Mailing List Archive: Interchange: users

Re: [interchange] Eval the Encode::PERLQQ module, to avoid errors when it and Encode are not present

Interchange users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

david at endpoint

Jun 27, 2012, 7:43 PM

On Jun 27, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:

> + eval {
> + require Encode::PERLQQ;
> + $Have_encode = 1;
> + };

I believe PERLQQ is a symbol (constant) in the Encode package, not a package itself, so I don't think this is actually testing for what's intended, and would in fact never succeed. Or am I missing something?

Regards,

David
--
David Christensen
End Point Corporation

jon at endpoint

Jun 28, 2012, 9:46 AM

Re: [interchange] Eval the Encode::PERLQQ module, to avoid errors when it and Encode are not present [In reply to]

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, David Christensen wrote:

>> + eval {
>> + require Encode::PERLQQ;
>> + $Have_encode = 1;
>> + };
>
> I believe PERLQQ is a symbol (constant) in the Encode package, not a
> package itself, so I don't think this is actually testing for what's
> intended, and would in fact never succeed. Or am I missing something?

Sure looks that way to me in a quick isolated test script.

Josh, did you ever see $Have_encode get set?

David, you need to start testing this stuff *before* we merge it to
master. :)

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation

josh at perusion

Jun 28, 2012, 10:08 AM

Re: [interchange] Eval the Encode::PERLQQ module, to avoid errors when it and Encode are not present [In reply to]

Quoting Jon Jensen (jon [at] endpoint):
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012, David Christensen wrote:
>
> >>+ eval {
> >>+ require Encode::PERLQQ;
> >>+ $Have_encode = 1;
> >>+ };
> >
> >I believe PERLQQ is a symbol (constant) in the Encode package, not
> >a package itself, so I don't think this is actually testing for
> >what's intended, and would in fact never succeed. Or am I missing
> >something?
>
> Sure looks that way to me in a quick isolated test script.
>
> Josh, did you ever see $Have_encode get set?

No, I don't use it with that, so it would be great to have someone test.
This was just my feeble attempt to make it work for me, and hope to not
break anything for others. :-)

--
Josh Lavin
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting http://www.perusion.com/

racke at linuxia

Sep 13, 2012, 7:50 AM

Re: [interchange] Eval the Encode::PERLQQ module, to avoid errors when it and Encode are not present [In reply to]

On 06/28/2012 07:08 PM, Josh Lavin wrote:
> Quoting Jon Jensen (jon [at] endpoint):

>>> I believe PERLQQ is a symbol (constant) in the Encode package, not
>>> a package itself, so I don't think this is actually testing for
>>> what's intended, and would in fact never succeed. Or am I missing
>>> something?
>>
>> Sure looks that way to me in a quick isolated test script.
>>
>> Josh, did you ever see $Have_encode get set?
>
> No, I don't use it with that, so it would be great to have someone test.
> This was just my feeble attempt to make it work for me, and hope to not
> break anything for others. :-)

You did, as this switched off UTF-8 encoding in [email] unconditionally.
Fixed now by commit f6a3f7f56c2897fac19b8e53f22f6830c907d7d4.

Regards
Racke

Interchange Development Team