Mailing List Archive: GnuPG: users

new user anxiety

GnuPG users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mtw at view

new user anxiety

Found nothing in the FAQ on this.

I thought I'd start using gnupg, got the latest version and went

gpg --verify gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2.sig gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2

Result:

gpg: Signature made Tue 27 Mar 2012 19:33:35 CST using RSA key ID
4F25E3B6
gpg: Good signature from "Werner Koch (dist sig)"
gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
owner.
Primary key fingerprint: D869 2123 C406 5DEA 5E0F 3AB5 249B 39D2 4F25
E3B6

Just wondering who is masquerading as a guy named Werner Koch and
necessarily using an untrusted key. Maybe my named has been got at
and I'm not getting gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2 from where I think, right?
What is the IP address of the genuine site, can anyone tell me?

Hum. Found the same re the character who supposedly signed GNU Hello,
one Karl Something-or-other. Same problem, someone faking his
identity...? (Assuming he exists, of course.) Is this normal? Why
the capitalized WARNING if it's normal? What's going on? A newbie'd
like to know.

rjh at sixdemonbag

Re: new user anxiety [In reply to]

On 4/16/2012 12:12 AM, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
> Found nothing in the FAQ on this.

First, it's an entirely expected thing. It's not a problem, it's just a
thing.

Until you have personally vouched for the fact a certificate belongs to
a certain person, GnuPG will warn you about trusting signatures made by
that certificate. You haven't vouched for Werner's certificate, so
GnuPG is warning you. That's all.

You can get rid of the error message by:

gpg --edit-key 4f25e3b6 lsign

Enter your passphrase, and GnuPG will know that you are vouching for the
fact certificate 0x4F25E3B6 really belongs to Werner.

Try verifying the signature again, and the warning message will disappear.

Hope this helps!

mika.henrik.mainio at hotmail

Re: new user anxiety [In reply to]

16.04.2012 07:12, Michael Talbot-Wilson kirjoitti:
> Found nothing in the FAQ on this.
>
> I thought I'd start using gnupg, got the latest version and went
>
> gpg --verify gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2.sig gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2
>
> Result:
>
> gpg: Signature made Tue 27 Mar 2012 19:33:35 CST using RSA key ID
> 4F25E3B6
> gpg: Good signature from "Werner Koch (dist sig)"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.
> Primary key fingerprint: D869 2123 C406 5DEA 5E0F 3AB5 249B 39D2 4F25
> E3B6
>
> Just wondering who is masquerading as a guy named Werner Koch and
> necessarily using an untrusted key. Maybe my named has been got at
> and I'm not getting gnupg-2.0.19.tar.bz2 from where I think, right?
> What is the IP address of the genuine site, can anyone tell me?
>
> Hum. Found the same re the character who supposedly signed GNU Hello,
> one Karl Something-or-other. Same problem, someone faking his
> identity...? (Assuming he exists, of course.) Is this normal? Why
> the capitalized WARNING if it's normal? What's going on? A newbie'd
> like to know.

That warning means that you (or person whose key you have signed) hasn't
signed that key.
See also
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html#reason_examples

I hope that this helps.

--
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728

kf at sumptuouscapital

Re: new user anxiety [In reply to]

mtw at view

Re: new user anxiety [In reply to]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> On 4/16/2012 12:12 AM, Michael Talbot-Wilson wrote:
>> Found nothing in the FAQ on this.
>
> First, it's an entirely expected thing. It's not a problem, it's just a
> thing.

Thanks. And thanks to everyone who responded. I think I found the
answer overnight in Lucas's book, the section "Email from Beyond Your
Web of Trust" (p. 120). I guess I need to _have_ some such web.

Thanks again.

david at gbenet

Re: new user anxiety [In reply to]