTSC (rev D492) and a Windows box I can stick it in. If I can be of any
> help with this setup, please let me know.
>
> -- Ian Cartwright
>
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:47 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:
> > I currently need a couple things done to help us get the pvr150/500
> > cards working better, possibly just getting the cx23416 working better
> > in the process. I need first to find a way to dump the registers by
> > addresses we choose from Windows of the cx23416 chip, I'm sure I once
> > had a program to do this, but can't remember what it was. Just a simple
> > way to dump the registers would be a very big help. Second I need
> > people with Windows and the pvr500/150 cards (for now, maybe 250/350
> > later), to help dump register address ranges of the chip, after doing
> > specific configuration setups in Windows. So those are the two things,
> > I would want people in NTSC land first, so I can test, but PAL will work
> > just as well, I don't really mind either way for most of the testing.
> >
> > So basically need...
> >
> > 1. way to dump the address registers of the chip (encoder, cx23416) in
> > windows, specifying address ranges which I will give you.
> > 2. people to use that utility and configure things like VBI/cc/teletext
> > or whatever, bitrate, etc... and then take snapshots of register ranges
> > for me to use and figure things out.
> >

> > Let me know about a utility if anyone knows, and let me know privately (ok
> > to email my private email address) if you can help by using Windows and the
> > new cards to get register dumps. This would be a very good donation to the
> > ivtv project :-), better than buying me stuff, since I should be able to help
> > get things figured out that we have not known this way, if things work as I
> > suspect and hope.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Chris
> --
> Ian Cartwright <ian351c [at] cox>

sergalex at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Chris,

With 3.2u the driver defaulted to PVR250 ... Why? "r" version defaulted to
PVR150
and all worked well ... until "u". What's happened?

On Apr 8, 2005 6:24 PM, Ben Monnahan <monnahan [at] gmail> wrote:

> I have Windows Media Center and what I think is a 150. It is an
> unrecognized card and I don't have it working in Linux yet. (Its a
> Toshiba rebranding for Toshiba Qosmio F15 AV-201 (US model)) I'd be
> willing to help out as well. My internet access is somewhat limited
> except on weekends, but I'll see what I can do.
>
> Ben
>
> On Apr 8, 2005 2:34 PM, Ian Cartwright <ian351c [at] cox> wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > I don't have Windows Media Center, but I do have a shiny new PVR-500MCE
> > NTSC (rev D492) and a Windows box I can stick it in. If I can be of any
> > help with this setup, please let me know.
> >
> > -- Ian Cartwright
> >
> > On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 10:47 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:
> > > I currently need a couple things done to help us get the pvr150/500
> > > cards working better, possibly just getting the cx23416 working better
> > > in the process. I need first to find a way to dump the registers by
> > > addresses we choose from Windows of the cx23416 chip, I'm sure I once
> > > had a program to do this, but can't remember what it was. Just a
> simple
> > > way to dump the registers would be a very big help. Second I need
> > > people with Windows and the pvr500/150 cards (for now, maybe 250/350
> > > later), to help dump register address ranges of the chip, after doing
> > > specific configuration setups in Windows. So those are the two things,
> > > I would want people in NTSC land first, so I can test, but PAL will
> work
> > > just as well, I don't really mind either way for most of the testing.
> > >
> > > So basically need...
> > >
> > > 1. way to dump the address registers of the chip (encoder, cx23416) in
> > > windows, specifying address ranges which I will give you.
> > > 2. people to use that utility and configure things like
> VBI/cc/teletext
> > > or whatever, bitrate, etc... and then take snapshots of register
> ranges
> > > for me to use and figure things out.
> > >

> > > Let me know about a utility if anyone knows, and let me know privately
> (ok
> > > to email my private email address) if you can help by using Windows
> and the
> > > new cards to get register dumps. This would be a very good donation to
> the
> > > ivtv project :-), better than buying me stuff, since I should be able
> to help
> > > get things figured out that we have not known this way, if things work
> as I
> > > suspect and hope.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Chris
> > --
> > Ian Cartwright <ian351c [at] cox>

Best wishes,
Serg

forsgump at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

I just got my shiny new PVR-150MCE (Model 1042) from Amazon yesterday.
I have MCE 2005 in that box (along with Gentoo Linux to test ivtv
drivers) and would be glad to help.

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

I'm wondering who has i2c sniffing capability, especially if having
Windows Media Center. Would like right now to get i2c logs of VBI
closed captioning and teletext setup. Thanks for all the replys to
this, I'll be using those in the future when I get more things lined up,
but right now need i2c captures of VBI.

