Mailing List Archive: Interchange: users

Short codes and QR code generator

Interchange users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

paul at gishnetwork

Mar 23, 2012, 12:13 AM

Short codes and QR code generator

Anybody have any work they can share using QR codes in IC, like a usertag or
such? Also looking for Short Codes (like bit.ly), mostly WRT to generating
them.

If not, I'll be giving this to a consultant who I am sure will contribute it
back. However, I'd be very surprised if nobody hasn't already done the QR
codes.

TIA,

Paul

carl at endpoint

Mar 23, 2012, 6:30 AM

Re: Short codes and QR code generator [In reply to]

On Mar 23, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Paul Jordan wrote:

> Anybody have any work they can share using QR codes in IC, like a usertag or such? Also looking for Short Codes (like bit.ly), mostly WRT to generating them.
>
> If not, I'll be giving this to a consultant who I am sure will contribute it back. However, I'd be very surprised if nobody hasn't already done the QR codes.
>
> TIA,
>
> Paul

Paul,

No need for an Interchange tag to generate QR codes. Google has a utility you can use:
example: http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=200x200&chl=http%3A//www.mydomain.com/index.html&chld=H|0
more reading: http://code.google.com/apis/chart/infographics/docs/overview.html

Carl
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Carl Bailey
End Point Corp.
t: 919-323-8025
f: 212-929-6927
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ea3bkz at amsat

Mar 23, 2012, 10:38 AM

Re: Short codes and QR code generator [In reply to]

Al 23/03/12 08:13, En/na Paul Jordan ha escrit:

> Anybody have any work they can share using QR codes in IC, like a usertag or
> such? Also looking for Short Codes (like bit.ly), mostly WRT to generating them.

I use this usertag for tinyurl service:

UserTag tinyurl HasEndTag
UserTag tinyurl Interpolate

UserTag tinyurl Routine <<EOR

sub {
use strict;
use LWP;
my $input = $_[0];
$input =~ s/^ht{2}p:\/{2}//;
my $url = 'http://tinyurl.com/api-create.php?url=http://'.$input;
my $browser = LWP::UserAgent->new;
my $response = $browser->get($url);
die "Can't get $url --", $response->status_line unless $response->is_success;
return $response->content." "}

EOR

regards
Salvador Caballé

paul at gishnetwork

Mar 24, 2012, 3:28 PM

Re: Short codes and QR code generator [In reply to]

> > Anybody have any work they can share using QR codes in IC, like a usertag or
> > such? Also looking for Short Codes (like bit.ly), mostly WRT to generating them.
> >

> I use this usertag for tinyurl service:
>

> UserTag tinyurl HasEndTag
> UserTag tinyurl Interpolate
>
> UserTag tinyurl Routine <<EOR
>
> sub {
> use strict;
> use LWP;
> my $input = $_[0];
> $input =~ s/^ht{2}p:\/{2}//;
> my $url = 'http://tinyurl.com/api-create.php?url=http://'.$input;
> my $browser = LWP::UserAgent->new;
> my $response = $browser->get($url);
> die "Can't get $url --", $response->status_line unless $response->is_success;
> return $response->content." "}
>
> EOR
>

> regards
> Salvador Caballé

Thanks Salvador. What I actually meant was I want to use my own domains - I need to create a system that spits out short codes for our own controlled and repurposable needs. Generating codes that leverage minimalistic goals, complete with exclusion lists, etc I've found is not found easily on the net (like in a module). So just wondering if someone has done some lifting, otherwise we have to do it from scratch.

That would be cool if there was a service that just generated unique shortcodes, but I don't see any.

Paul