Mailing List Archive: ivtv: devel

Current status 2/24/03

ivtv devel RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

nufan_wfk at yahoo

Feb 25, 2003, 1:39 AM

Current status 2/24/03

Thought i'd give you all an update.

I'm close to finishing up my saa7115 driver, I've got
decent defaults in for NTSC (after much trial and
error), and PAL should be fairly trivial after that.
Problems i currenetly have:

* audio and video quickly lose sync.. audio goes
faster than video.

* video has lots of field-off-by-1 artifacts.. by this
i mean that every other frame or so, the next field
finds its way in, leaving a combed look onscreen. My
hunch is that this is due to the video clock being
slow or slightlyoff (since that would also explain the
audio problems too)

I also incorporated the versioning changes requested
earlier. I'll CVS it tomorrow night. Sorry to keep you
waiting.

-tmk

linpvr at projectplasma

Feb 25, 2003, 5:37 PM

Re: Current status 2/24/03 [In reply to]

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, kevin thayer wrote:

> * audio and video quickly lose sync..
> * video has lots of field-off-by-1 artifacts..

Do you have these issues with the hacked up 7115 module I gave you?

John

cmeyer at venus

Feb 25, 2003, 10:09 PM

Re: Current status 2/24/03 [In reply to]

> * video has lots of field-off-by-1 artifacts.. by this
> i mean that every other frame or so, the next field
> finds its way in, leaving a combed look onscreen. My
> hunch is that this is due to the video clock being
> slow or slightlyoff (since that would also explain the
> audio problems too)

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but it's
normal for most content on NTSC to have 2 out of 5 frames
have a combed look. This is because of the 3:2 pulldown
that's applied to film (24fps) material to make it
compatible with the 60 fields a second used on NTSC.
Does item Nr 3 here:
http://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm
explain what you're seeing? You can also search for "3:2 pulldown" on
Google to get more:)

The iTVC15's spec actually claims that it supports inverse 3:2 pulldown,
aka inverse telecine, but at least in the windows driver, that doesn't
seem to work.

btw, if you already knew all this and what you're seeing is something
else, ignore me and I'll bow down my head in shame:)

-Claude

nufan_wfk at yahoo

Feb 26, 2003, 12:11 AM

Re: Current status 2/24/03 [In reply to]

Thanks for the explanation. I'm checking it out :)

I actually know very little about video stuff, I'm
more of a techie/linux guy.. Any video wisdom you
wanna pass down is fine with me :)

Looks like I need to de-interlace.. I saw some
settings relating to that, which i'll check out. The
audio thing is what's got me right now though...
(starts out synced, but quickly goes out of sync.. not
sure if the audio is going fast or the video going
slow.. it *sounds* right so i'm blaming the video :)

-tmk

--- cmeyer [at] venus wrote:
> > * video has lots of field-off-by-1 artifacts.. by
> this
> > i mean that every other frame or so, the next
> field
> > finds its way in, leaving a combed look onscreen.
> My
> > hunch is that this is due to the video clock being
> > slow or slightlyoff (since that would also explain
> the
> > audio problems too)
>
> I'm not sure if this is what you're describing, but
> it's
> normal for most content on NTSC to have 2 out of 5
> frames
> have a combed look. This is because of the 3:2
> pulldown
> that's applied to film (24fps) material to make it
> compatible with the 60 fields a second used on NTSC.
> Does item Nr 3 here:

http://www.100fps.com/video_resolution_vs_fluidity.htm
> explain what you're seeing? You can also search for
> "3:2 pulldown" on
> Google to get more:)
>
> The iTVC15's spec actually claims that it supports
> inverse 3:2 pulldown,
> aka inverse telecine, but at least in the windows
> driver, that doesn't
> seem to work.
>
> btw, if you already knew all this and what you're
> seeing is something
> else, ignore me and I'll bow down my head in shame:)
>
> -Claude

> Techies!
> Can't afford IT training? All 2003 ictp students
> receive scholarships.
> Get hands-on training in Microsoft, Cisco, Sun,
> Linux/UNIX, and more.
> www.ictp.com/training/sourceforge.asp

nufan_wfk at yahoo

Feb 26, 2003, 12:29 AM

Re: Current status 2/24/03 [In reply to]

well poo.

Playing the file in mplayer shows the interlacing
pretty bad, and the audio is out of sync

playing on windows (media player), it looks beautiful
and the audio is right on. GRR!

so.. Onwards, upwards.

-tmk

astfgl at iamnota

Feb 26, 2003, 12:45 AM

Re: Current status 2/24/03 [In reply to]

kevin thayer wrote:
> (starts out synced, but quickly goes out of sync.. not
> sure if the audio is going fast or the video going
> slow.. it *sounds* right so i'm blaming the video :)

Do you have a video camera with composite/S-Video out? If
so, capture a video of a watch/clock and check the playback
speed against it.

On every 10-second mark, you can make beep-beep noises to
check the audio, too!

Cheers, glen.