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

It defaults to that now again because it originally did, and the manual
config through module arguments were off and depended on the order to
start with the 250. What are the log messages, sounds like it isn't
autodetecting the pvr500 correctly, but should spit out the vender and
subvender/device id's.

Thanks,
Chris

--
---

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Ye, got it. But nowhere in documentation I can find cardtype=6 option
for
PVR150. Just found it in the source ;)

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 08:16 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> It defaults to that now again because it originally did, and the
> manual
> config through module arguments were off and depended on the order to
> start with the 250. What are the log messages, sounds like it isn't
> autodetecting the pvr500 correctly, but should spit out the vender and
> subvender/device id's.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris

ckennedy at kmos

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Ah, yeah it's hard to find, but actually typing 'modinfo ivtv' (which is
for some reason a little known command in Linux modules), you get...

Specify card type:
1 = WinTV PVR 250
2 = WinTV PVR 350
3 = AVerMedia M179
4 = YUAN MPG600/Kuroutoshikou iTVC16-STVLP
5 = YUAN MPG160/Kuroutoshikou iTVC15-STVLP
6 = WinTV PVR-150 or PVR-500
7 = YUAN PG600/DIAMONDMM PVR-550 (CX Falcon 2)
Default: Autodetect

But still really need the dmesg logs of startup to fix that, so it
autodetects properly (or a lspci -vn output on your system, probably
both actually), then I can fix it for everyone :-).

Thanks,
Chris

--
---

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Chris,

lspci -v

01:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16
(CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device c801
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

lspci -vn

01:0a.0 Class 0400: 4444:0016 (rev 01)
Subsystem: 0070:c801
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

tveeprom

tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 25012, rev = B158, serial# = 7751595
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 43)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3410D (type = 5)
ivtv: i2c attach [client=tveeprom[50],ok]

This is PVR150 MCE LP NTSC

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 08:52 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Ah, yeah it's hard to find, but actually typing 'modinfo ivtv' (which is
> for some reason a little known command in Linux modules), you get...
>
> Specify card type:
> 1 = WinTV PVR 250
> 2 = WinTV PVR 350
> 3 = AVerMedia M179
> 4 = YUAN MPG600/Kuroutoshikou iTVC16-STVLP
> 5 = YUAN MPG160/Kuroutoshikou iTVC15-STVLP
> 6 = WinTV PVR-150 or PVR-500
> 7 = YUAN PG600/DIAMONDMM PVR-550 (CX Falcon 2)
> Default: Autodetect
>

> But still really need the dmesg logs of startup to fix that, so it
> autodetects properly (or a lspci -vn output on your system, probably
> both actually), then I can fix it for everyone :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 09:38:47AM -0400, Sergey Alexandrov wrote:
> > Ye, got it. But nowhere in documentation I can find cardtype=6 option
> > for
> > PVR150. Just found it in the source ;)
> >
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 08:16 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > > It defaults to that now again because it originally did, and the
> > > manual
> > > config through module arguments were off and depended on the order to
> > > start with the 250. What are the log messages, sounds like it isn't
> > > autodetecting the pvr500 correctly, but should spit out the vender and
> > > subvender/device id's.
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Chris

ckennedy at kmos

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Very cool, thanks, I added the new revision id to the driver :-).

Thanks,
Chris

--
---
Chris Kennedy / ckennedy [at] kmos
Engineer KMOS-TV/KTBG-FM
Broadcasting Services Department
Central Missouri State University

dan.meehl at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Sergey,

Ive got the same card as you. Can you tell me, have you got audio
working? I can get audio out of mplayer with 0.3.2i but after changing
the channels a few times (ptune-ui) mplayer segfaults. I couldnt get
any audio out of the drivers up to 0.3.2t and in mythtv I can get
audio until I change channels or pause or anything like that.

Chris, is there anything those of us without WindowsMCE can do to help
with this situation?

-Dan

--
-Dan

sergalex at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

One more good news:

Tried to use scaling, but got wide lane at the bottom of the screen
with garbage,
so decided to turn off vertical scaling by commenting out line 879
in cx25840-driver.c:

CX25840_SET_VSCALE(VSC);

Because I don't need vertical scaling for now (trying to use 352x480
and 480x480, NTSC)
After recompiling horizontal scaling works! This way, I can decrease
bitrate twice
to get approx. the same quality ;)

So it's very close !!!

