Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

Gpg4Win and GnuPG

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

papillion at gmail

Gpg4Win and GnuPG

Quick question: are there any security concerns with running GnuPG and
GPG4Win on the same system?

Thanks!

--
Sent from my mobile device

wk at gnupg

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 May 2012 10:12, papillion [at] gmail said:
> Quick question: are there any security concerns with running GnuPG and
> GPG4Win on the same system?

Gpg4win is an installer which includes GnuPG as its crypto engine. In
fact, Gpg4win is the suggested way to install GnuPG on Windows.

In case your question is whether you can use the GnuPG 1.4 installer
along with Gpg4win (which comes with GnuPG 2): This is not suggested but
should not pose a security problem. Note, that you will end up with two
programs named gpg on your box - this may lead to some confusion.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

papillion at gmail

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

Thank you, Werner. The system already has GPG installed and they
won't want a second copy, I'm sure. I thought GPG4Win added a new
context menu item that would allow easier file encryption. If not then
they don't need anything else.

Thanks!
Anthony

--
Sent from my mobile device

On May 3, 2012, at 3:45 AM, Werner Koch <wk [at] gnupg> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2012 10:12, papillion [at] gmail said:
>> Quick question: are there any security concerns with running GnuPG
>> and
>> GPG4Win on the same system?
>
> Gpg4win is an installer which includes GnuPG as its crypto engine. In
> fact, Gpg4win is the suggested way to install GnuPG on Windows.
>
> In case your question is whether you can use the GnuPG 1.4 installer
> along with Gpg4win (which comes with GnuPG 2): This is not suggested
> but
> should not pose a security problem. Note, that you will end up with
> two
> programs named gpg on your box - this may lead to some confusion.
>

> Shalom-Salam,
>
> Werner
>
> --
> Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.

mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

03.05.2012 11:57, Anthony Papillon kirjoitti:
> Thank you, Werner. The system already has GPG installed and they
> won't want a second copy, I'm sure. I thought GPG4Win added a new
> context menu item that would allow easier file encryption. If not
> then they don't need anything else.
>
> Thanks! Anthony
>
> -- Sent from my mobile device
>
> On May 3, 2012, at 3:45 AM, Werner Koch <wk [at] gnupg> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 May 2012 10:12, papillion [at] gmail said:
>>> Quick question: are there any security concerns with running
>>> GnuPG and GPG4Win on the same system?
>>
>> Gpg4win is an installer which includes GnuPG as its crypto
>> engine. In fact, Gpg4win is the suggested way to install GnuPG
>> on Windows.
>>
>> In case your question is whether you can use the GnuPG 1.4
>> installer along with Gpg4win (which comes with GnuPG 2): This is
>> not suggested but should not pose a security problem. Note, that
>> you will end up with two programs named gpg on your box - this
>> may lead to some confusion.
>>

>> Shalom-Salam,
>>
>> Werner
>>
>> -- Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahmen regelt ein Bundesgesetz.

GPG4Win has some program which includes the context menu. I think that
GPG4Win doesn't offer to install GnuPG if you have up-to-date version
already.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728

I use GPG/INLINE, because some mailing list programs modify the headers
of messages and this way make signature.asc files (PGP/MIME)
unverifiable. Please remove lines about beginning and ending GPG
signature blocks in your replies to messages, which are sent by me.

wk at gnupg

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

On Thu, 3 May 2012 10:57, papillion [at] gmail said:
> Thank you, Werner. The system already has GPG installed and they
> won't want a second copy, I'm sure. I thought GPG4Win added a new
> context menu item that would allow easier file encryption. If not then

Right. However, you can select which components you want to install.

BTW, I just prepared a beta version for 2.1.1, which will be a
maintenance update.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

jw72253 at verizon

RE: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

Any issues with installing gpg or GPA on Windows Server 2008? Thanks.

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]

03.05.2012 20:18, John A. Wallace kirjoitti:
> Any issues with installing gpg or GPA on Windows Server 2008?
> Thanks.
>

>> -----Original Message----- From: gnupg-users-bounces [at] gnupg

Isn't Windows Server 2008 only for servers?
If it allows installing normal programs there probably aren't, but I
am not sure as I haven't ever used Windows servers.

PS. Please don't top post if possible.

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728

I use GPG/INLINE, because some mailing list programs modify the headers
of messages and this way make signature.asc files (PGP/MIME)
unverifiable. Please remove lines about beginning and ending GPG
signature blocks in your replies to messages, which are sent by me.

kf at sumptuouscapital

Re: Gpg4Win and GnuPG [In reply to]