Mailing List Archive: Interchange: users

access_gate standing - obsolete?

Interchange users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

paul at gishnetwork

Sep 22, 2011, 10:01 PM

access_gate standing - obsolete?

Someone recently mentioned to me that their recall was that .access_gate
(and I assume .access) might be considered obsolete. This could have just be
their unfamiliarity with it, but I wanted to see if this is so or not. I
find it still works perfect for http and https on at least 5.6.3.

I use access_gate as a BACKUP mode of security, but if it has the potential
of disappearing in the distro, then I will look for another backup method.

If I continue to use it, I want to know it's still relevant.

Thank you

Paul Jordan

racke at linuxia

Sep 22, 2011, 11:20 PM

Re: access_gate standing - obsolete? [In reply to]

On 09/23/2011 07:01 AM, Paul Jordan wrote:

> Someone recently mentioned to me that their recall was that .access_gate (and I assume .access) might be considered obsolete. This could have just be their unfamiliarity with it, but I wanted to see if this is so or not. I find it still works perfect for http and https on at least 5.6.3.
>
> I use access_gate as a BACKUP mode of security, but if it has the potential of disappearing in the distro, then I will look for another backup method.
>
> If I continue to use it, I want to know it's still relevant.

There are no plans to remove that functionality within 5.x.

Regards
Racke

Interchange Development Team

paul at gishnetwork

Sep 23, 2011, 11:56 AM

Re: access_gate standing - obsolete? [In reply to]

> On 09/23/2011 07:01 AM, Paul Jordan wrote:
> > Someone recently mentioned to me that their recall was that .access_gate (and I assume .access) might be considered obsolete. This could have just be their unfamiliarity with it, but I wanted to see if this is so or not. I find it still works perfect for http and https on at least 5.6.3.
> >
> > I use access_gate as a BACKUP mode of security, but if it has the potential of disappearing in the distro, then I will look for another backup method.
> >
> > If I continue to use it, I want to know it's still relevant.
> >

> There are no plans to remove that functionality within 5.x.
>
> Regards
> Racke

Thank you Racke.

I'll assume there are no plans to remove it beyond 5 either, but not neccessarily plans to keep it either unless I hear otherwise.

Paul

racke at linuxia

Sep 24, 2011, 11:22 AM

Re: access_gate standing - obsolete? [In reply to]

On 09/23/2011 08:56 PM, Paul Jordan wrote:

>> On 09/23/2011 07:01 AM, Paul Jordan wrote:
>>> Someone recently mentioned to me that their recall was that .access_gate (and I assume .access) might be considered obsolete. This could have just be their unfamiliarity with it, but I wanted to see if this is so or not. I find it still works perfect for http and https on at least 5.6.3.
>>>
>>> I use access_gate as a BACKUP mode of security, but if it has the potential of disappearing in the distro, then I will look for another backup method.
>>>
>>> If I continue to use it, I want to know it's still relevant.
>>>

>> There are no plans to remove that functionality within 5.x.
>>
>> Regards
>> Racke
>

> Thank you Racke.
>

> I'll assume there are no plans to remove it beyond 5 either, but not neccessarily plans to keep it either unless I hear otherwise.

IC 6 will be fundamentally different from IC 5, as an army of ants compared to single bulky rhino, so .access_gate wouldn't fit
into the concept of IC 6 unless you write an extension for it :-).