And thanks for you, man! I'm just a reporter :)

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 10:27 -0500, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Very cool, thanks, I added the new revision id to the driver :-).
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:54:58AM -0400, Sergey Alexandrov wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > lspci -v

sergalex at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Dan,

Yes, I got audio working a long time ago. My modprobe.conf - didn'r
change it for a long time,
maybe it has some unnecessary options :)

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 cardtype=6
options cx25840 debug=1 no_black_magic=1 audiofmt=1

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:38 -0400, Dan Meehl wrote:

> Sergey,
>
> Ive got the same card as you. Can you tell me, have you got audio
> working? I can get audio out of mplayer with 0.3.2i but after changing
> the channels a few times (ptune-ui) mplayer segfaults. I couldnt get
> any audio out of the drivers up to 0.3.2t and in mythtv I can get
> audio until I change channels or pause or anything like that.
>
> Chris, is there anything those of us without WindowsMCE can do to help
> with this situation?
>
> -Dan

dan.meehl at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Thanks, I will try it as soon as I get home and report back.

--
-Dan

dan.meehl at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Ive got the latest drivers and the modprobe options that you gave me,
but I cant even get a picture out of it with this setup. I just get
alternating snow and green screen. Also no snow sound. I'm not sure
what I am doing wrong here. What version of the driver are you using?

-- Dan

--
-Dan

sergalex at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Dan,

- For now, I'm usind 0.3.2w (now it's autodetected my card, THANX, Chris!)
- Are u sure you've deleted or renamed supplied with kernel tuner.ko?
- Mandrake 10.1, but kernel (2.6.10) compiled from source.
- check where is cable plugged into (I'm not kidding - first time I plugged
it into
upper socket - radio :)

On 4/14/05, Dan Meehl <dan.meehl [at] gmail> wrote:

> Ive got the latest drivers and the modprobe options that you gave me,
> but I cant even get a picture out of it with this setup. I just get
> alternating snow and green screen. Also no snow sound. I'm not sure
> what I am doing wrong here. What version of the driver are you using?
>
> -- Dan
>
> On 4/13/05, Dan Meehl <dan.meehl [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Thanks, I will try it as soon as I get home and report back.
> >
> > -Dan
> >
> > On 4/13/05, Sergey Alexandrov <sergalex [at] gmail> wrote:
> > > Dan,
> > >
> > > Yes, I got audio working a long time ago. My modprobe.conf - didn'r
> > > change it for a long time,
> > > maybe it has some unnecessary options :)
> > >
> > > alias char-major-81 videodev
> > > alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> > > options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 cardtype=6
> > > options cx25840 debug=1 no_black_magic=1 audiofmt=1
> > >

> > > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:38 -0400, Dan Meehl wrote:
> > >
> > > Sergey,
> > >
> > > Ive got the same card as you. Can you tell me, have you got audio
> > > working? I can get audio out of mplayer with 0.3.2i but after changing
> > > the channels a few times (ptune-ui) mplayer segfaults. I couldnt get
> > > any audio out of the drivers up to 0.3.2t and in mythtv I can get
> > > audio until I change channels or pause or anything like that.
> > >
> > > Chris, is there anything those of us without WindowsMCE can do to help
> > > with this situation?
> > >
> > > -Dan
> > >

> > --
> > -Dan
> >

> --
> -Dan

Best wishes,
Serg

dan.meehl at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Well I had a picture and sound in mplayer previously with driver h. I
just did a fresh install of linux (knoppmyth kernel 2.6.9) and the
newest drivers and cant get anything. Ive installed h again and I cant
seem to get a picture out of that anymore either. I have not tried to
remember what they were). I'll play some more tomorrow. I have a final
8am so I need to get some sleep.

-- Dan

--
-Dan

dan.meehl at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Well I am getting very very frustrated now. I cant even get the driver
to accept module options anymore. Ive tried putting them in
/etc/init.d/ivtv, /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv, and /etc/modules.conf. No
matter what I do, the tuner number never changes in my logs and I
always just get snow because the right tuner is not set. I am trying
to get 0.3.2i working again, because that is the last driver version
that I had a picture and sound (unstable) before I reinstalled
knoppmyth.

To tell you the truth, I cant even tell where these modules are
getting modprobed. I removed everything from every file I could find
greping in /etc and all subdirectories and when I reboot the modules
are still loaded. Am I misunderstanding something. Does the system
automatically just load everything in /lib/modules/{kernelvesion/ ? I
thought they had to be manually modprobed?

