Mailing List Archive: Interchange: users

mobile version of store

Interchange users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

glenn at bnetmd

mobile version of store

Hi there,
Anyone done an IC store intended for mobile users? Cell phone, iPad? We
have a client who wants a large store due to come up this summer to have
both web/mobile versions.
Thanks!
Glenn.

arogerso at uwaterloo

Re: mobile version of store [In reply to]

Hi Glenn,

We looked at that a while ago and made mobile versions of some of our search and result pages. The main difference was the general orientation of the page layout. We did this by removing some of the real estate hogging graphics and making search results tall and skinny so that users only had to scroll up and down, not sideways.

Mobile fell off our radar, and although our pages are still in production we do not appear to have them linked from anywhere.

Mobile (and accessible) are back on the radar now. Last time we had wanted to handle the difference by offering up different CSS for screen and mobile browsers. We had planned on using css (index? and float?) to lay things out differently for different browser types. We would then just serve up different CSS depending on the browser type (mobile or full screen). At the time, the state of CSS on mobile devices was not up to the task. We will be looking at that again soon, but would be interested in anyone else's ideas.

Angus

Angus Rogerson
Retail Services, University of Waterloo

On 2012-05-02, at 8:40 AM, Glenn McCalley wrote:

> Hi there,
> Anyone done an IC store intended for mobile users? Cell phone, iPad? We have a client who wants a large store due to come up this summer to have both web/mobile versions.
> Thanks!
> Glenn.

glenn at bnetmd

Re: mobile version of store [In reply to]

Angus, thanks for the reply.
We were taking the same approach, tall, skinny and lean, then the client
hired some hotshots from AT&T to do the mobile version - we are doing the
traditional version. Still to run on our servers, though. The store(s) is
for one of the major political party conventions in the US this summer and
should be a good test. Let me know if you want to be kept posted from time
to time.