Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

gpg2

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

david at gbenet

gpg2

wk at gnupg

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:14, david [at] gbenet said:

> I'm using Mint Linux - gpg2 and gpg are both using /.gpg I have no /.gpg2 dir on my system

Are you sure? The default home directory is ~/.gnupg and not ~/.gpg .
It is not advisable to have different directories for both versions.
We took great care to allow installation of both version with the same
home directory.

What is the output of

gpg --version

and gpg2 --version?

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

Hi,

24.04.2012 10:14, david [at] gbenet kirjoitti:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using Mint Linux - gpg2 and gpg are both using /.gpg I have no /.gpg2 dir on my system
> and no dir gets created when I run gpg2 --version. No dirs are created in usr/bin either -
> in fact I had to create a home/david/.gpg
>
> The question are:
> What (and where) script calls gpg to load?
> Can I delete gpg and then run gpg2?
> Can I make a dir ie /.gpg2 and copy all to it and then get enigmail to use gpg2?
>
> David

Both GPG and GPG2 use the same ~/.gnupg directory.

1. I don't understand this question.
2. You said that you are on Linux Mint, which uses apt, which requires
gpg1, so you might get warnings when trying to remove it. I recommend
just keeping both.
3. As I said above, both use ~/.gnupg. If you want to use gpg2 with
Enigmail, open Enigmail preferences and on basic tab you should see gpg
location. Check the "override with" box and write (or browse) /usr/bin/gpg2.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

david at gbenet

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 09:51, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:14, david [at] gbenet said:
>
>> I'm using Mint Linux - gpg2 and gpg are both using /.gpg I have no /.gpg2 dir on my system
>
> Are you sure? The default home directory is ~/.gnupg and not ~/.gpg .
> It is not advisable to have different directories for both versions.
> We took great care to allow installation of both version with the same
> home directory.
>
> What is the output of
>
> gpg --version
>
> and gpg2 --version?e re
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
> Werner

Hi Werner - my apologies the~/.gpg was a typo on my part

The respective outputs for gpg and gpg2 are as follows:

david [at] laptop- ~ $ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.11

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cypher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

david [at] laptop- ~ $ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.17
libgcrypt 1.5.0

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA
Cypher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH, CAMELLIA128,
CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

As you see they point to the same home dir - I thought of uninstalling GNUpg - there is no
directory (folder) ~/.gnupg2 created on my Linux I've looked as "root" and show all hidden
files and none get created.

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”
http:/counter.li.org 512854

david at gbenet

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 10:19, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 24.04.2012 10:14, david [at] gbenet kirjoitti:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm using Mint Linux - gpg2 and gpg are both using /.gpg I have no /.gpg2 dir on my system
>> and no dir gets created when I run gpg2 --version. No dirs are created in usr/bin either -
>> in fact I had to create a home/david/.gpg
>>
>> The question are:
>> What (and where) script calls gpg to load?
>> Can I delete gpg and then run gpg2?
>> Can I make a dir ie /.gpg2 and copy all to it and then get enigmail to use gpg2?
>>
>> David

> Both GPG and GPG2 use the same ~/.gnupg directory.
>
> 1. I don't understand this question.
> 2. You said that you are on Linux Mint, which uses apt, which requires
> gpg1, so you might get warnings when trying to remove it. I recommend
> just keeping both.
> 3. As I said above, both use ~/.gnupg. If you want to use gpg2 with
> Enigmail, open Enigmail preferences and on basic tab you should see gpg
> location. Check the "override with" box and write (or browse) /usr/bin/gpg2.

Thanks Mika,

I have done as you have suggested. It is to be noted that whenever I install a new Linux
disro I always run gpg --version - Linux Mint does not create ~/.gnupg automatically one has
to create the directory (folder) by hand -as this function's not and there's no way to set
how long the passphrase will last as this function is not available in any gpg-agent.

David

- --

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:04, david [at] gbenet said:

> I have done as you have suggested. It is to be noted that whenever I
> install a new Linux disro I always run gpg --version - Linux Mint does
> not create ~/.gnupg automatically one has

I did a quick test by adding a new user on a pretty standard Debian box
and running gpg:

footest [at] sor:~$ gpg -k
gpg: directory `/home/footest/.gnupg' created
gpg: new configuration file `/home/footest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/footest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
gpg: keyring `/home/footest/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `/home/footest/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /home/footest/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
footest [at] sor:~$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10

Another new user for gpg2:

bartest [at] sor:~$ gpg2 -k
gpg: directory `/home/bartest/.gnupg' created
gpg: new configuration file `/home/bartest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/bartest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
gpg: keyring `/home/bartest/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
gpg: /home/bartest/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
bartest [at] sor:~$ gpg2 --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.19
libgcrypt 1.4.5

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

david at gbenet

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 12:41, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:04, david [at] gbenet said:
>
>> I have done as you have suggested. It is to be noted that whenever I
>> install a new Linux disro I always run gpg --version - Linux Mint does
>> not create ~/.gnupg automatically one has
>
> I did a quick test by adding a new user on a pretty standard Debian box
> and running gpg:
>
> footest [at] sor:~$ gpg -k
> gpg: directory `/home/footest/.gnupg' created
> gpg: new configuration file `/home/footest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
> gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/footest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
> gpg: keyring `/home/footest/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
> gpg: keyring `/home/footest/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
> gpg: /home/footest/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> footest [at] sor:~$ gpg --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.10
>
> Another new user for gpg2:
>
> bartest [at] sor:~$ gpg2 -k
> gpg: directory `/home/bartest/.gnupg' created
> gpg: new configuration file `/home/bartest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' created
> gpg: WARNING: options in `/home/bartest/.gnupg/gpg.conf' are not yet active during this run
> gpg: keyring `/home/bartest/.gnupg/pubring.gpg' created
> gpg: /home/bartest/.gnupg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
> bartest [at] sor:~$ gpg2 --version
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.19
> libgcrypt 1.4.5
>

> Shalom-Salam,
>
> Werner

Werner,

I too ran the gpg -k on a new user accounts and got the same results as you. The question
is: Are both run at launch time? Or can you set which one to run?

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”
http:/counter.li.org 512854

peter at digitalbrains

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On 24/04/12 14:20, david [at] gbenet wrote:
> I too ran the gpg -k on a new user accounts and got the same results as you. The question
> is: Are both run at launch time? Or can you set which one to run?

Perhaps you should explain what you are trying to accomplish in the end. I read
something about how long a passphrase will last, are you trying to decrypt
multiple e-mails after entering your passphrase only once?

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt

david at gbenet

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

Re: gpg2 [In reply to]

On 24.04.2012 19:47, david [at] gbenet wrote:
> On 24/04/12 13:33, Peter Lebbing wrote:
>> On 24/04/12 14:20, david [at] gbenet wrote:
>>> I too ran the gpg -k on a new user accounts and got the same results as you. The question
>>> is: Are both run at launch time? Or can you set which one to run?
>
>> Perhaps you should explain what you are trying to accomplish in the end. I read
>> something about how long a passphrase will last, are you trying to decrypt
>> multiple e-mails after entering your passphrase only once?
>
>> Peter.
>
> Peter,
>
> To the question "are you trying to decrypt multiple e-mails at once" the answer is yes. I
> had the ability to set how long the passphrase was loaded - "GPA" with Ubuntu but it seems
> not available with Mint Linux - am discovering there's a lot I can't change with Mint Linux!
> Oh well ..........

I am almost sure that GPA is available for Linux Mint in package "gpa".