Some /var/log/messages:
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 25012, rev = B158, serial# = 7713534
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3410D (type = 5)
ivtv: Setting Tuner 4
tuner: type set to 4 (NoTuner) by ivtv i2c driver #0

-- Dan

--
-Dan

wepprop at sbcglobal

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

A success report for an NTSC PVR-500 rev D492. Ordered from mwave a
week ago, installed today. I had blocked out most of the weekend for
the install, but I (apparently) I got lucky and it only took a couple of
hours. This on FC3, with ivtv verson 0.3.2q, and with modeprobe.conf
configured as follows:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias char-major-81-3 ivtv

alias tuner tuner-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-itvt
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv

options saa7127 i2c_enable = -1,-1,-1,-1
options cx25840 i2c_enable=1,1,1,1 no_black_magic=1
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=2,2,57,57

Note that I had two working PVR-250's in the box before and they are
still working after the install (so far, knock on wood, fingers
crossed). As originally installed, I had not included the "alias tuner
tuner-ivtv" line and that led to failures to initialize the PVR-500
tuners. Also, I originally had a line "options wm8775 mixer=2" line in
modprobe.conf, but that resulted in no sound - deleting that line
restored sound.

Other messages on this list led me to think that commenging out the
'VSCALE' line in the file cx25840-driver.c might allow horizontal
scaling to work, but it did not. I also tried 0.3.2y, which has the
VSCALE line pre-commented out and that did not work either. In fact,
with 0.3.2y, not only did horizontal scaling not work, but there were
many nasty, multicolored vertical lines across the picture recorded from
either/both halves of the PVR-500 (the PVR-250's were ok). Reverting to
0.3.2q eliminated the PVR-500 vertical lines and in addition, without
scaling, I'll be recording everything at 720x480 for the time being.

Setup was a little peculiar, trying to figure out whether the video2
device was associatged with the tuner0 input or the tuner1 input, and
the same question with the video3 device. Ended up with tuner0 on
video2 and tuner1 on video3.

At this point, the only things I would wish for are:

1) Stability (please keep working! 0.3.2q has been very stable on my
PVR-250's but only time will tell how it does with the PVR-500)

2) Horizontal scaling, as I prefer to do routine recordings at
352x480x3000 kbps.

Assuming I haven't spoken too soon and everything keeps working, I would
be more than happy to cross-check my setup against anyone who is having
problems getting their PVR-500 to work.

Bill

dan.littlejohn at gmail

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

That is awesome, thanks for giving an update.

Dan

linux at meiersos

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

Am Samstag, 16. April 2005 03.52 schrieb Dan Meehl:
> Well I am getting very very frustrated now. I cant even get the driver
> to accept module options anymore. Ive tried putting them in
> /etc/init.d/ivtv, /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv, and /etc/modules.conf. No
> matter what I do, the tuner number never changes in my logs and I
> always just get snow because the right tuner is not set. I am trying
> to get 0.3.2i working again, because that is the last driver version
> that I had a picture and sound (unstable) before I reinstalled
> knoppmyth.
>
> To tell you the truth, I cant even tell where these modules are
> getting modprobed. I removed everything from every file I could find
> greping in /etc and all subdirectories and when I reboot the modules
> are still loaded. Am I misunderstanding something. Does the system
> automatically just load everything in /lib/modules/{kernelvesion/ ? I
> thought they had to be manually modprobed?
>
> Some /var/log/messages:
> tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 25012, rev = B158, serial# = 7713534
> tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)
> tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
> tveeprom: audio_processor = MSP3410D (type = 5)

AFAIK It looks to me, that you have from your reinstallation of Knoppmyth a tuner.ko
in the /lib/modules/....../video/tuner.ko and this is used to identifie the tuner.

I had this also, when I used my PVR 150 and upgraded the kernel and forgot to remove the
tuner.ko and msp3400.ko.

Because your tuner is not know to the tuner.ko, supplyed by the kernel, it will not work.

> ivtv: Setting Tuner 4
> tuner: type set to 4 (NoTuner) by ivtv i2c driver #0
>
> -- Dan

I would try this:
I would do the following:
1) search for all the tuner.ko and remove them
2) reinstall the ivtv driver
3) remove the tuner=38 from the modprobe ivtv line
4) make depmod -a
5) shutdown -h now
6) wait for 30 seconds (clear memory of PVR card)
7) restart and look at the dmesg for the tuner type

Regards Marcel

jbriggs at briggsmedia

Re: need help for pvr150/500 cards to work better [In reply to]

The ivtv driver puts modules in /lib/modules/kernel-version/ivtv,
whereas the kernel has duplicate modules in
/lib/modules/kernel-version/drivers/media/video . I find it best to copy
all .ko files from ivtv over to the video directory then reboot.